6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

TSB 08-28-1 and hesitation in rainy weather

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:39 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
Got my new CAC installed today. Took the tech. about 40 minutes! I looked at the old one and the new one together. The new one seems to be a little taller, the channels for the air inside the unit seem to be 1 or 2 mm's wider, the black paint is glossy.

I spoke with the tech about it, he said that the defective ones leak at the top and suck in water. He replaced one last week that seemed to be 1/2 full of water!

I have only had it today and I swear that the boost has much more muscle behind it than before. Not really more boost but more grunt from the boost. I can see how the leaky condition could water down the effectiveness of the boost pressure.

Awesome. Glad to hear you fixed up now. Mine is still working great with no issues. By the way i was speaking with Banks today and they have a aftermarket one thats avaliable. He said its around $1,200. He said the air temps will be reduced by at least 100F. Thats alot of money for sure but wonder if this new style will make that much more power. Anyway, thought that was interesting. I'm just glad the replacement cooler fixed our issues.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:34 AM
burrhead
Junior User
driven in a couple rains,, so far no problems and no white smoke..Hope it stays this way.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:14 PM
jrtraderny
Senior User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
Got my new CAC installed today. Took the tech. about 40 minutes! I looked at the old one and the new one together. The new one seems to be a little taller, the channels for the air inside the unit seem to be 1 or 2 mm's wider, the black paint is glossy.

I spoke with the tech about it, he said that the defective ones leak at the top and suck in water. He replaced one last week that seemed to be 1/2 full of water!

I have only had it today and I swear that the boost has much more muscle behind it than before. Not really more boost but more grunt from the boost. I can see how the leaky condition could water down the effectiveness of the boost pressure.
What that tech said I don't believe because the CAC is under pressure from the turbo's not under a vacuum. If the CAC had a leak you would be losing boost and you would have a whistling noise under the hood. More believable is what my tech came up with , there is an area in the CAC that collects moisture during low boost and when you go to high boost the moisture gets pushed into the engine.
jr

Old 06-18-2009, 07:34 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, you're right jr. I don't know if the heat exchanger was under vacuum or pressure, now I do. I must have not understood what my tech. was telling me.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:29 PM
jrtraderny
Senior User
On another note , it rained all night and all day here. Not one hint of white smoke and / or hesitation now. So it looks like the new CAC is the fix.
jr

Old 06-23-2009, 05:42 AM
trtex
Freshman User
I am glad that fixed you guys problems. Has any of you noticed how much boost you are getting now under full throttle and how much were you getting before the fix?

Old 06-23-2009, 07:30 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think I get higher boost numbers but I do think the engine uses the boost it is given better. Seems to get more out of it. I don't know if that makes any sense but I feel that the boost just makes more of a difference now than it did before.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:39 AM
sawtooth
Elder User
my boost is the same

Old 10-02-2009, 12:08 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
My problem is back. Does anyone know if the new Intercooler from Banks will fix this problem? i would buy one if it did.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:58 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
banks intercooler

Originally Posted by sawtooth
My problem is back. Does anyone know if the new Intercooler from Banks will fix this problem? i would buy one if it did.
I don't know of anyone that has bought one off hand. But I would think there's would be good to go.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:52 PM
koboss1
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
well just got home from town barely... truck wouldnt go over 50mph??? so i guess i have a bad CAC, im going to call on monday and give them the tsb numbers, i also have that damn thumping from the a/c and it is annoying.

i will take vloneys advice and tell them i have lots of white smoke while raining instead of just hesitation. thanks for the good post BTW Vloney!!

man what a dog when this happens, does it hurt the tranny at all, i have to let off the throttle or it wont change gears...almost like someone shut off 6 cylinders

I only read that on guys problem came back?? sorry i lost the name while writing this but it was about 5 posts back.. what was the outcome?

Koboss

Old 10-03-2009, 01:55 PM
koboss1
Elder User
Sorry Sawtooth! what became of your return of this problem? did you just get a bad CAC ?

thanks

Old 10-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by koboss1
well just got home from town barely... truck wouldnt go over 50mph??? so i guess i have a bad CAC, im going to call on monday and give them the tsb numbers, i also have that damn thumping from the a/c and it is annoying.
You don't have a bad CAC.

The problem described here is when cruising through moist air water collects in the CAC. When you hit the go pedal this water is blown out of the CAC and into your engine, causing white smoke. It would NOT be a lasting thing. You'd blow the water out, and then it would drive just fine as there would be no more moisture in your air intake.

Sounds to me like you have a bad EGR cooler...

Old 10-03-2009, 07:52 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I agree, sounds more like an EGR related issue. when the truck cools down. what is your degass water level?

Old 10-03-2009, 09:12 PM
koboss1
Elder User
ill check guys,! good point, cause i did not in another thread that it was using coolant and that there was white splater on the inside of the hood and the degass bottle looked like it came fron the upright egr cooler?

But one question, why so bad when it rains

i am going to pop the hood now and i will tel you what i have, if there is something i will post a pick.

thanks !! you guys are fabulous!!

koboss

Quick Reply: TSB 08-28-1 and hesitation in rainy weather