Sponsored by: Moser

Nitpicking my new Truck of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hitchman
I just took delivery early last week on my new Super Crew F-150 6.5' bed 2wd XLT. I'm moving the F-250 to the wife as her daily driver. She's not excited about driving the large truck but I have hope that it will grow on her. Now the the nitpicking.
1- The rear seat center console drink holder (the one on the back of the front seat center console) with an average size beverage from the fast food place, or a 16 oz water bottle, allows the drink to get crushed when the front seat center armrest console is flipped up. You would have thought someone would have tried that out in the development stage.
2- The tip out ash tray "I'm not a smoker" is useless, It would be great if it could be adapted to hold a couple of cd's. It is shaped like it could hold cd's but they just don't fit. It is to deep for change, and not thick enough for sunglasses, I don't really know what I may use it for.
3- The steering wheel, it is to far away, reminds me of old sports cars I owned 30 years ago. I'm over 6'2" and even when I move the pedals all the way forward, and the seat up, I still feel like I'm reaching to far.
4- I know everyone likes the look of jacked up trucks, but this F-150 bed is as high as the bed on my F-250 4wd. I don't see the point other than looks.
5- The front bumper, when I got home and really started to look it over, I thought some lower grill piece was missing. The big gap in the middle sure looked empty. I went back to the dealer to see what was missing; to my surprise, only the front license plate holder is all that goes there. It was not part of my package and the dealer pointed me at the parts dept. "They will sell you one if you want one". Every F-150 on the lot had a front license plate holder, with their dealer advertisement tag, I left shaking my head.
6- The tow package includes the hitch. I would like to change it for one of the brand I sell, the factory hitch is part of the bumper. The dealer tells me $326 for the standard XLT bumper, they would not even consider a swap for a reduced price. Anyone in Atlanta, metro want a factory hitch, I'll swap bumpers with you.
7- The dash (top and face) is all full of angles, hardly a flat surface anywhere to mount a cell phone holder or my gps. The only place I found flat enough to mount the cell was right where the shift lever is in drive. I stuck the gps mount disc in the flattest area on the dash top I could find. I'll likely get a surprise one day when it goes flying because the disc is only stuck on about half. I don't like the windshield mounts.
8- The headrest's, the lean forward so far that I feel like it pushes my head forward. I tried to turn it around, but it will not lock, even switched it with the passenger headrest but it was the same. It is better if I move it all the way up, but that is also the case for my 5'6" wife. They take away some visibility when fully up and still the comfort is missing.

I would not have made any other decision on the truck. The drive is smooth, powerful, stops great, and the trans is very smooth. The gas mileage in the 1st 500 miles is impressive. Over 18.5 around town. I was extremely comfortable in my 250, guess it will take some time with this truck.

Cant really help with any of your issues as i aint come across them but you sure are getting good MPG Did you get the 4.6 or 5.4?. Wait till you get to 2000+ miles and it lossens up even more.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:05 PM
raccoon1981
New User
Originally Posted by THarbold
Okay - now you've hit on one I agree with. My biggest gripe on this isn't so much that the dash sensor controls when the gauge illumination is on/off - I look at it this way - my FX 4 has the bottom line six disc/mp3 stereo system with sync, it has an info center at the top center of the console area with a compass and temperature display. The compass and temp displays are an awesome white-colored display that I seem to be able to read easily in just about any lighting condition. However, the rest of the info center uses a blue LED that never seems to light up too well and is always hard to read unless the light is just right.....

SO - what I don't get is why the didn't just do the entire info center in the white LED? I am guessing they saved a few buck with the blue stuff?
If you look from a side you can tell that the "blue" is only a tint on the plate infront of the display. This is pretty common way to get the blue color. My question was why not tint the whole thing and make it all blue. But they are "white" leds anyway. Maybe you could get in there and change that plate out to fix it.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:08 AM
HankMurphy
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
If the 2009 Hitch Is Like the 2008...

6- The tow package includes the hitch. I would like to change it for one of the brand I sell, the factory hitch is part of the bumper. The dealer tells me $326 for the standard XLT bumper, they would not even consider a swap for a reduced price. Anyone in Atlanta, metro want a factory hitch, I'll swap bumpers with you.
I have not looked under a 2009 yet, but on my 2008 the factory hitch mounts between the bumper and the frame. There should be a separate part for the bumper mount if Ford continued the same design, and you should be able to replace that for less than the bumper.

Try ftepartsguy and see if he can locate the part. Probably cheaper than what you've been quoted (although it's a collision part, so it could be more expensive than I imagine).

Good luck,

Old 05-15-2009, 11:49 AM
superp
New User
I traded my 2001 4x4 for my 2009 Fx4. This truck is great and smooth as silk, but I do have a few observations:
1. The steering wheel turn-to-lock is more than my old truck. Kind of annoying
2. The ignition key slot is flat, instead of the old "rabbit ears" style. I have to physically look at it to inser the key
3. the Headliner is falling down
4. the leather on the steering wheel is already wearing smooth at 3000mi.
5. I appreciate the larger front doors, but they are a pain in parking lots..and I keep kicking the cup holder
6. Why did Ford do away with the rear seat arm rest?
7. 5th and 6th gears are both overdrives; when towing, the truck tried to stay in 4th

Old 05-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Carl Lassiter
Senior User
5- The front bumper, when I got home and really started to look it over, I thought some lower grill piece was missing. The big gap in the middle sure looked empty. I went back to the dealer to see what was missing; to my surprise, only the front license plate holder is all that goes there. It was not part of my package and the dealer pointed me at the parts dept. "They will sell you one if you want one". Every F-150 on the lot had a front license plate holder, with their dealer advertisement tag, I left shaking my head.
Just reading this made my blood boil. I'd have lost the plot if the stealer where I'd just spent 40k gave me that treatment.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When the stealer pointed me to the parts department to order one, I would have asked why the MSRP sticker says N/C for a front license bracket. I flat out would tell them to get one for me if I wanted it or that is the last sale that they would ever make to me.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:36 AM
BartStar
Junior User
Originally Posted by excaliber551
How dare to say anything bad about the new 09 F150. Watch out, the defenders are on their way.
did you ever look at the wiring harness hanging down low on the outside of the rear frame? and the way it loops down lower near the rear axle?
go ahead, run over something and see what happens, I can't believe you never noticed that!

Old 05-17-2009, 10:58 AM
johnp27
New User
I am having this same issue, I was told by the dealer this is normal.
you cannot tell if your healights are on when it is cloudy or rainy? I liked the idea of auto headlamps but I thought a manual switch would illuminate dash lights and override this auto on option, If you have any luck correcting this problem please post

Old 05-17-2009, 08:12 PM
CountryBudTX
Freshman User
1 - I noticed this drink holder wasnt worth holding much of anything either...
2 - I have found this to be the perfect place to store my Garmin GPS... so its not up on the windshield.
3 - I've heard the steering wheel complaint from taller drivers, I'm only 5'9 and it has not been much of an issue for me, but i did notice it really bad in my Mom's 04 Focus, so I'm familiar with the problem.
7 - have you tried removing the rubber pad on the center-top of the dash? its nice and flat
8 - I have found the headrest to be VERY comfortable, but maybe its my shorter stature.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:10 AM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was reading about one of the beefs pertaining to installation of an aftermarket GPS...
As you probably already know, a Navigation system is an optional piece of equipment in many Ford products, including the F series trucks, which would negate the need for an aftermarket Nav system. If the price of that option (or package which includes it) is out of the question, then consider SYNC. The first-gen SYNC gave you hands-free music and cell phone capability... With a new software (or firmware) upgrade (available at service department), you can now get 911 Assist (calls 911 when airbags deploy, opt out by pressing phone icon) and also Vehicle Health Report (VHR) which is like having a scan tool. It monitors vital functions and notifies of any codes, recalls (FSA), etc. via a website, so that you can tell whether or not you need servicing. (sends you a handy text message to your phone to let you know when it is ready to view report).
But now, the newest offering for SYNC is a Turn By Turn Navigation system, which speaks directions to you by voice after you instruct it on where you would like to go. Can give you traffic and other features you might find on the Nav's available today.
SYNC is becoming very popular, and is now standard on many models and packages. Who knows what the next upgrade will be?

I have had the pleasure of driving pretty much every '09 F150 offered today, and I must say, I am impressed. (just ask me about the 2010 Mustang GT Premium I drove! lol)
I began selling Fords because I am a huge fan, always have been, and I believe in the Company and it's products, innovations, and customer service. In fact, it was, in large part, the customer service at my particular dealership that made me want to work there. They have always treated me so well.
It was only natural that I would come to sell what I love so much.
Please understand, I do have a total love for these vehicles, and believe they are the greatest vehicle on the planet. I wouldn't hesitate to own any one of the new cars or trucks.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:04 AM
ADCO
Senior User
Mark, share some more info about the sync turn by turn.

I already have SYNC so is it a simple upgrade?

Old 05-20-2009, 01:27 PM
werewolf
Senior User
Originally Posted by ADCO

Yeah, what's the story on that?

Old 05-20-2009, 02:11 PM
ATSW FX4
Junior User
Originally Posted by ADCO

Yeah, I wanna hear some more too

Old 05-20-2009, 02:59 PM
ADCO
Senior User
Doing some checking online (syncmyride.com) and it is not available on all models. If you have the screen (dvd) it works I think, you just have to go to the website and set up an account. It would be a good idea anyway.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:05 PM
ADCO
Senior User
My SYNC doesn't have Traffic, Directions and Information; can I upgrade to get it?
No. Traffic, Directions and Information is a new service that runs on upgraded hardware; currently available only in select 2010 model vehicles in the United States.

Which 2010 vehicles have Traffic, Directions and Information?
Following is a list of 2010 vehicles that could have this service when equipped with SYNC:

Please note: Standard equipment and introduction timing of this feature varies by vehicle. Ask your dealer for details.

Focus, Fusion, Flex, Expedition, F150, SuperDuty, Sport-Trac, Edge, Escape, Explorer, Mustang, Taurus, Milan, Mountaineer, MKS, MKX, MKZ, Navigator and Mariner.

Traffic, Directions and Information is available in the United States, only.

Quick Reply: Nitpicking my new Truck of the Year