Sponsored by:

Rear A/C Lines

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Big_John
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear A/C Lines

With the weather actually getting hot for a couple days, I had the first chance to try out the A/C since I bought my 2003 Ex. It didn't work at all.

So... Back to the dealership where I've been told the rear a/c lines need replacing.... and its gonna be expensive.... The Oasis report shows the lines were already replaced once before.

First, I'm a little ticked that the warranty I bought doesn't cover this... but that's another story....

I have four options... One is not to use the A/C and that's not gonna happen... Second is I bite the bullet and get the lines replaced.

Third is a local A/C shop can fab new lines for a lot less and I'm told they are less fragile then the factory stuff. They may reroute them too.

Fourth is we plug the rear outlets from the compressor and just forget about the rear A/C. That doesn't sound bad either... I rarely have rear passengers, but I really like the idea of the whole truck cooling down a litttle faster in the summer.

I'm going to discuss this farther with the service manager tomorrow. My son works at the dealership (now sales, was the service writer) so I do get a deal on labor and parts... and at least that gives me some confidence in the diagnosis.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-29-2009, 07:18 PM
bigdaddymedic2000
Senior User
i bought my EX last april. i did not use my a/c until first of may just before going to orlando, fl. i had it recharged when i first got the EX. well when i kicked on the rear a/c there was smoke coming from the passenger's side of the vehicle. sure enough i had a leak in the rear a/c line. i had the line fix and a/c recharged ... for about $100.00 ( but not at a dealership). having rear a/c does help cool the whole truck.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:16 PM
SFeintuch
Senior User
I am almost positive if you find the spot with the leak that section can be cut out and replaced without changing the entire line. I would try a reputable a/c shop. Dealers only know change the entire part.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:47 PM
blowhole
Senior User
With a space as big as the interior of the EX, you will want the AC working in the rear. It's a must in my opinion. Plus, it helps relieve some of the work from the front system. My EX seems to cool so much quicker when I use the rear AC significantly. How much does the dealer want to do the work??

Old 04-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Downriver Thunder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried going without my rear AC, it would take forever to cool off so it got fixed.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Big_John
Freshman User
Yea, the Ex is going to go to the local A/C shop. The leak is in the one piece that wasn't replaced.

The dealer wants about $1000 parts and labor! They did offer to retrofit the A/C to front only though.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:30 PM
hvacguy
Senior User
Fixing leaks in linesets is a common task for HVAC techs. No way I would pay a grand to have a line replaced.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:49 PM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by hvacguy
Fixing leaks in linesets is a common task for HVAC techs. No way I would pay a grand to have a line replaced.
Yes I agree for a grand I would come up with a fix if it were me. So were is it leaking from a flex line, solid line or a crimp clamp?

Old 05-01-2009, 01:27 PM
spinyard
New User
my rear air does not get cold but the front does.. I think it's the rear expander valve? Any thoughts?

Old 05-01-2009, 03:13 PM
hvacguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by spinyard
my rear air does not get cold but the front does.. I think it's the rear expander valve? Any thoughts?
Its possible, but it could be several other issues as well. Proper refrigerant charge, dirty evaporator coil, as well as a thermal expansion valve. My first item to check would be the refrigerant charge. If it is low, it will reduce the capacity of the system.

If your thermal expansion valve is faulty then you would be stacking liquid in the liquid line, again reducing the capacity of the system.

If you don't have the tools to check the pressures and superheat / sub-cooling, you are probably better off taking it to an AC shop.

Or, find a buddy that does AC for a living

Old 05-01-2009, 04:07 PM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
hvacguy has a good point if the system is low on charge there may not be enough refrigerant (freon) to flood the rear evap. coil reducing the cooling at the rear (farthest away from condenser)

Old 05-02-2009, 07:38 PM
joetech
Senior User
Where are you located I have the tool to repair a/c lines at work and refrigerant at home to repair it for you
joe

Old 05-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Big_John
Freshman User
Originally Posted by joetech
Where are you located I have the tool to repair a/c lines at work and refrigerant at home to repair it for you
joe
Near Syracuse, NY

Old 05-03-2009, 07:47 AM
joetech
Senior User
I am in frackville Pa about 4-5 hours away I am sure you can find someone closer. The local GM dealer will have the tool to fix it, that is where I work.
Joe

Old 05-03-2009, 08:14 PM
armydude
Senior User
Well, for you guys who live up north you won't want to disconnect your heater cores but that is a point where it robs the effectiveness of the evaporator,a/c, since it is right next to it, both front and rear. I live in Florida and will be disconnecting both heater cores, front and rear, and insulating the a/c lines going to the rear. I know this isn't a fix but it will help in cooling the X.
Just my opinion,

Ian

Quick Reply: Rear A/C Lines