Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Up pipe donut replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 01:52 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Up pipe donut replacement question

Starting a few months ago I have been able to notice a very faint exhaust smell from inside the cab of my truck only when the motor is cold. I assumed from the get-go that what I was noticing was a small up-pipe leak starting to develop. It goes away as the motor warms up, I can still build good boost (28psi is not hard to hit), and I can not see any visible streaks on the up-pipes (well, at least the driver's side, it's hard to get a good look at the passenger side).
So that said, would it be worth the effort for me to pull the turbo and replace the donuts? I have new turbo O-rings (thanks Chris, F350-6!) and new donut gaskets (thanks Ron!) already. I'm not sure how much longer I want to leave the stock turbo in there though, I'm considering a few options:
1.0 A/R housing for stock turbo (at which point I could replace the turbo O-rings and up pipe donuts)
Late model turbo conversion, either stock or van turbo
Go for the gold and throw a GTP38R in there (mostly a pipe dream at this point, far too expensive for me to swing right now).
So should I go ahead and replace the stuff now, knowing that I may end up doing it again soon, or just hold off until I either do a turbo swap or the leak becomes really bad?

Old 05-06-2009, 02:04 PM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're hitting 28 psi with stock sticks, you're doing ok and if you have a leak, its not much. I would not mess with it right now, try to save it for when you have other mods to include and kill 2 turds with one stone. If you're leak was bad, I would say change out the donuts.

You may also have a leak on the exhaust downpipe which is the exhaust you smell, but I would think you'd smell it all the time.

Last edited by SuperDoodie; 05-06-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: we need spell check!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:07 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SuperDoodie
If you're hitting 28 psi with stock sticks, you're doing ok and if you have a leak, its not much. I would not mess with it right now, try to save it for when you have other mods to include and kill 2 turds with one stone. If you're leak was bad, I would say change out the donuts.

You may also have a leak on the exhaust downpipe which is the exhaust you smell, but I would think you'd smell it all the time.
I hadn't thought about the downpipe having a small leak, I could try to tighten that clamp some more and see if it helps. Thanks for the idea Greg!
I was thinking the same thing- leave it be for now. At least I have the parts ready and available. As for stock sticks, that's still up for debate. All I know is they say AB on the solenoids so I'm claiming stock

Old 05-06-2009, 02:11 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Chase, if you go ahead and take the turbo off and change the donuts now. Just think how easy it will be when the turbo exchange comes to be. You can learn alot just doing it.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:14 PM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
I hadn't thought about the downpipe having a small leak, I could try to tighten that clamp some more and see if it helps. Thanks for the idea Greg!
I was thinking the same thing- leave it be for now. At least I have the parts ready and available. As for stock sticks, that's still up for debate. All I know is they say AB on the solenoids so I'm claiming stock
If you have AB's, you must have an early 99 truck.. That would be stock for that year by the way and they flow ~ +/- 20cc less vs. an AD injector.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:56 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SuperDoodie
If you have AB's, you must have an early 99 truck.. That would be stock for that year by the way and they flow ~ +/- 20cc less vs. an AD injector.
Mine's deff an early 99, and I know they are a tad smaller than the late model injectors. I also get the rockin' 15* HPOP I have heard that the AB's tend to flow more like 130cc on the bench though. Even so, I question whether they are really stock or not. Even before DP tunes with the wastegate unplugged I could get 28psi boost.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:43 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
i could hit 28 LB boost all the time with the early turbo...not hard at all with 2 inch duct work..it just flows a lot less air then the late turbo does but it spools a lot faster....you wont gain any power going to a 99.5 turbo..little more leg on the low end but you will see less smoke on the top end with cooler EGT's...the choice is yours to make now...

Old 05-06-2009, 05:08 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Ron- I know there isn't much to be had "upgrading" to the late style turbo, but it does open the window more for future upgrades. Since adding the DP tuner, I've been thinking more air might be a good thing... but then again the black smoke sure is fun
I'm thinking real seriously about getting a 1.0 A/R exhaust housing for the stock turbo and running that for a while to see how it does.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:22 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
i wish i could help you out with parts to do the swap Chase..but them kind of parts dont sit around long when some one looking knows you did the swap...have you thought about the D66 ??..call Beans..maybe they can give you a deal..i have the early 99 pedistal that the EBPV needs to be deleted or re seald ..if you want it..id be happy to send it to you..your right ..you do need to flow more air..the swap will lower EGT's...like i said you will lag down low and she will smoke more then it does now down low..but when you get the turbo spooled the smoke clears up fast and the EGT's wont touch 1250 till about 130 MPH..lol maybe not that fast but the speedo point's strait down..

Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Ron- I appreciate the offer on the pedestal but I don't need it. I've thought about the D66 but I've read mixed reviews on whether or not it's worth the $ or not. If I'm gonna put a different turbo in, I may as well big the big bullet and order a GTP 38R and bellowed up-pipes and get it over with!
Right now with stock sticks EGT's aren't an issue for me, in fact the past few days they've been cooler than usual for some reason. I've only hit 1250 once, and that was floored with a loaded 3 horse trailer behind me on a hill in 60T. If I stomp on it from low RPM right now I can chug quite a bit of black smoke, but it seems to clear up once the rev's come up. Even from a 65 mph cruise if I don't carefully roll into it I send a nice cloud out the duals (especially so in the 100 performance tune I've been driving in lately! ) which is what got me to thinking that more air would probably be a good thing.
So, if I went with a 1.0 A/R housing on the stock e-99 turbo, what are the benefits? I know it will be a bit laggy down low but that shouldn't be a huge issue.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:41 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
I think it would be too much lag..your already pushing all the air that turbo can handle,, I could lend you my 1.00 if you just want to try it..but id like to have it back ASAP so if god forbid the day comes and I need that turbo..it will be ready..I have a rebuild kit coming for it soon...

Old 05-06-2009, 05:45 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
I think it would be too much lag..your already pushing all the air that turbo can handle,, I could lend you my 1.00 if you just want to try it..but id like to have it back ASAP so if god forbid the day comes and I need that turbo..it will be ready..I have a rebuild kit coming for it soon...
I didn't know you were running with the 1.0 housing before... did you run it with stock sticks?

Old 05-06-2009, 05:48 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
yes but on a later turbo..i think i read some place where the stock exhaust housing are the same...i could try it and see if it alteast bolts up..i still have the ealry turbo sitting on the shelf..

Old 05-06-2009, 05:51 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
yes but on a later turbo..i think i read some place where the stock exhaust housing are the same...i could try it and see if it alteast bolts up..i still have the ealry turbo sitting on the shelf..
I believe they are the same but it would be good to know.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:53 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
ill give it try this weekend and let you know..