1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Accelerator pedal swap: Bonus Builts ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:48 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Accelerator pedal swap: Bonus Builts ?

Hello, I know this is a silly question. but it got me thinking about what everyone is using. and I dont think I saw this one covered in the FAQ sticky at the top of the page, so I thought I would ask anyway.

The 52 F6 I have does not have a pedal so I am just going to find something that will or can be made to work from the local pick and pull, soon as I can make time to go again.

I will just look for something similar to stock to make work, (maybe 60 70's Ford trucks) but I was just thinking I would ask before I go if anyone has used anything specific from any particular donor vehicle???

the truck has the original 239 CI flathead, carb and linkage etc. I need to mess with the pedal linkage becasue it appears at a quick look as if the ball/spring end does not really protrude very far into the cab so I hope I dont need to lenghten it or anything?? maybe remove some of the rubber floor mat?

Thanks

Josh

Old 05-27-2009, 06:08 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to use one from a 1995 T-bird. Has three bolts and attaches to the firewall. It has a rubber boot for the cable that is reusable. I'm told that about 1991-1996 maybe more the T-bird, cougar and the Marrk VIII are the same. I'm not sure because I haven't checked each. Pick-a-part should tell everything. Brake Pedal assy is a easy install also. It only attaches to the back side of the master cyclinder using four bolts. Steering column is only 22 inches long before the first universal joint using four bolts. I bought the whole car stripped it and resold it. chuck

Old 05-27-2009, 08:17 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 49fordpickumup
I am going to use one from a 1995 T-bird. Has three bolts and attaches to the firewall. It has a rubber boot for the cable that is reusable. I'm told that about 1991-1996 maybe more the T-bird, cougar and the Marrk VIII are the same. I'm not sure because I haven't checked each. Pick-a-part should tell everything. Brake Pedal assy is a easy install also. It only attaches to the back side of the master cyclinder using four bolts. Steering column is only 22 inches long before the first universal joint using four bolts. I bought the whole car stripped it and resold it. chuck
I have the accelerator and brake pedal and master cylinder from a 1995 T-bird and it worked very good for my application. I also had a complete car and used a lot of parts from it.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
So if you have the original engine, carb and linkage, why not use the original pedal?

You can get them at the resto parts places (MACs, Carpenter, LMC, C&G) C&G was the most expensive. The part # is TAAA-9735 and it's $15. All the rest it's $12.95.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:41 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
So if you have the original engine, carb and linkage, why not use the original pedal?

You can get them at the resto parts places (MACs, Carpenter, LMC, C&G) C&G was the most expensive. The part # is TAAA-9735 and it's $15. All the rest it's $12.95.
well ok, that's a very good question. LOL I guess maybe I just wanted one more reason to go to the pick and pull? guess I should have looked in one of those supliers first . That does sound like the best , easiest way to go.

Either that or I just like to make things more difficult than neccesary! I think that's it....

EDIT: Ok so I just went and dug throgh my parts stash again and found a stock pedal, but on the back side it just has two screw holes? how does that attach to the little ball and spring on the linkage, the LMC catalog I looked in does not show it? guess I can just fab up a little peice of really thin sheet metal or? and ?
attach to the back of pedal to hold the ball in place?

Old 05-28-2009, 01:29 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The pedal should be hard rubber covering a plate. There should be a hinged foot on the bottom that screws down on the floor board. On the back of the pedal there should be a hole in the rubber with a thick rubber collar around it. The throttle linkage that comes through the lower firewall has a ball on the end of it. The ball gets pushed into the hole in the pedal....Hint, use a drop of dish soap to help push it in then wash it off.

I used the repro one from C&G and it all connected up perfect.

I can take pictures in the morning if you need them - let em know.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:48 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Julie, thanks for the description of the attach point, a picture might help, if its not a problem. But I will probably just fab something up to make it work or look for something similar to use to attach the ball to the back of pedal?

Thanks again

Josh

Old 05-28-2009, 09:02 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mytbtruck
I have the accelerator and brake pedal and master cylinder from a 1995 T-bird and it worked very good for my application. I also had a complete car and used a lot of parts from it.

Great Pic ! For My GM Steering Column Bracket Solution. Mwah-hahahaha

Old 05-28-2009, 10:06 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
I need to look before talking, (or typing) the two screw holes on the back side of the pedal are the two options of where the metal ball goes, Duh,
I feel really smart now

If anything I hope I can at least add some sort of comical (stupid) relief to this forum

Old 05-29-2009, 08:50 AM
Huntfamily53
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eman92082

I thought the same thing...

Old 05-29-2009, 02:02 PM
ops32
Junior User
Originally Posted by Huntfamily53
I thought the same thing...
As did I...

Old 05-29-2009, 08:40 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by eman92082

If you need a different picture or more info let me know.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:23 AM
CAPTAIN
Junior User
Hey, got any pics of the engine side where you mounted the master cylinder?

Also, you used the steering column for the Tbird too? What went into the install? Difficult?

Old 05-30-2009, 11:59 AM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN
Hey, got any pics of the engine side where you mounted the master cylinder?

Also, you used the steering column for the Tbird too? What went into the install? Difficult?
The steering column is from an 89 S-10. We replaced the fire wall and made a piece for the column to slide in at the bottom.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:57 PM
CAPTAIN
Junior User
Very nice setup!