1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front leaf spring removal- how hard?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 02:12 PM
BoulderBob
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front leaf spring removal- how hard?

I was talking with a local 4x4 shop about installing a pro comp leveling kit on my 2001 F 350, the owner of the shop wished me good luck removing the front springs without a truck lift- something about the front bolts being a real bear. I've installed lifts on a samuari and a land cruiser, is there something particulary difficult about Fords? I hate to pay a shop to do something I can do! How hard is the install on a pro comp leveling kit? Do Icon mini paks install easy and work OK?

Old 04-24-2009, 03:24 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I did the install on my 02 in the driveway with jackstands by myself. It's not rocket science, just take your time and be careful. If it's your first time to do anything like this, have a good set of instructions...read them...read them again...read them one more time...take them to the truck and read them while you do it. A good online source is alldatadiy.com. I use it for all of my vehicles. Make sure you have all the required tools before you loosen the first bolt and soak everything in penentrating oil the night before. Good luck with it.

EDIT: I'm the type of person who would rather spend the money I would pay a mechanic on expanding my tool collection.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:58 PM
dew the thunder
Elder User
Icon mini packs are about the easiest way to level your truck. Just drop the axle from the springs, remove ubolts, slip in the mini packs, and install new ubolts. They do not require new shocks because the mount under the shock mount.
This is the route that I plan on going as soon as I get done with the performance aspects of my truck.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:49 PM
ameinig
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put the Icon mini packs on the front of my 1999. They seem to work well.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:15 AM
high ho silver
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BoulderBob
I was talking with a local 4x4 shop about installing a pro comp leveling kit on my 2001 F 350, the owner of the shop wished me good luck removing the front springs without a truck lift- something about the front bolts being a real bear. I've installed lifts on a samuari and a land cruiser, is there something particulary difficult about Fords? I hate to pay a shop to do something I can do! How hard is the install on a pro comp leveling kit? Do Icon mini paks install easy and work OK?
The shop guy thought you were wanting to replace the front springs. A leveling kit just adds to the front springs. If you were changing the old springs out, you would have to remove the bolts on either end of the springs, and the one on the front is sometime a PITA. In a condensed version, once you take the nut off the bolt want slide all the way out without taking some other stuff off.