Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Can anyone solve this problem??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Khart
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone solve this problem??

I'll try not to drag this out but want to give enough info to help solve the problem.

2003 F350 7.3 CC 4X4,185,000 miles, Edge J/S, not cat or muff, 4" exhaust, trany shift valves
<O</O
<O</O
This winter truck become hard to start and smoke at start up and lose of power, boost, and had a rough idle, fuel mileage down from 16 to 12 mpg<O</O
<O</O
I replaced glow plugs and glow plug relay, CPS, fuel filter, serviced oil, checked oil level in HPOP, had codes sanded and found no codes
<O</O
<O</O
<O</O
Put the truck back on the road and truck seamed to run better until cool damp morning
<O</O
<O</O
Said the heck with it and took it to the dealer and had them run their diagnostic scan. Scan showed no codes but they seen what i was reporting. The dealer did say they pulled an injector and found some carbon (even though I always run DieseKleen) and may need to do an injector clean. At this point I'll try anything. I did their injection clean process and they advised I switch to lighter weight oil like 10W30.<O</O
<O</O
Took the truck back on a 5 hour trip and the truck seams to run better. Better response, more boost, mileage back to 15 16. I did notice while passing after the trany kick-down during the middle of my pass it would feel like another shift
<O</O
<O</O
Just has a few cool mornings and at start up truck runs like crap. Truck still has a rough idle, trany shift seam to happen at higher RPM's. Problem seams to be related to cool weather. Even when warmed up and on warm days the truck has a rough idle.

<O$800.00 bones later and still not right.</O
<O</O

Old 04-30-2009, 11:33 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What is cool weather? What color is the smoke?

Old 05-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Khart
Freshman User
The other morning it was 40* and damp out. I don't have the smoke problem since the repairs but still runs like crap until warmed up. Even after it's warmed up it has a rough idle

Old 05-01-2009, 01:58 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The tranny issue, although I am not in it, sounds normal until it warms up, but it still should shift a little hard even when warm, because of the edge.

I am not expert ( wish I was ) but I would be leaning towards something going on under the valve cover.. Do you know anyone with autoenginuity?

Old 05-01-2009, 02:02 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
Have you tried it with out the edge ?

Old 05-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by 1996pwrstrk
Have you tried it with out the edge ?
I'm with this right here.
It really doesn't matter what tuner or chip you have on the truck, if there is a driveablility complaint the first thing you need to do is to remove the chip or program it back to stock.
Then fix the problem if it still exists before you put it back on again.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:17 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Khart
Said the heck with it and took it to the dealer and had them run their diagnostic scan. Scan showed no codes but they seen what i was reporting. The dealer did say they pulled an injector and found some carbon (even though I always run DieseKleen) and may need to do an injector clean. At this point I'll try anything. I did their injection clean process and they advised I switch to lighter weight oil like 10W30.
You didn't actuall put 10w30 in, did you? 40* is way too warm for that weight of oil.

An injector cleaning is mechanic's code for "We don't know what's wrong, but we'd like to have some of your money anyway".

Old 05-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Mydiesel250
Senior User
I had an early 99 f250 psd 265k and same problem, it had very little white/gray smoke at start up, idled like garbage, very weak power untill it got moving down the road, needed to replaced my #8 injector it would only supply fuel after it was warmed up and had some drive time on it. Dont know if it was clogged, faulty or what, but I took the truck to a shop and told them to let it sit for a day and crank it then try to diagnos it, Sure enough it worked. They just told me i had a dead cylinder, they " replaced the injector and all was good again. Dont know if that is you issue but figured id throw it out there.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Khart
Freshman User
Was was thinking the same thinh about the injector cleaning but at this point I thought I'd try it.

I told them I was not going to run 10W30 and would stay with the oil I was running.

I can turn the Edge off to stock setting is that the same as unhooking it?

I let them have my truck for 3 days so they could have it for cold morning start ups. Still couldn't find anything other than "looks like injectors need cleand" BS

What's the best way to test this #8 injector? I'll give it a try.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:54 AM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
I would completely disconnect the edge. That way you can eliminate it as a problem.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:10 PM
WMDPSD
Senior User
this is just bouncing ideas around, could there be an issue with the turbo, or ebpv?

Old 05-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Khart
Freshman User
Just had a guy come over and he hooked up his scanner. Came up with a P1209 Code. He also said it could be the number 8 or 5 injector.

He said we runs ATF in oil to clean injectors.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:46 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
I wouldn't put anything in the oil period..... what kind of scanner did he use ? Did you disconnect the edge yet ?

Old 05-03-2009, 08:53 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
P1209 - IPR - ICP system fault - IPR valve stuck

It says IPR valve stuck but it may be a sticky IPR valve. Also check to make sure the nut at the back of IPR is tight. Did he clear the code and it came back?

There is some IPR info at this LINK

I would only use products that were designed to clean injectors.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Khart
Freshman User
He did clear the code. We did not check to see if it came back up. Sorry I do not know what type scanner it was. Grey box screen in the middle.

I have not unhooked the Edge yet but will soon.

I have know idea what a IPR valve is?? Sorry

What and where is the IPR nut??

Looking at the Links what am I looking for at the IPR? Should I just take it off, clean it, and reinstall?

I only use Diesle Klean in my fuel.

Quick Reply: Can anyone solve this problem??