1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Difference between F1 and F6 (1952)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:51 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry about two such large posts guys, but I wanted to add these tables too For Vista to look at in full size, and I can only do three per post in direct drag.

Heres the other three spec sheets:

Name:  Spring Specifications 1.jpg
Views: 9471
Size:  154.9 KB

Name:  Front Axel Specifications 1.jpg
Views: 8225
Size:  106.2 KB

Happy reading

Old 04-27-2009, 07:10 AM
VistaGT
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen67
Well, how far are you willing to take it? Parts can be swapped, and if you're looking for speed you might consider changing out the frame as well, just as easy. Then it wouldn't really matter what it started out as.

Personally, I'm all about big tires and low stances, if you want speed, buy a Mustang
Already have one, well two but I just sold one.
-2006 GT-Vista Blue(where the name is from)
-1987 LX(sold)

Old 04-27-2009, 09:46 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I think you're going end up with a project that you're going to lose interest in very quickly if you try to adapt the F-6 frame to a F-1. It going to take a lot of work end results that aren't what your looking for. One member is doing a cut down of a F-5 or 6 into a "Rat Rod" and IMO it's not the best idea to each his own.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/member.php?u=425104

You'd be a lot better off finding a F-1 frame or a complete body swap to a newer frame. With the time and money it's going to take to get the F-6 to work you could already have found a F-1 frame and have the truck up and running. The consensus of the board is that modern frame swaps are a bad idea but what you want to accomplish by using the F-6 frame is going to be just as much work, IMO, with disappointing results. Using the small wheels with the F-6 body is going to look awful, at least IMO. I don't like the looks of the small, low profile wheels one modern cars and they'll really look out of scale a big truck. Here's a pictures of a F-1 with F-2 fenders with 15" stock type wheels just to give you an idea of the look:

Old 04-27-2009, 11:57 AM
VistaGT
New User
I notice that is an older F1. Is the difference in fender size between F1 and F6 comparable for the 1952 and whatever year that is?-because I don't think that looks so bad in the pic. I would also be planning to run 15 inch wheels with a comparable tire size. When I said low pro I did not mean by todays standards. I just meant lower profile than the stockers which are extremely tall. Another thing to think about is someone said wheels would be difficult to find........

As I look at it now if this was to work for me I think I would do the smaller rims/tires(like above),Big Block V8 and a 9" rear. I don't see why that couldn't work to make the truck a pretty fast(though oftly large) hot rod. All along I've never thought it wouldn't be possible, it's just I was looking for ways to make the truck seem more like a hot-rod and less like a F350 super-duty truck.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:10 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
The fender opening opens are the same for all Bonus Built, '48-52 per model. You will have to replace the front and rear axles to be able to run normal sized small truck or car rims. The F-6 wheel pattern is way to large to use small rims on. The brake drums are also considerably larger and would not accept the small rims. That's one of the problems the people with the larger trucks have with finding wheels. The drums are too large to accept many rims. Also, the larger five bolt pattern hasn't been used in decades and are hard to find.

My neighbor has a '51 F-1 with F-2 fenders and I hadn't noticed until he mentioned it. They don't look bad at all, just the front looks like it's lifted a bit. He now runs 17" rims and it looks a little better.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:42 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
it's just I was looking for ways to make the truck seem more like a hot-rod and less like a F350 super-duty truck.
Forget an F-350, an F-6 is more like a box van or a tow truck in today's Ford line-up.

Just curious, have you checked to see if the frame is indeed a two-layer reinforced channel? These have a real problem with rust, if it is. Would be worth checking before you do anything else.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:56 PM
VistaGT
New User
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
The fender opening opens are the same for all Bonus Built, '48-52 per model. You will have to replace the front and rear axles to be able to run normal sized small truck or car rims. The F-6 wheel pattern is way to large to use small rims on. The brake drums are also considerably larger and would not accept the small rims. That's one of the problems the people with the larger trucks have with finding wheels. The drums are too large to accept many rims. Also, the larger five bolt pattern hasn't been used in decades and are hard to find.

My neighbor has a '51 F-1 with F-2 fenders and I hadn't noticed until he mentioned it. They don't look bad at all, just the front looks like it's lifted a bit. He now runs 17" rims and it looks a little better.
Cool thanks for the info. As far as that the rear axle it would be replaced anyway with something to handle a lot of power. As far as the front axle I have no idea what I would do. As far as the brakes they will be replaced too with discs(know of any places??).

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Forget an F-350, an F-6 is more like a box van or a tow truck in today's Ford line-up.

Just curious, have you checked to see if the frame is indeed a two-layer reinforced channel? These have a real problem with rust, if it is. Would be worth checking before you do anything else.
I just meant size wise.....Idk what a two-layer reinforced channel is. The truck has no bed just the frame which was recently painted. No visible rust except a little on the back of the frame which looks like it's just surface.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:08 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
The F-5 and F-6 has a dual wall frame from like about under the front cab mounts almost to the rear axle. This a notorious place to rust between the two layers and cause bulging of the inner layer. I've had some trucks with this real bad, fortunately they were only parts trucks.

I just looked at your profile and saw you're from NJ, the other guy with the rat rod F-6 is from NJ, you should look him up and take a look at what he's doing and what problems he's run into doing a similar project.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:36 PM
keith1952f6
New User
I need fenders for a 52 f-6 does anyone know where I can get?

Old 04-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Those would be front fenders for 51 or 52 F2 thru F6 and a good place to start would be e-bay. Or maybe Ilya (51Panelman) - but he usually dabbles in F1 stuff.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:42 PM
VistaGT
New User
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
The F-5 and F-6 has a dual wall frame from like about under the front cab mounts almost to the rear axle. This a notorious place to rust between the two layers and cause bulging of the inner layer. I've had some trucks with this real bad, fortunately they were only parts trucks.

I just looked at your profile and saw you're from NJ, the other guy with the rat rod F-6 is from NJ, you should look him up and take a look at what he's doing and what problems he's run into doing a similar project.
Do you know this guys Ford-Truck Screen name?

Thanks, you guys are being very helpful

Old 04-27-2009, 08:46 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I had this in one of my previous posts. His name is rat49f6. Click on his profile page below:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/member.php?u=425104

Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 PM
VistaGT
New User
Thanks!!!!!

Old 04-27-2009, 11:28 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by VistaGT
Cool thanks for the info. As far as that the rear axle it would be replaced anyway with something to handle a lot of power. As far as the front axle I have no idea what I would do. As far as the brakes they will be replaced too with discs(know of any places??).
TSM is one I can think of that supplies disc brakes for a Dana 60. But going with a modern F350 or F450 rear with discs would probably cost about the same in the end. My $.02

Old 04-28-2009, 09:40 AM
VistaGT
New User
As far as the rear Im thinking a ford rear will be cheaper than the dodge axle. Regarding the F350/450 I'm not looking to keep the duelie I want just a simple posi rear. As I earlier stated I think fabing in a 9" or maybe a 9.75" rear will work best for my hotrod aspirations. This also make rear brakes simple.

The hard part to figure out is what am I going to put up front

Quick Reply: Difference between F1 and F6 (1952)