2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the $@^&?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:42 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the $@^&?

I was driving down the road yesterday and as I was approaching a light I let off the gas. It felt like my e-brake was sticking as the truck started wobbling. I get stopped, and I realize it's the IDLE. Truck is surging, sputtering, and when I floored it, it hesitated before revving up. It went away about a minute later and all's well. I popped a P0732 code (Bad CAT) and 2 unknown codes according to my Edge. It was idling a little weird a week ago after I got some "Tier One" gasoline from the local, overpriced Shell station because there was a line at the Diamond Shamrock.

So my question is...If I just got some bad gas, a) will it pop that bad cat code, b) will the cat be ok once I get through 37 gallons of crap, c) should I run some HEET through it? d) Should I blow up that Paki's Shell station? e) When I get that gas out of there should I run a bottle of Techron through it? f) All ideas are welcome.

It's a 2008, 5.4, 37 gallon tank.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:41 AM
442w30
Senior User
What settings are you running your edge on? I am considering an edge but keep hearing about these quirks.... how often does this kind of stuff happen?

Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 AM
James_24_85
Senior User
I would probably fill it up again with some good gas, and run some injector cleaner through it. Should be fine just reset your codes, and hope it doesn't happen again.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:12 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 442w30
What settings are you running your edge on? I am considering an edge but keep hearing about these quirks.... how often does this kind of stuff happen?
I run Level III. It's not the Edge. It started right after (5 miles) I got gas. I was just wondering if I should run some HEET through it and then some injector cleaner, or what.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Oldguy4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChargersFanInCO
d) Should I blow up that Paki's Shell station?
It's a 2008, 5.4, 37 gallon tank.
That's funny right there. I would run a can or two of heat in your present tank of gas. I hope it clears up for you. Don't blame the Shell station, or the Paki, it can happen at any time at any gas station.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:15 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Oldguy4
That's funny right there. I would run a can or two of heat in your present tank of gas. I hope it clears up for you. Don't blame the Shell station, or the Paki, it can happen at any time at any gas station.
In Northern Colorado, Shell gas tends to run 20-30 cents higher than any other gas. I used to blast Shell for that, but figured I'd get some because I'm really impatient and there was a line at my normal station.

Turns out I paid more than normal for water? Either that, or that nitrogen enriched gas busted loose a lot of gunk at 4000 miles....lol Nitrogen enrichment supposedly cleans, but all gasoline (at least here) is enriched with oxygen already, which drops mileage because there's less gas. I wonder how much "gas" that Nitrogen saves Shell every day...(?) My tires are 78% Nitrogen Enriched.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:20 PM
sdough
New User
I've had a similar problem with my truck, i would come to a stop and the truck would act like it was running on seven cylinders. Shut the truck off and restart and the problem would go away. It did this about three times since owning the truck. I got to work one day (ford) and went to park and the truck started running rough. I left it running and had a mech. Check for codes and found that an injector was bad. There was no code when i would shut the vehicle off and restart, it would only be found while it was running with this issue.