1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 5.4 CC 2WD Front End CLINKING/CLUNKING Noise the Dealer cant fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 01:41 PM
xr75kid
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 5.4 CC 2WD Front End CLINKING/CLUNKING Noise the Dealer cant fix

My 05 F250 CC 2WD with 28,000 miles has been to the dealer 3 times to try to fix the noise coming from the front end . When I go to gently hit the brakes after coming down or up a hill, also after I go though a few twists and turns and come up or down a hill and gently apply the brakes. Sounds like CLINK...CLINK and loud . Like hitting a brake drum with a ball peen hammer. Sounds to be coming from both sides of the front end. Im now officially out of my 3 year warranty and into my premium care warranty. The last time I took it to the dealer, it was there for a week and I got a call saying they had good news for me , a ford engineer had went for a test drive and thought it was the driveshaft. So after sitting at the dealer for another 2 weeks the driveshaft finally came. I picked it up while it was raining and took it for a test drive and the sound was barely noticeable but still there , I took it back to the dealer and a service manager went for a test drive with me and it would not make the noise. I talked to the service manager while on a test drive and he said the noise might be gone because its wet underneath .He also said he had the mechanic hit all the bolts under the front end with a impact. Why tighten the front end bolts if you say its the driveshaft ? I looked under the front end and it looks like they also sprayed lubricant on some of the front end parts.Now the sound is back with a vengence and worse than ever. I was told by the service manager it is safe to drive. I am taking my family on a trip accross the pacific northwest towing a trailer in about 2 weeks. Any suggestions ? I am at my wits end. Even thinking of trading it in on a GMC. I love the truck but this front end noise is too much. They said they checked the ball joints and they are good. The other 2 times it was in the shop for this same thing, the first time they replaced a muffler guard under the rear doors and some clips on the front brake pads. Thanks for any advice.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:23 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,510 Likes on 1,313 Posts
Have you looked at everthing that has bushings, don't trust the dealership. Just remember these thing are made by humans and you might have to get under there and look at everything yourself. Jack it up, put on stands, make sure it's safe. Grab and try to move everything. Not that I don't trust the dealerships, but when it's not theirs they keep you coming back for more.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:26 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,510 Likes on 1,313 Posts
Also, do you have the camper package or the front sway bar?

Old 05-28-2009, 09:27 AM
xr75kid
Junior User
Great Advice. Thanks. My Dad told me to do just that and look at everything myself. I do have the front sway bar. This noise is like clockwork on my way to work every day, I make a turn to the left going uphill then a turn to the right continuing uphill and once I crest the top of the hill and gently apply the brakes.....CLINK....CLINK from under the front end at both sides , sometimes one at a time and sometimes both sides at the same time in stereo.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:00 AM
12ozd
Posting Guru

Check sway bar bushings and end links.

Since you're out of warranty,take it to a private shop for a look.