General Automotive Discussion

Cash for Clunkers program

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cash for Clunkers program

It would seem this may become a reality.

'Cash for clunkers' program gets a makeover - Apr. 30, 2009

How do you feel about this? I'm not pleased in the least. They aren't thinking this really hard.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
I think it's a bad idea.

Last edited by FTE Herman; 05-01-2009 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Political content only welcome in Club FTE.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
I know it will affect the availability of cheap used cars from that point on. That pisses me off, too. I refuse to buy a new car.

I've had so many old cars still pass emissions.

But, the $64,000 question is, where the hell are we going to get the money for this? Who is going to pay us for turning our cars in?

Obama included this in the stimulus bill, but was later removed.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:59 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Please, lets resist the temptation to politicize this topic! Cash for clunkers is nothing new. If you can get $700 for a POS that no one would buy and the salvage yard would only give you $200 for, what is wrong with that? In the past, such offers have been funded by private industry seeking to bank emissions credits.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:17 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing I read just the other day was an eye opener.

While older cars do pollute more than newer ones... The Carbon footprint of MAKING a NEW car far outweighs the additional pollution of the old car. It can take more than the lifetime of the new car to make up for the additional pollution created by making the new car. No one thinks about the secondary effects when we go fully green in our thinking.

Plus of course there is always the little old lady from Pasadena turning in her classic old car to the crusher and losing all those beautiful old cars that would see few additional miles if they were retired to a caring person who appreciated them.

Jim Henderson

Old 05-01-2009, 04:25 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
Clearly in my mind a voucher for the purchase of a new truck isn't going to happen, therefore, I'm not interested.

I think this would be more of a reality in states like California who actually do an annual emissions test. I've heard that smog related equipment is a very expensive repair.

Tim

Old 05-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Ship Boy
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Old 05-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Clearly in my mind a voucher for the purchase of a new truck isn't going to happen, therefore, I'm not interested.

I think this would be more of a reality in states like California who actually do an annual emissions test. I've heard that smog related equipment is a very expensive repair.

Tim

Theres emission testing here but classics are exempt. State dictates a classic as being 25 years and older.

California does testing also but they do 1975 and newer though. 1974 and older is exempt.

But this is just crazy though. How is $4,000 for your old car going to really help you buy a brand new car that is $20,000+. I mean the old car you own already so with how things are now I dont think peopl that already own a car will want to get rid of it and start paying monthly on a new car.

Thats why I dont buy new. You dont really own the car till you pay it off. Used old cars you own the moment you give the previous owner the money.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:00 PM
petes79f150
Posting Guru
The original intent of the proposed bill (over a year ago BTW) was to go after the cars and trucks that were just sitting in people's back yards, and recycle them, and actually give you more than $20 to haul them off. At least, that was the original intent, which made sense to me, after sitting through a lecture at SEMA. I sat in on a conversation with reps from Summit, Jeg's, Hemmings, OPG,..........it wasn't just to crush them, but actually to make OE parts avalable to the re-builder/restorer, instead of buying cheap overseas knock-offs (which they make from our recycled USA materials) then, as a last resort, recycle the decent quality USA made metal. It was meant to keep business in the USA and put money in your pocket for something that's just rusting away. Although, a LOT of the aftermarket manufacturers were against it, because it cut into their profits by creating competition against their offshore products. Can you say Gub'ment? This is a huge can o' worms. Perhaps Dennis Carpenter or BOTP will chime in.

Pete

Old 05-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Originally Posted by horsepuller
Cash for clunkers is nothing new. If you can get $700 for a POS that no one would buy and the salvage yard would only give you $200 for, what is wrong with that? In the past, such offers have been funded by private industry seeking to bank emissions credits.
I think what's new is this one will be nationwide, as in federal supporting this program instead of the private equity.

You won't get cold, hard cash for the clunker. You only get a discount voucher towards a new car. It's like trading it for retail value in for a new car, only it's going to the crusher.

It seems like they want us to spend even more, and some more!

Old 05-01-2009, 07:31 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
It won't work, but will be a fine opportunity to dump heaps of guano cars on da government.

There are plenty of suitable junk cars for trade-in, so we won't be losing many classics.
The good stuff that goes to salvage can then be picked over.

If the program covers used cars, I'm all over getting paid to buy a late model salvage vehicle
after turning in a "clunker".

Government has passed from the hands of the people, so comply with the letter of the law but exploit every legal loophole and take every advantage, just like our masters do.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:50 PM
rambuck
Senior User
Does my 2009 Chrysler Sebring fall into this category?

Old 05-02-2009, 12:13 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ship Boy
If I throw you a bone will you go away?

Old 05-02-2009, 04:58 AM
oldgoat49
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since it will be going only towards new cars it probably has limited value. I would wonder though what the value of the voucher is based on. The junker or the car that you try to buy? My guess would be the car that you buy. If though you could get a voucher say for $3000 on a old junker that you picked up for far less and went to buy a cheap entry level car of say $10 to $12000 it could make for a decent deal.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:48 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
Though I don'rt fully agree with the program, it has merit. There are tons of vehicle son the road that are simply neglected and could be too far gone to make it worth it to fix th em. Some states such as Illinios for example have no state inspection, period. I believe that most people keep up on thier maintanence but there are those who don't, won't or can't.

In my mind, the used lots would still be full of reliable quality older cars for those that can't or don't want to get a new one. Not everyone is going to qualify for affordable credit.

Both of my oldies for example, the '88 F-150 and the '99 Taurus are still in perfect running condition right down to the a/c systems.

A voucher against my '88 would probably fetch more money than I could get at trade or even private sale. But, the truck has been rebuilt (not restored) from stem to stern because I did it and paid for assistance when I was stumped.

The folks here on FTE seem to be as articulate as I am over a vehicle so this may or may not help us.

Tim

Quick Reply: Cash for Clunkers program