6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

TSB 08-28-1 and hesitation in rainy weather

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 09:52 PM
koboss1
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

did this work if so will send other

Last edited by koboss1; 10-03-2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: my wife was helping me upload pics this is confusing?
Old 10-03-2009, 09:58 PM
koboss1
Elder User
Old 10-03-2009, 10:03 PM
koboss1
Elder User
Old 10-03-2009, 10:05 PM
koboss1
Elder User
did that work guys, can you see the pic? of the degas bottle, reminds me of my 6.0 when the heads popped

sorry for the multiples

Old 10-04-2009, 05:52 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
can't see the pics. I can never post a pic either, use photobucket

Old 10-04-2009, 07:27 AM
koboss1
Elder User
here goes from photo bucket

Pictures by koboss - Photobucket

Old 10-04-2009, 07:35 AM
sawtooth
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found out more info on the CAC

Originally Posted by senix
I don't know of anyone that has bought one off hand. But I would think there's would be good to go.
Senix,

I called Banks Friday and heres what they said. "The turbos compress the air that is then blown into the CAC. (Compressing the air raises the temp so you must re-cool the air). Also, compressing the air seperates the moisture from the air. Then the problem with the factory CAC is there are dead spots which have low air flow thus allowing the water time to deposite to the bottom of the cooler where it sits until you provide enough throttle / boost to blow it out. He feels their cooler which has 60% more flow would not allow the water to build up or collect thus would not cause any issues. The only issue though is their unit cost $1250 bucks. Now going back to the replacement cooler from Ford. I have done more testing and it is better than the factory unit. I drove for an hour the other day in rainy weather and the problem was hardly noticable at all. Before my truck would blow water/smoke bad. So it is better just not perfect. The only thing that blows my mine is why do some trucks like your not have any at all. I even have the Banks intake like you do so not sure whats going on here.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:37 AM
senix
Super Moderator
serious issues!

Originally Posted by koboss1
here goes from photo bucket

Pictures by koboss - Photobucket

I could see those pics. So sounds like on your trip home the truck went into limp mode? Maybe not as you didn't mention the check eng light was on or having the wrench symbol in your message center.

It appears to me that everything is puking out the degass bottle and being sprayed all over via the fan.

So why is it puking? To me I am thinking an oEGRverheat condition. I assume guages were reading normally? If so then I suspect something in the line of a bad or stuck thermostat. What about heat in the cab? If you put in on heat will it produce? If so then thermostat may be ok.

Then EGR may still be suspect at this point. You have to get a flashlight in there and follow all the tubing to see if you can point point a leak. I might be a pin-hole. Also on top of the EGR check the hose clamps for tightness.

Lets us know.

scott

Old 10-04-2009, 07:42 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by sawtooth
Senix,

I called Banks Friday and heres what they said. "The turbos compress the air that is then blown into the CAC. (Compressing the air raises the temp so you must re-cool the air). Also, compressing the air seperates the moisture from the air. Then the problem with the factory CAC is there are dead spots which have low air flow thus allowing the water time to deposite to the bottom of the cooler where it sits until you provide enough throttle / boost to blow it out. He feels their cooler which has 60% more flow would not allow the water to build up or collect thus would not cause any issues. The only issue though is their unit cost $1250 bucks. Now going back to the replacement cooler from Ford. I have done more testing and it is better than the factory unit. I drove for an hour the other day in rainy weather and the problem was hardly noticable at all. Before my truck would blow water/smoke bad. So it is better just not perfect. The only thing that blows my mine is why do some trucks like your not have any at all. I even have the Banks intake like you do so not sure whats going on here.

It is a bit of a mystery, humidity could be a factor, but we are not that far apart. We have humid upwards of 80% sometimes I have no problems.

What banks is saying makes perfect sense, but then again we all should have the problem to a certain degree except those out west with 10% humidity.

Did you try to take the lower hose off your cac and see if water drains out?

You do run it hard WOT every once in awhile?

Old 10-04-2009, 07:49 AM
sawtooth
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah every now and then i'll open her up. I havn't taken the hose off yet cause i've not had further problems. With the new cooler its solve the shorter driving issue. I'll have to wait to go on another trip to find out. I travel to Ohio through WV mountains and its always damp and foggy up there. 4 hours of that and i'm sure the problem will return.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:54 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by sawtooth
Senix,

What Banks is saying makes sense. What is interesting is we are not that far apart. We have high humidity here too in MD. Have you tried to take the lower hose off the CAC and see if water comes out?

I just really don't know why some do and some don't. I know that you run yours fairly hard so it gets a good work out. I could understand it if you never got it hot, up to normal operating temps.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:54 AM
koboss1
Elder User
yeah senix, no wrench or engine light, i had the a/c on so i didnt try the heat. and i checked the hoses and the one on the top almost looks like it doesnt fit right but will check and repost pics if i see anything. so you dont think this is a CAC problem.. wow this motor is real confusing. i have to learn all over again from the 6.0!!

koboss

Old 10-04-2009, 07:56 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by koboss1
yeah senix, no wrench or engine light, i had the a/c on so i didnt try the heat. and i checked the hoses and the one on the top almost looks like it doesnt fit right but will check and repost pics if i see anything. so you dont think this is a CAC problem.. wow this motor is real confusing. i have to learn all over again from the 6.0!!

koboss
I don't see how the cac could make it puke coolant. so you may have a couple of issues going on at the same time.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
That's not good. Your CAC can't have anything to do with that. I'm not familiar with all of the typical EGR cooler failure signs, but I don't think a bad EGR can cause puking out of the coolant bottle.

Never heard of head gaskets going on an un-tuned 6.4, but that's what it sounds like to me...

Old 10-04-2009, 10:47 AM
koboss1
Elder User
please say it aint so... Crazy001.. i hope its not head gaskets..i havent taken it out for a drive yet but i will hopefully it is back to running normal and it was just the rain that brought it on.. eitherway it has to go to the ford store.

Quick Reply: TSB 08-28-1 and hesitation in rainy weather