1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

One piece tilt front end

Old 05-08-2014, 03:25 PM
cvmercer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
I missed this when you wrote it. I have one on my 51 that does not have cut fenders. I have a complete write up on it with pictures. If you want a copy I'll need your real e-mail address.

There have been lots of threads about this

So send me an e-mail through FTE with your e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Dear "Julies Cool F1, hello, my name is Chad Mercer, my father asked me to reach out to you. He and his wife are restoring a 1948 F4 and they would like to make the hood a tilt front hood. They saw some of your posts and pictures and like what you have done with your truck and have seen that you have helped others with some information. My father is curious if he could potentially get whatever notes and info you may have regarding the build of your tilt front end. Thank you so much for your time and help, my email address is cvmercer@hotmail.com.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:38 PM
dmack91
Elder User
Chad,

Unfortunately, "Julie" is no longer on the forum. She turned out to be a he and it was not received well.

Hopefully others will be able to help you.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:01 PM
cvmercer
New User
We were kind of wondering about that, with a women's name like Julie and then there were some male references. In some of her/his post's he/she refers to emailing people information about her/his tilt front end, do you by any chance know of anyone that may have recieved that info?

Old 05-08-2014, 05:10 PM
cvmercer
New User
Originally Posted by ccaappyy
Julie,
My email address is rag@netins.net.Thanks for the great post.You are doing an awesome job on that 51. ccaappyy

CCAAPPYY, Good afternoon, did "Julies Cool F1" by any chance ever email you the info regarding her/his tilt front end. I tried contacting "Julies Cool F1" to inquire about getting the info but she is no longer on the forum. My father is restoring a 1948 F4 and he really likes the looks of the pictures that "Julies Cool F1" has posted. If she/he ever did email it to you, would you be willing to forward it to me or give me "Julies Cool F1's" email address? Thank you for your time and help.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Alcaeus
Elder User
Originally Posted by cvmercer
CCAAPPYY, Good afternoon, did "Julies Cool F1" by any chance ever email you the info regarding her/his tilt front end. I tried contacting "Julies Cool F1" to inquire about getting the info but she is no longer on the forum. My father is restoring a 1948 F4 and he really likes the looks of the pictures that "Julies Cool F1" has posted. If she/he ever did email it to you, would you be willing to forward it to me or give me "Julies Cool F1's" email address? Thank you for your time and help.
I have it if you want it.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:09 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I do hope your dad and wife heed the warnings that the doghouse is large, heavy and flimsy so it requires quite a lot of reengineering and compromises to work even half a$$ed. When raised it makes an excellent sail in any breeze and with the inner fenders attached it doesn't really provide much extra engine access. Leaving the inner panels off and your engine will get a heavy bath when driven in the rain.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Alcaeus
Elder User
Why dont they just tilt the hood and not the whole dog house?

Old 05-08-2014, 08:05 PM
cvmercer
New User
Originally Posted by Alcaeus
Dear Alcaeus, Yes, if you could forward it to me I would greatly appreciate it, my email address is cvmercer@hotmail.com I will then forward it to him. I will also have him take a look at this forum thread as well to see your's and AXracers pointers. Thank you so much for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Alcaeus
Elder User
I sent it off. I ended up not going that rout my self.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:57 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why dont they just tilt the hood and not the whole dog house?
cvmercer, flipping the hood is a whole lot easier on these bonus built 48 -52's. Another member here, 48Steel did a really nice job on his making all his own hardware to do it. I did mine a little different and here is a picture of it.
You can see that I attached the front of the hood to the valance, and pivoted the valance on a detachable rod that is spring loaded into bearings mounted in the top corner of the fenders where the valance was bolted. It works really well, and now I have gas shocks that hold it up mounted to a 1" tube frame that I made to support the hood and the latch that opens with a cable on my dash.

Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2014, 09:50 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by topmoo
cvmercer, flipping the hood is a whole lot easier on these bonus built 48 -52's. Another member here, 48Steel did a really nice job on his making all his own hardware to do it. I did mine a little different and here is a picture of it.
You can see that I attached the front of the hood to the valance, and pivoted the valance on a detachable rod that is spring loaded into bearings mounted in the top corner of the fenders where the valance was bolted. It works really well, and now I have gas shocks that hold it up mounted to a 1" tube frame that I made to support the hood and the latch that opens with a cable on my dash.
Topmoo, Attaching the hood to the valance was a good idea, eliminates the need for a complex motion hinge for the front of the hood to clear the valance

Old 05-09-2014, 03:09 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
Topmoo, Attaching the hood to the valance was a good idea, eliminates the need for a complex motion hinge for the front of the hood to clear the valance
I agree, I had not seen this done before. Nicely done Topmoo! I had seen Topmoo's design a while back. It works on the 51-52's but unfortunately not 48-50's.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:17 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
I always forget that the 48-50 won't work because of the grill. Check out
48 Steel's '48F1 . He designed and built a really nice set up. He has pictures in his profile or gallery.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:20 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by AXracer
I tried the complex motion hinge first and could never get it right. Too complex for me! But this way works well.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:00 AM
TonyB55
Senior User
Hi Alcaeus. Would you please send me the file, too? My email is tony@brucatosvs.com
I already have a steel tilt front end, but I'd like to get some other ideas for lifting and latching.
Thank you in advance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: One piece tilt front end