How does your 300 powered F150 pull?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:57 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Freaksh0w
I'd get the codes pulled before you go buying sensors, though. A bad coolant sensor usually makes a Ford run very rich. It'd be nice to find a sensor causing your good day/bad day problems.
I hear you. I might just do that. Last time I tried though, Advanced said they couldn't pull my codes because my truck is a '94. They said they only can '96 on up. If they can't pull codes, I'll try the sensor. If that doesn't work, I'll take my truck up to the Ford place (yuck!!!!) and see if they will run codes.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:16 PM
rockin300
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does it blow black smoke when it idles ruff or is your exhaust smokeless

Old 05-29-2009, 12:19 AM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
I hear you. I might just do that. Last time I tried though, Advanced said they couldn't pull my codes because my truck is a '94. They said they only can '96 on up. If they can't pull codes, I'll try the sensor. If that doesn't work, I'll take my truck up to the Ford place (yuck!!!!) and see if they will run codes.
ahh, they think that obd I is unscannable apparently. walmart carries some cheap about 40$ scanners for ford pickups just make sure it covers OBD I stuff. they are cheap but its really all you need, i think autozone and advance should carry them, it sounds like you may have just found a guy that didnt know about them. me, i use my dads fancy pants snapon mt2500 scanner, which covers everything.

unless ford is willing to scan it real cheap, which being a dealership i dunno how much ill believe that, you might just want to buy yourself one of those cheap obd I scanners and youll have it forever whenever you need it. just my 2 cents.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:07 AM
rikard
Posting Guru
You can pull the codes without a scanner on the Ford OBD1 with a paperclip. I know that fordfuelinjection.com and other sites have the info to pull codes.
regards
rikard

Old 05-29-2009, 06:10 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rockin300
does it blow black smoke when it idles ruff or is your exhaust smokeless
Nah. It only does it for a second after coming off highway speed. It smooths back out but idles lower than normal (normal being 800 / 900)

This is off topic, but this place is Ford heaven. That's all I see up here. They're all Ford 4x4 trucks, many of them old like ours. I feel like I'm Truck **** or something. My neck is wore out from looking back and forth.

rockin, I seen a truck like yours yesterday. I wondered if it was you!

Originally Posted by 70torino429
ahh, they think that obd I is unscannable apparently. walmart carries some cheap about 40$ scanners for ford pickups just make sure it covers OBD I stuff. they are cheap but its really all you need, i think autozone and advance should carry them, it sounds like you may have just found a guy that didnt know about them. me, i use my dads fancy pants snapon mt2500 scanner, which covers everything.

unless ford is willing to scan it real cheap, which being a dealership i dunno how much ill believe that, you might just want to buy yourself one of those cheap obd I scanners and youll have it forever whenever you need it. just my 2 cents.
I think you're dead on the money amigo.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Freaksh0w
Elder User
Well, my friend worked at Autzone. He pulled mine, and it's an 86 model. Maybe they only do 96+ cars as part of their rules. I'm actually almost sure that's what he was saying. But, like people say, you can buy one of these code readers for $30-$40, and it will probably save you that much on sensors on your first use of it. I'd highly recommend it. If I ever need codes pulled again, I'm just going to pick me one up. As a matter of fact, I've been meaning to get one even though my truck hasn't had any problems since I replaced the TPS well over a year ago.

And a bad TPS will make your truck idle too low, and if you unplug it, it will make it idle high. Also, it makes your truck feel sluggish, or it did mine. I know we have different engines, but don't go out and buy the first sensor based on an opinion. I'm not disrespecting his opinion, that's all anyone can give online. BUT, I was told my exact symptoms sounded like a bad IAC. So I cleaned mine. Same problems. Then I bought a new one for $60. Same problems. Then I got my codes pulled and it pointed to a cheaper problem, the TPS for $30. Not a problem since.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:36 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Well, my friend worked at Autzone. He pulled mine, and it's an 86 model. Maybe they only do 96+ cars as part of their rules. I'm actually almost sure that's what he was saying. But, like people say, you can buy one of these code readers for $30-$40, and it will probably save you that much on sensors on your first use of it. I'd highly recommend it. If I ever need codes pulled again, I'm just going to pick me one up. As a matter of fact, I've been meaning to get one even though my truck hasn't had any problems since I replaced the TPS well over a year ago.

And a bad TPS will make your truck idle too low, and if you unplug it, it will make it idle high. Also, it makes your truck feel sluggish, or it did mine. I know we have different engines, but don't go out and buy the first sensor based on an opinion. I'm not disrespecting his opinion, that's all anyone can give online. BUT, I was told my exact symptoms sounded like a bad IAC. So I cleaned mine. Same problems. Then I bought a new one for $60. Same problems. Then I got my codes pulled and it pointed to a cheaper problem, the TPS for $30. Not a problem since.
Opinions and knowledge is what this forum (and thread) is based on!

Thanks a lot. I decided not to buy the sensor after reading this. When I get the time I'll try and get the codes pulled / or do it myself.

Also, a side note. Truck ran like a beast today. Never went up to 50mph tho. I will here before long. I'll let you guys know how my truck does on the highway.

I wonder if it's possible it just took that much time for my computer to re-calibrate the air/fuel mixture. -shrug- Whatever. My truck ran good today so far. Hopefully this little bug will go away.. (do they ever??)

Old 05-29-2009, 01:39 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
2666 post to 2667. ignore this post.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:52 PM
91Bronc300
Elder User
LMAO you a little superstitious Bill?

Old 05-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Freaksh0w
Elder User
Also makes you wonder if it could be something as simple as a stopped up catalytic converter. I'd say your exhaust manifold would look pretty 'white' though.

And again, don't want to sound like I was going against anyone's advice. This website is the best website I've ever been to. Has the most knowledgeable members.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:49 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 91Bronc300
LMAO you a little superstitious Bill?
Yes

Also makes you wonder if it could be something as simple as a stopped up catalytic converter. I'd say your exhaust manifold would look pretty 'white' though.

And again, don't want to sound like I was going against anyone's advice. This website is the best website I've ever been to. Has the most knowledgeable members.
I doubt it's the cat. I'm pretty sure it's gutted.

Truck ran great today. Not sure what to think. I'll ignore it for now (not much choice) and hope the gremmlin disapreared. Thanks for the time, information and concern guys. I'll let you all know if I need any more help. Yall have been great (as normal!).

Edit: I ran on both tanks today and didn't notice a difference. Truck ran like a beast.. I was chirping tires left and right. -shrug- What am I to think? I did notice I merely have a soft spot in my power band (50 - 60). Apparently, whatever was wrong with my truck for the trip up, only magnafied this (the auto tranny doesn't help either). How my truck runs now is pretty smooth with decent power. I'm happy with it right now. If only it stays like this.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Milwaukee1979F150
Posting Guru
Have you try remove battery cable off battery and wait 5 min then hook.

See if it help?

We did on Suzuiki X90 that have NO POWER when drive Huge bridge it feel like something prevent engine rev it just stay 2,000 rpm with my foot on pedal full way.

When reset battery cable it went back to normal.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:52 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Milwaukee1979F150
Have you try remove battery cable off battery and wait 5 min then hook.

See if it help?

We did on Suzuiki X90 that have NO POWER when drive Huge bridge it feel like something prevent engine rev it just stay 2,000 rpm with my foot on pedal full way.

When reset battery cable it went back to normal.

I just did this before the trip. Who knows man. I just don't have the time or tools to mess with it right now. Right now it's running good again so I'll just shrug it off. Right now I'm more concerend about the girlfriend I left back home in Texas who is thinking about giving me up.

"Dear John..."

Old 05-30-2009, 05:04 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
This may or may not be your problem, however...

How old are the O2 sensors?

These are a tune up item and should be replaced at regular intervals.

On my truck the O2 sensor is supposed to be changed every 30,000 as example, but I've seen some at a 75,000 and 100,000 replacement interval.

If they are the original ones, especially on a 200,000+ mile engine, I'd change them. A worn out, or plugged O2 sensor can cause a rich condition as well. Also the computer cannot compensate for the change in elevation, if it doesn't or cant read the change in air levels, it also does this with the O2 sensor.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:45 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
This may or may not be your problem, however...

How old are the O2 sensors?

These are a tune up item and should be replaced at regular intervals.

On my truck the O2 sensor is supposed to be changed every 30,000 as example, but I've seen some at a 75,000 and 100,000 replacement interval.

If they are the original ones, especially on a 200,000+ mile engine, I'd change them. A worn out, or plugged O2 sensor can cause a rich condition as well. Also the computer cannot compensate for the change in elevation, if it doesn't or cant read the change in air levels, it also does this with the O2 sensor.

02 sensor is still new, thanks for the tip tho.

Quick Reply: How does your 300 powered F150 pull?