Does this sound right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:58 PM
desert sled
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this sound right?

Hello all

Two weeks ago i posted a question about a clicking noise in my engine after a long trip. I took the truck in today to an independant shop which did a compression test. The tech told me that the rear driver cylinder was at 25% of the rated compression, he also said the ticking noise was from piston damage on the two rear passenger side pistons from faulty injectors. He said both had fuel in them and were damaged,but I dont recall a compression rating on either one. I faithfully maintain this truck and it only has 115,00 miles on it. This is my summer towing rig and I am faced with having to buy a new truck. the truck is a 1994,F-350 turbo 7.3 liter. Any suggestions? Oh, the repair price for the engine is $11,000!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:10 PM
harleyjohn45
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get a second opinion. I'm sure others will chime in, but 11k is excessive. If all you need is 2 pistons, thats all I would buy for the truck. You didn't mention if the truck was running hot or using excessive oil. I would have someone pull the engine, replace the bad pistons and and install new injectors. That would be it. Your chosen mechanic is looking for a stimulus from you.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:16 PM
desert sled
Senior User
The truck seems to be running fine. The truck does use coolant but no oil. I just towed 1200 miles with a 9000 pound trailer and it seemed to do fine. I asked him about rebuilding or sleeving and he said typically these engines develop cracks and it would not be advisable.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 PM
royzell
Senior User
Get a new mechanic. The 7.3 can develop cavitation holes, but that is rare and esp at that mileage. The early 6.9's could crack around the block heater, but that was later rectified.
I have bought complete running trucks for under $1000 CDN.
Even if you did need a whole new engine, which I think unlikely, look at max $3-4000 for a complete good as new rebuild. Much can be done for much less with a little digging.
Good Luck.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:42 PM
usmc50bmgsniper92
Junior User
$11K? holy heck, I don't know how mechanically inclined you are buy i would fix it myself, you could totally rebuild your motor yourself for under $1500!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:43 PM
usmc50bmgsniper92
Junior User
heck with it do a cummins swap

Old 05-04-2009, 09:13 PM
harleyjohn45
Senior User
some on this board think the 86 or 87 6.9 is the best engine, because of thicker cylinder walls. I thought i was getting a 7.3 engine, but the mechanic installed a late 6.9. I like it fine, but still sorting the turbo.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:18 PM
harleyjohn45
Senior User
Originally Posted by desert sled
The truck seems to be running fine. The truck does use coolant but no oil. I just towed 1200 miles with a 9000 pound trailer and it seemed to do fine. I asked him about rebuilding or sleeving and he said typically these engines develop cracks and it would not be advisable.
With out tearing the engine down he would not know the condition of the cylinders. They may be fine. In that case you need 2 pistons. using coolant seems to be bad around here, but that could be caused from many things.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
I would NEVER go to that guy again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He wants you to buy him a new motor for his truck!

That's a blatant, flat out RIP OFF!

I can't imagine a reputable shop couldn't pull the engine, rebuild the WHOLE thing and reinstall it for $5K. You could probably get a quality job for less.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:07 PM
desert sled
Senior User
Yea, I thought this was a little extreme. I am going to take it to another shop for a second opinion. If this doesnt get fixed soon,I will probably go back to gassers,this diesel experience has not been good.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I would be curious to see what the compression test numbers are for each cylinder.

Right now I would be more inclined to think head gasket and/or injectors.

Bring truck and 11,000 dollars here to WV, and I will build you a motor, but it won't be exactly like what you have now.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I really hate to say this, but if you are not capable or willing to learn and do the work yourself then these trucks/motors are not for you...

Now don't get me wrong, I say this because paying someone to work on them will bleed you dry, todays shops don't know anything about them unless you get lucky and find a shop that really truely does know them, most do not, nor do they care to...

Most of todays shops want to plug the computer in and let it do the work, if they can't plug the computer in they are lost!

11k could buy you a pretty nice truck or a truck load of these motors!

The guy is a thief!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 05-05-2009, 12:34 AM
88f150302
Senior User
i agree with everyone else if you look on ebay at reman motors you can get them under 4000 and used motors under 1000

Old 05-05-2009, 01:10 AM
George D.
Posting Guru
11,000 is expensive a fully tinned reman is about 5,500 just pull it and swap the new one in at most some one with mechanicle ability and no idea what they are doing it would take I would say 20 hours to swap it out so we can conclude there shop rate is $225 an hour. If he has not torn down the motor or atleast followed up the compresion test with a CLT he has no way to even guess what is wrong. if only one cylinder has low compresion how are two pistons bad? Besides if all compresion is over 400 and they are with in 25% of each other nothing is wrong. With that low millage cavitaion is most likely not the cause but still a possibility the. just bring your truck 9hrs south our shop rate is only 105hr where I work even with towing that would be cheaper than this guys $225hr. Heck for 9Gs i'll drive up there and fix it for you. worst come to worst you can find a 6.9 to swap in thats what I did when when mine cavitated threw.

How far North are you?

Old 05-05-2009, 01:44 AM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen
I really hate to say this, but if you are not capable or willing to learn and do the work yourself then these trucks/motors are not for you...

Now don't get me wrong, I say this because paying someone to work on them will bleed you dry, todays shops don't know anything about them unless you get lucky and find a shop that really truely does know them, most do not, nor do they care to...

Most of todays shops want to plug the computer in and let it do the work, if they can't plug the computer in they are lost!

11k could buy you a pretty nice truck or a truck load of these motors!

The guy is a thief!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~
This may not be popular advice but it is the best.

Quick Reply: Does this sound right?