Repairing the aging fiberglass top on my Bronco

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Rebel Warrior
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Repairing the aging fiberglass top on my Bronco

I would like to know what you think of; and how would you repair an aged Fiberglass top. I heard that there is a spay gel coat repair out there?? but i was wondering what about using bed liner to resurface the top?????

Thanks RW

Old 05-06-2009, 11:12 PM
XLnAK
Senior User
My 2 cents, No to the bed liner. My rigs got bed liner 4 yrs old in it and the stuff don't look good after years of exposure. Normal fiber glass repair would be the way to go for a good restoration. Fixing all cracks and blemishes then coating with a good urethane base with flex agent to stand the test of time.
To coat it with bed liner would cover up alot of stuff, but render the top that much harder to restore later. A spray on gel coat is the last step before a good top coat. Yes gel coat is used in boats and other tops, maybe your originally, but the factory finish is tough to match in a non pro setting. Besides, gel coat will crack at the first flex over a unrepaired minuet crack. Gel coat is brittle like fiber glass gel once set.
Just to make it look better on the cheap, a real good cleaning, and a thin coat of a flexible paint (flex agent added) over a well prepped surface might do. but beware, any cracks can harbor wax or grease(oils ) that can cause the paint surface to split and show imperfections. A product called fish eye preventer helps to reduce this.
Best wishes.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
Bronco tops were never gel coated. They were painted with flat paint, some by this time I am sure were also clear coated. Best advice I can give (I have painted a few tops already) is to sand everything down with 400 grit paper. Clean off real good (I use PPG 320 precleaner) and prime the whole top. Sand again, but with 600 grit. Clean and spray with your choice of paint, but like mentioned before, us a flexative additive in the paint.