Sponsored by: Moser

Making 8ft box to shorty

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:47 PM
not2close2u
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making 8ft box to shorty

Help !! I just recieved and 8ft box (1974).I need to make it into a short box.I have been told there is tool that will make an edge that make a lip that apiece of sheetmetal the same thickness will fit into and be flush with the surface.Has any one used one of these?Also has any one used the new 3m epoxy for sheet metal ? I was told this is the best way to do any sheet metal repairs (No heat destortion).I plan to cut the box about 1 1/2 inches back from the rolled edge in the frount of the box (and use the tool discribed earler).I also have to cut in 2 fuel doors and blend into the bed.Any thoughts on this ???Thankyou I forgot to tell you that I will be putting the bed on a 1977 f250 4x4 crew cab.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:59 PM
flcracker9
More Turbo
It's called a flange tool. It will create a flange on a panel, and the reverse side will punch a hole for spot welding. You can get a cheap one at Harbor Freight if you just need it for 1 or 2 projects (see link). I've never used adhesives to attach body panels, but I do my own paint and body work, and from what I've read on the body work forums, they have come a long way with the latest adhesives, and they get favorable reviews on the forums.

Harbor Freight Tools

Old 05-03-2009, 02:37 PM
1977f250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 40.00 flange tool but have not used it yet. I want to cover up the sun roof in my 77. I have heard that the 3m and lord fuser work really well on no stress panels. I will be doing mine this summer and have also been thinking about cutting down a bed. I have been toying with the idea of just swapping out the cab on my 77 F250 4x4 for a extended cab and then cutting the bed down to fit.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:13 PM
hpheltersnach
Senior User
The adhesives can work good if used correctly. They work well when you are lapping the joints like with the panel flanger. The adhesive seals the seam which helps prevent rust in those hard to reach areas. I've used a few self tapping screws to hold every thing together till the glue sets up. The screws can also be used to dry fit the pieces to get a perfect fit before you glue. Then after the glue is dry there is just a tiny little hole to fill with the welder (no excessive heating of the panel)