1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:54 AM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Slippery750
I talked to the guy in the YouTube video. He said he would do the retrofit for my '05 SD with the Bi xenon and high quality projectors for $700. A bit high for me so I'll stick to my stockers for now. By the way, be careful with those Ebay buys with the projectors already installed cuz I bought a set for a Civic I used to have. They were cheap with plastic projector lenses that threw the light out in streaks on the road. Looked like crap and made it harder to see at night.
$700? Wow... pretty costly.
Especially when I just picked up the projectors for $60/pair. And I can use a 'cheaper' HID kit with them (about $50/pair as a "test" kit for D2S). I'll have $110 wrapped up, with minimal material costs and most of it being labor. I'd say $150 in material when all said and done.

However, I'll lose my ability to run Low beams, with my high beams all-at-once. Which is what I love the H13 (or 9007) bulb for in the first place. So it might be time to get tricky... (more on 'tricky' later )

That same problem you speak of in the 'cheap' projector headlight assemblies, is why I've taken a pair out of a buddies truck, and put it back to stock with correct HID bulbs. Much better, in every aspect. They also sell the 'cheap' projectors that "retrofit" into some headlights. They too... aren't the best, but sometimes better than a full headlight assembly. However they take 'work' to install.

Originally Posted by Motoxman_117
Here is a Tube link Johnny. YouTube - modified Lightforce 240 XGT HID dirving on a coutry lane I think these are the XGT 240`s which are the same reflector, not sure but should be comparable. They are an awesome light and have different lense options for diff beam patterns. The guy in this video I think had them focused in too much. You can unlock the light and refocus the depth of the bulb. My LF 170`s unlock and they spin to change the focus. pretty cool IMO.
I like this video of 'how' they can be adjusted or focused;
YouTube - Lightforce XGT - focus with black spots

Very nice touch!!! However, for $100 I can buy a set of used Hella Rallye4000s and retrofit them to HID. I'd have about $200 into a pair once all said and done. Much better pricing than the Lightforce (which could end up stolen at any given moment in some places I need to park overnight )

Originally Posted by Firekite
........... but I just can't imagine paying over $550 per light... Especially when I go to leave for work the next day and find some kid's taken them off.
Me neither

Old 02-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Slippery750
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah a lot of money, that why its not done yet. But keep in mind this includes new housings (stock housings will not seperate to work on correctly), high quality projectors with high and low beam capability, what ever color temp HID you want, and what ever leds or lights you want in there for turn signals also. And its completely adjustable the same way as the stock headlight. I think it not too bad for a bolt on upgrade considering the amount of work he puts into them. Have you watched the You Tube video?

Old 02-05-2010, 02:50 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Yeah a lot of money, that why its not done yet. But keep in mind this includes new housings (stock housings will not seperate to work on correctly), high quality projectors with high and low beam capability, what ever color temp HID you want, and what ever leds or lights you want in there for turn signals also. And its completely adjustable the same way as the stock headlight. I think it not too bad for a bolt on upgrade considering the amount of work he puts into them. Have you watched the You Tube video?
I've seen all 4 vids, and watched others... and actually have an instruction sheet on how to install "retrofit" projectors into stock housings (just as the videos are showing) which came directly from a projector manufacturer... so let me ask;

Why can't you bust apart OEM housings?? I know otherwise... or ask LAXAPLAYA21 (see posts below by him, or my link to his posts). It seems very doable, and has been done.

Like I mentioned before, The projectors I just bought for $60... are HELLA, from a BMW for $60 pair (used of course and, are High/low beam capable due to the solenoid actuator). Are they not "high quality" as you mention... or did I miss something? Also, is he installing new or used projectors for $700?

And are his projectors high and low beam capable due to the bulb style (H4-3 for example)? Or is the projector doing the work of high/low (via actuator or solenoid as an example)?

And what 'new' housings is he installing into, if the stockers aren't capable of separating? I see Ebay units for $100 pair... and boy, they are fugly. Then I see fuglier ones for $300... I'm assuming he'd be using a taiwan headlight assembly. Or I'd hope OEM (but not after you made the comment about not being capable of separation)

....but am curious to know more.... (at risk of a thread hi-jack)

Old 02-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Slippery750
Freshman User
Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime
I've seen all 4 vids, and watched others... and actually have an instruction sheet on how to install "retrofit" projectors into stock housings (just as the videos are showing) which came directly from a projector manufacturer... so let me ask;

Why can't you bust apart OEM housings?? I know otherwise... or ask LAXAPLAYA21 (see posts below by him, or my link to his posts). It seems very doable, and has been done.

I was told it has something to do with the adhesive that OEM uses. He said it does not react to heat and does not allow it to reseal properly. Why don't you ask him yourself? He will respond to questions concerning to that video.

Like I mentioned before, The projectors I just bought for $60... are HELLA, from a BMW for $60 pair (used of course and, are High/low beam capable due to the solenoid actuator). Are they not "high quality" as you mention... or did I miss something? Also, is he installing new or used projectors for $700?
I never said yours were not high quality, how would I know anyway? I never claimed to know... Apparently I have not built any projector headlights yet. I would assume part of it is if you look at the projector the glass is cut very smoothly and no lines are visable giving it a cleaner look? Also color of the glass?

And are his projectors high and low beam capable due to the bulb style (H4-3 for example)? Or is the projector doing the work of high/low (via actuator or solenoid as an example)?
If I remember correctly it was the bi-xenen projector itself doing the high/low with a solenoid.

And what 'new' housings is he installing into, if the stockers aren't capable of separating? I see Ebay units for $100 pair... and boy, they are fugly. Then I see fuglier ones for $300... I'm assuming he'd be using a taiwan headlight assembly. Or I'd hope OEM (but not after you made the comment about not being capable of separation)

....but am curious to know more.... (at risk of a thread hi-jack)
The ones I would supply or he would get them for me if I tell him what I want.

I'm not sure what caused this rant of yours but I was simply providing information to the thread.

This route is not for everyone. I am a very do it myself kind of guy but considering I have moved into condos where it is not even legal to work on a vehicle at all I would consider this an option for anyone who does not have an oven in their garage to heat the plastic (for making the shroud) and other tools required for this project.

Keep in mind I got this quote about two years ago when hid retrofits were not too common and your kit I assume was not on the market. Did you not also mention in an earlier post the you have an amount of labor involved? Another consideration for anyone who simply wants the lights and does not want to put in the time and effort. This is why I purchased a fully assembled truck instead of a few pallets of parts!

Oh and please post pictures of your completed projectors and their light output on a wall or something. I'm curious how it turns out.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Motoxman_117
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know what kind of kit you need to retrofit the Hella Rallye 4000 series offroad lights? I just tried to retrofit some Hella 550 Fogs with the H3 HID bulbs and they wont work because the 550 H3 retainer clip is in the way. Is there another way to do this retrofit?

Old 02-07-2010, 09:50 PM
jstglockem
Junior User
HID

Thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I just put HID in my Ex-2004, I love them. I did blow one of the balast in the first month. I spent $250 on the set. I would advise not going cheap when you buy them. They do get hot temp wise. As far as the blown balast I think I just had a rotten one out of the bunch. I also have HI / LOW beam which was hard to find with the set that I have. I wanted pure white with a hint of blue in them. They are very nice and I would never go back. The headlight assembly that came with the truck is crap..I think..

Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
I'm not sure what caused this rant of yours but I was simply providing information to the thread.
Rant?? I was simply asking questions that came to mind. I guess me being direct and to the point is 'ranting'... Either way, thanks for the info. I didn't know it was an old quote... but that may help the next person looking to get this done.

And by all means, I'll post a new thread for my own projector work. I'm not sure I'll document it as well as he did (the youtuber), but you'll get the idea. It'll more than likely be a "when I have time" project... nothing too soon, since my current HID setup works excellent.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:37 AM
scott 1
New User
Xenon ,Bad light pattern with OEM housings

Originally Posted by jnobles06
so are they just the xenon bulbs? they have the hid kits with the ballasts, bulbs, and the projector headlight kits on ebay for about 160 bucks.
Hello ,Just finished uninstalling a nice set of Philips HID xenon ,high quility,made in Germany,took about an hour.I spent two nights trying to allign them.With the lo beam adjusted perfectly I had good light way better than factory H13 bulbs,Now turn on the Hi beam and they point in the trees ,light scatters everywhere.I really wanted these xenon to work on my 2005 F 350 ,I have factory installed xenon on a 2005 Range rover there is a huge difference from hallgens they are great .You will not be happy with full xenon and oem reflectors , for sure not on a 2005 F 350 not compatable Sorry.I was thinking about installig a Bright kit that allows you to opperate hi & lo beam at the same time but have wondered about over heating the wiring and light sockets ,Has anyone tried this? Also does any know how to bypass the hi beam cut off that turns the fog lamps off when hi beams are on RE 2005 F 350 the headlight switch is different than a 2001 as showen in a previous comment.Thanks ,scott

Old 02-16-2010, 11:41 AM
Fair 96
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting the video.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:03 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Originally Posted by scott 1
Hello ,Just finished uninstalling a nice set of Philips HID xenon ,high quility,made in Germany,took about an hour.I spent two nights trying to allign them.With the lo beam adjusted perfectly I had good light way better than factory H13 bulbs,Now turn on the Hi beam and they point in the trees ,light scatters everywhere.I really wanted these xenon to work on my 2005 F 350 ............You will not be happy with full xenon and oem reflectors , for sure not on a 2005 F 350 not compatable .................Thanks ,scott
Sounds like you don't have a "quality" bulb.... would you care to post pictures of this bulb your trying to use?? I've been able to use H13, and 9007 Dual-HID with great results.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:12 PM
scott 1
New User
Sorry Ive sent the kit back to philips.

Sounds like you don't have a "quality" bulb.... would you care to post pictures of this bulb your trying to use?? I've been able to use H13, and 9007 Dual-HID with great results.
The philips kit is as close to a true xenon conversion as you can buy,The factory reflectors just cant take the amount of light the produced .

Old 02-16-2010, 10:41 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
The philips kit is as close to a true xenon conversion as you can buy, ......
Why is that? What makes them so special? .... and what is a "true xenon conversion"?

.......... The factory reflectors just cant take the amount of light the produced .
Really? Never heard of a reflector being limited by light output. Interesting (and inaccurate) concept.

... I guess you missed where Philips and other companies you'd think are being built in Germany (or known quality euro locations), a lot of them are actually being produced from China factories. READ MORE HERE ... don't want to mislead anyone, so I'll put it out there somewhat bluntly.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:27 PM
speed1972
Freshman User
Gotta bring this back from the weeds LOL.

Has anyone put a set of HID's in these? They are projectors and recon is a decent company. Yes they are $500 but wouldn't this eliminate all the problems?

Recon Accessories: Part # 264193CL - CLEAR Projector Headlights Ford Superduty 05-07

LB

Old 04-27-2010, 09:35 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Probably not. While they are "projectors" they are still designed for halogen bulbs, not HID. So they aiming may still be off, but the ability of the projectors to mask it may be better because of errant light causing glare would be less likely to escape the housing.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:55 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I wanted to do something with the stock lights of my 2006 F-350, as they were lousy. My plow lights were much better. I tried just replacing the bulb with one of the white light bulbs (not HID). Didn't increase the light range or spread at all; just made the light less yellow.

I ended up just adjusting the aim of the headlights - raised them up a few turns.

Made a huge difference; can see great now.

Quick Reply: HID headlights