Sponsored by: DP Tuner

"Temporary" bedcover

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Gcrop
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Temporary" bedcover

Just a (possibly worthless) thought. If you get better MPG with a bed cover, would it be worthwhile to create come kind of bedcover with plywood? Sort of a table looking thing that would be secured to the bed.

Something I coudl easily pop in or out of the bed depending if I plan on hauling anything.

Again, might not be worthwhile, not sure.

I know I saw Mythbusters prove that tailgate up is better than tailgate down but not sure about the bedcover, just going on what I "think" might result in MPG with this idea.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:04 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
I did the plywood thing....

Hey Dave here. I had a 99 with the V-10 gas in it. I simply took a couple of pieces of 3/4 plywood for the cover. I know it was HEAVY but I was able to put a ladder on it to use it for a work platform....
Anyway, I took some 3/4 I believe...aluminum angle and screwed it to the inside lip of the bed side, so when you drop the precut sheet of plywood INSIDE the bed, it would lay flush with the top of the bedside. I put a piano hinge about 3/4 of the way back (short bed) and it then would hinge up and back on the front side. I also put heavy gate hinges back on the front of the bed and this allowed the whole shooting match to hinge up and gently lay againist the cab. I put some door rubber bumpers on the wood where it would lay on that when it was hinged up against the cab. I then painted a large confederate flag on the front section and a Harley Bar and shield on the back part. It worked FANTASTIC and was secure againist theft. I put a NASCAR style hood pin setup on the back corners and a simple padlock did the trick with a gate handle to lift it up and back. It worked fantastic TILL i bought a fifth wheel camper in Florida and had to take it off. With no where to store it, I had to tearfully leave it at the RV dealer. If I am able to find and scan some pics, it was a masterpiece to look at for sure...It did give me a couple of more MPG on the gasser so in theory it would do the same for a diesel...Good luck.....Dave

Old 05-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Gcrop
Senior User
Originally Posted by DaveWilliams
Hey Dave here. I had a 99 with the V-10 gas in it. I simply took a couple of pieces of 3/4 plywood for the cover. I know it was HEAVY but I was able to put a ladder on it to use it for a work platform....
Anyway, I took some 3/4 I believe...aluminum angle and screwed it to the inside lip of the bed side, so when you drop the precut sheet of plywood INSIDE the bed, it would lay flush with the top of the bedside. I put a piano hinge about 3/4 of the way back (short bed) and it then would hinge up and back on the front side. I also put heavy gate hinges back on the front of the bed and this allowed the whole shooting match to hinge up and gently lay againist the cab. I put some door rubber bumpers on the wood where it would lay on that when it was hinged up against the cab. I then painted a large confederate flag on the front section and a Harley Bar and shield on the back part. It worked FANTASTIC and was secure againist theft. I put a NASCAR style hood pin setup on the back corners and a simple padlock did the trick with a gate handle to lift it up and back. It worked fantastic TILL i bought a fifth wheel camper in Florida and had to take it off. With no where to store it, I had to tearfully leave it at the RV dealer. If I am able to find and scan some pics, it was a masterpiece to look at for sure...It did give me a couple of more MPG on the gasser so in theory it would do the same for a diesel...Good luck.....Dave
Not sure I would be as elaborate as your setup but the bolded text is what I was looking for!

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2009, 04:36 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They do got some cloth kind with the rails, had them on my previous vehicles that worked with some sucsess, about a 100.00 or so.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:12 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Red Neck bed cover

I found a couple of pictures.....and the only 2 that exist of what once was my pride and joy on my old blue truck. Both pictures are combined in one scan. The confederate flag was on top and the Harley bar and shield was on the bottom or back half near the tailgate. I miss it when it comes to putting the ladder on there and working in the garage. I put road sign posts on the underside for extra rigidity and a floor jack in the middle just in case. I also had bed corner tiedown rings so I could tie down the ladder when I used it to get to the ceiling of the garage. Definitely different and original..Take care, Dave

Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2009, 08:15 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, that's about as southern as it gets. Love it.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by DaveWilliams
I found a couple of pictures.....and the only 2 that exist of what once was my pride and joy on my old blue truck. Both pictures are combined in one scan. The confederate flag was on top and the Harley bar and shield was on the bottom or back half near the tailgate. I miss it when it comes to putting the ladder on there and working in the garage. I put road sign posts on the underside for extra rigidity and a floor jack in the middle just in case. I also had bed corner tiedown rings so I could tie down the ladder when I used it to get to the ceiling of the garage. Definitely different and original..Take care, Dave
Holy schnikies batman, somebody put some attention and detail into the painting on that bedcover...

FWIW, there was a 2nd mythbuser where they showed that bedcovers do not save a whole lot on mileage. From what I recall, they found that the air circulates in a truck bed, and there is no added drag as the airflow just passes over the air circulating in the bed.

Doesn't mean they aren't cool.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Mike F250
Laughing Gas

last year I found a used soft cover on craigslist for $40. Might be cheaper than plywood, hardware and beer for the assembly process?

Old 05-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Gcrop
Senior User
Originally Posted by Smokin'
FWIW, there was a 2nd mythbuser where they showed that bedcovers do not save a whole lot on mileage. From what I recall, they found that the air circulates in a truck bed, and there is no added drag as the airflow just passes over the air circulating in the bed.
Found it!

Tailgate Up or Down Revisited: Mesh tailgate, hardcover, tailgate removal
See: Tailgate Up or Down
For the original myth they did a driving test and a water vortex test, both of which showed that you save more gas with the tailgate up. Their viewers suggested that they test three new conditions:
  • Hardroof cover over pickup bed
  • Mesh tailgate
  • Remove the entire tailgate
They had a much simpler test setup this time. They had an electronic flowmeter hooked into fuel line of Jamie's pickup. Adam: "For anyone out there that wants to e-mail telling me that we screwed up this test, we have already calibrated this thing, to this car. So it's going to be perfect!" They drove the pickup truck up and down the stretch of 101 around Candlestick and the Cow Palace.
  • Tailgate down: 5.2 gallons/hr @ 55mph. 1.2 gallons/hr @ 25.
  • Tailgate up: 5.0 gallons/hr @ 55mph. No reading for 25mph given, but tailgate up was once again confirmed as more efficient.
  • Hardcover over pickup bed: 5.0 gallons/hr @ 55mph. 1.2 gallons/hr @25mph
  • Tailgate mesh: 5% more efficient
  • Tailgate removed: about the same as tailgate up and hardcover
Mesh was most efficient by 5%
still busted

Originally Posted by Mike F250
last year I found a used soft cover on craigslist for $40. Might be cheaper than plywood, hardware and beer for the assembly process?
Thanks, I didn't think about that.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:05 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by Gcrop
Found it!

Thanks, I didn't think about that.

AhhhHHhh! Glad I wasn't imagining that. Pretty bad if you are making up your own Mythbusters episodes.

Have you thought about a locking hard top bedcover? Those are cool because you can leave stuff in your bed and not worry about people taking off with it (unless they REALLY want it and smash the locks). The retractable ones are neat too, no big bulky pieces of plastic to remove in case you need to haul something big.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:58 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Originally Posted by zx250
Damn, that's about as southern as it gets. Love it.
X2

I like that cover, NICE Work !!!!

Old 05-20-2009, 08:15 AM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Originally Posted by RedBoat
X2

I like that cover, NICE Work !!!!

Thanks a bunch, I sure miss it!!

Old 05-20-2009, 08:35 AM
SailCO26
Senior User
FWIW, I measured a slight increase after putting a soft cover on the bed - but I was only about 1/4 tank into it being on when I filled up for this weekend.

Even if the gain ends up being negligible, it's worth it to me to have some protection for the contents in the bed (I play in a band and sometimes equipment ends up back there!), some slight measure of security (if you can't see it...), it looks good, and best of all - I can roll it up against the cab and the camper will still fit so no hardware removal required.