Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Tonneau cover for Sport Tracs

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:05 PM
waldreps
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tonneau cover for Sport Tracs

I would like to hear opinions on types of tonneau covers for Sport Tracs. Hard or soft? OEM hard fold in the middle or aftermarket roll-up? What do you think? Let me hear some opinions. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:01 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the OEM cover on my '07 and really didn't like it all that much. It did a decent job of keeping water out, but was very heavy and hard to get on and off by yourself. Plus, it folded in the middle which made some loads harder to fit at times.

I had good luck with Undercover covers on my Ranger and bought another one for my Sport Trac. Absolutely love it. Water tight, has locks, lift cylinders, a light, and is fairly easy to get on and off by myself. It has a good look on the truck and is also strong enough to stand on if needed. I would recommend it any day over any others. It does cost a few dollars more than most, but I think it is well worth it...

Old 05-03-2009, 04:05 PM
waldreps
Senior User
Thanks.....keep the opinions coming!

Old 05-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
We have a Ford soft cover on my wifes Sport Trac since 02. It has held up very well over the years. The only thing I hate about it (but it is a similar problem with any soft top) is in the winter it can be a PITA to get back on if left off for a while. The cold will cause it to shrink a little making it all but impossible to snap back on. But other than that (we rarely remove it anyway) it is great. Easy to remove the entire cover and frame if need be and to reinstall back in to place.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:57 PM
fordguy55
Junior User
I gotta tell ya, the Extang BlackMax tonneau cover is a great product. I had 2 really crappy covers on my Ranger. One was a Sport Master and the other was a no-name I got from ebay. The no-name lasted longer. When I got the Sport Trac I put on an Extang BlackMax. It did demonstrate tightness on cold days and as it got older I had to flip the snaps over for a looser fit. Eventually it shrunk some more and got tight in cold weather again. I had to wait for the afternoon sun to heat it up to fully snap it down. Since it's not garaged, the cover weathered badly after 5 years, even with the "tonneau tonic" that they recommend you apply at least once a year. When the corners started to crack apart I emailed them about it since there is a 10 year warranty. They had me send the cover to them for evaluation. After about a week I got an email from Extang saying a new cover was on the way to me. This cover is made way different from the original. The material is more flexible and not just because it was new. This is the 2nd season and it's still flexible. The corners are re-inforced and I have virtually no difficulty snapping it down when cold. It's way more convenient for me because I occasionally have to transport a lawn tractor or motorcycle and the occasional furniture move. With a hard cover, like the 2-piece factory type, I'd have to remove it and that's something you don't do easily by yourself. I can just unsnap the soft cover and roll it up on the fly. Of course, there's not much security there if that's your concern. Hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 PM
waldreps
Senior User
Thanks everyone.....I'm thinking of getting an Access roll up cover. I had a snap on cover on my Ranger and I didn't like having to take it off to use it. Snapping and unsnapping and removing the bows, etc. was just a pain. I would like the looks and security of a hard cover but don't want to have to take the cover off and put it somewhere while I'm hauling stuff. I'm thinking the roll up cover might work best for me. Any other ideas would be appreciated.