i need an engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:46 PM
chevyracingman1979
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i need an engine

i have a 1982 ford f600 bucket truck with the 370ci enginr in it and it has lost compression in all cyliders dont know what happened i bought it this way but i do know the crank and the cam both turn over fine when trying to start it and the timing chain is in good shape my question is what could be wrong with it and does anyone on here have a 370 engine within a 200 mile radius of chattanooga tennessee for sale and i would also like to know if a 460 will bolt up to the same transmission as the 370 i have heard it would and i have heard it wont any help would be appriciated if anyone knows anything about this you can email me at chevyracingman1979@yahoo.com thanks

Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 AM
C-Leigh Racing
Senior User
Hard to beleave all cylinders lost compression all at one time.
Only thing I could think of would be if all rods broke at once, or it ran so hot every valve stuck open in the heads.
Even if you had a cylinder with just the exhaust stuck open, the action of the piston moving up & down would make the gauge do something, not much but something.
Pull the right side valve cover & see what those rocker arms are doing.

The bucket part of the truck, the 370 got to be running to operate it.
Neil

Old 05-13-2009, 04:12 AM
Kiwi Petrol Head
Freshman User
Coulda overheated dramatically and the comp rings lost tention - but it would be hot enough to make the oil smell burnt. the other thing it may have done is jumped teeth on a very worn timing chain. Good Luck...