Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Extacie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker

So what about this speaker?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218011395087
Also, how hard is it to install it my self? What all do I have to do? I am sure I could figure it out, I am generally good at figuring that type of stuff out, but I was curious as to what all I would have to do to get it to work properly and then I will research it farther. Honestly, I really don't wana have to spend $40.00+ to have best buy install it, and I would like to learn myself. How much of a difference will a notice from a boozka like this one? I have a 400W home system that I listen to music on, it has to speakers then the sub, will it beat as hard as that? Thanks, Tyler.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Extacie
Senior User
I don't think the link is working, so here is the description that best buy gives of the speaker:

Become the boom master with this 400W subwoofer which comes enclosed in a tube for powerful bass.

What's Included
Bazooka 10" Dual-Voice-Coil 4-Ohm Subwoofer
Mounting strap
Owner's manual
Product Features
From our expanded online assortment; not available in all Best Buy stores
Professional installation is strongly recommended for this product. Please visit your local Best Buy store for details.
Up to 400W peak power handling
Along with 200W continuous power handling for rich sound.
Poly-paper woofer cone
With rubber surround for a solid construction.
35Hz - 250Hz frequency response
For accurate sound reproduction.
4 ohms impedance
Conducts power evenly to keep the speaker at an appropriate level.
106dB sensitivity
Picks up highs and lows for faithful sound reproduction.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Extacie
Senior User
My friend suggested me getting Rockford Fosgate P3 Shallow Mount 12" and then buy an amp that is anywhere between 600-800W. (I have a single cab truck) With the amps do you generally want to get less than the actually sub so you can't push it to its limit and blow it or do you generally want to get more watts on the amp than the sub?

Old 04-20-2009, 09:43 AM
AudioNutz
Senior User
Did you like the way it sounded when you listened to it?

Old 04-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Extacie
Senior User
I did not really like the bazooka and have heard bad things about it. I'm going to listen to the rockford today after school. But with an aftermarket head unit how hard is it to install myself? what about the amp question? thanks, Tyler.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:28 AM
AudioNutz
Senior User
Never buy speakers that you don't like.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:03 PM
djmyko
New User
Beware of Bazooka subs. They are a very unstable company and may not be around much longer. They are dumping tons of discontinued product on the market with no ability to repair or warranty since all of it is made in China now. They closed there Baton Rouge Louisiana plant years ago and they are nothing more than a importer now. If you look at there products from 5 years ago they had MADE IN THE USA on everything. Not anymore. Just another American sellout.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Frankenbiker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Economic realities aside, for the same money, you can build a "bazooka killer" that will run rings around the bazookas.

Bass Tubes are good for filling out the laughable bottom end of a factory system, (especially in leased vehicles) but not good for much in the way of "thump", even in a single cab.

Here's a bit I pulled from the audio forum on FullSizeChevy.com when I was a regular over there:

for around 250 bucks you can make your own
Basstube/Basslink killer:

heres on of my recipes all bought from IkeSound.com
$125.00 Alpine MRP-M350 AMP
$ 73.00 Alpine SWS-1041D SUB
$ 23.00 Raptor RAP101 .8cu foot enclosure
$ 20.00 8ga amp kit

it will pwn a basstube
I built something similar for my Freightliner with components sourced from CarToys. The amp isn't quite big enough for the noisy environment, but it completely overwhelms anything the 8-inch Bazooka could EVER do. (one of their old-school ones that I used to use in here)

-blaine

Old 04-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Extacie
Senior User
Thank you ofor your input. I ended up buying a Rockford Fosgate p3 shallow mount (12") like I said my friend had told me. I also bought his amp (Actually I do not know the name of it) Its an 1800W amp, so it has more than enough power and he helped me install it, it really is quite simple once you've seen someone do it.

Now, my friend turned the bass down quite a bit on my head unit and my friend said "Do not turn it up past 30 and leave the bass where it is for the first month of continuis play" he said if I turn the bass up or the volume much higher than I could blow the speaker.. He said his actually caught on fire. (Its a brand new sub) So is there any truth of this to your guys's knowledge?

Thanks, Tyler.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:15 AM
freeman666
Junior User
all speakers must be broken in especially subs, listen to your friend.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:36 PM
gthbryce
Senior User
I also bought his amp (Actually I do not know the name of it) Its an 1800W amp, so it has more than enough power.

I could buy a 1800watt amp at pep boys that doesn't mean it's even putting close to a third of that amount of power out. Did you get the dual 2ohm version or dual 4ohm version? How did you wire it? Are you running 1ohm stable or 2 ohms stable? It's really important to know what amp you have because certain amps are only stable to a certain ohm load. Some are stable down to 1 ohm some aren't even stable down to a 2ohm load. Not to mention we don't know how much power it's putting out at that ohm load if neither we or you don't know what amp you have. You don't want to blow your amp do you? Or your sub-woofer? You can easily under power a woofer.