Sponsored by: DP Tuner

white smoke, and other issues. ahh

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:25 PM
hgoody77
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
white smoke, and other issues. ahh

whats going to cause white smoke? i just had the dang thing back at the shop and now it wants to put out white smoke. they charged me for a i think an ICP? i'd have to go get the ticket again. this is a 99 7.3L
they told me that the Hpop is leaking too. at the back were a big snap ring was, said i'd have to replace the hpop. not rebuildable he said. man im tired of hanfding out money on this thing.

also, to me it seems like the truck idles rough. i may take this damn tuner out and see if that clears anything up, i am not sure what type of tuner it is even, it was on the truck when i got it. has a little silver **** on the dash with 6 positions. previous owner said 50/75/100/140/stock.
has a small wire harness that goes down to the driver kick panel. goes into a computer box there.

I really want to keep the truck. i just got it but im getting aggrivated with it real quick. i have spent 1300 already, and now 200 on the icp? deal. I ain't sure if im getting the shaft or this truck is a damn lemon and everything is just slap wore out or what. 230K miles on the truck. They rebult the turbo, replaced the pedistall, repaired the upper Y pipe collectors from leaking. replaced one injector, tested the others.
AHH, im getting tired of spending the money for one thing after another. i'm thinking that the previous owners had not done a lick of maintenance.
I really should ahve done A LOT more research before buying a diesel.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Bump for you Howard...

Old 03-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
That sounds like the old TS chip and those tunes match the numbers exactly. Do you still have stock injectors?

Edit: Oh, leaking HPOP is serviceable. That is a fallacy.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:37 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
White smoke on initial cold motor startup is usually somethign in the glow plug system. I would start by installing a stancor 586-902.

Linky 586-902

They are $47ish, and easily installed by yourself. Guzzle has some good info on them.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:49 PM
hgoody77
Senior User
the white smoke is just all the time while driving it, not like putting a cloud out or anything were you can't see the car behind me or anything, but enough to make the car behind me change lanes. and me to see it plain as day. or at night.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:52 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Does it smell like oil? Have you checked your oil lately? Since you said they "rebuilt" your turbo, I suppose there could be a chance something wasnt done right, and now its pouring oil into the exhaust? That happens sometimes when the turbo is needing rebuilt.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:53 PM
hgoody77
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
That sounds like the old TS chip and those tunes match the numbers exactly. Do you still have stock injectors?

yes they said they are stock injectors. they said they took them out and bench tested them, and found one not passing? so they replaced it. whats TS chip? i'll get a picture of it tomorrow.

sounds like the hpop is hard to get to eh? have to take the turbo and stuff off to get to it? seems like i read it was like in the valley, center of the motor up top?

Old 03-29-2009, 10:54 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hgoody77
yes they said they are stock injectors. they said they took them out and bench tested them, and found one not passing? so they replaced it. whats TS chip? i'll get a picture of it tomorrow.

sounds like the hpop is hard to get to eh? have to take the turbo and stuff off to get to it? seems like i read it was like in the valley, center of the motor up top?
You do not need to pull the turbo to get to the HPOP. Its in the front of the valley, right below the fuel bowl, were the fuel filter goes.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:57 PM
hgoody77
Senior User
Originally Posted by rebelchevy02
Does it smell like oil? Have you checked your oil lately? Since you said they "rebuilt" your turbo, I suppose there could be a chance something wasnt done right, and now its pouring oil into the exhaust? That happens sometimes when the turbo is needing rebuilt.
i sure hadn't. i picked it up friday, drove it a little this weekend. but now that you mention that it did , to me, seem like the turbo sounded a little different too. i do smell oil. there was oil all over the engine when i got it back from them doing the topend stuff, turbo work and all.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:00 PM
hgoody77
Senior User
so the hpop may be something i can do myself i guess. i mean i do know how to work on stuff i was just hoping to get stuff done right the first time and get this truck in good shape, and do the up keep and future repairs as needed. after reading plenty on this site.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:17 PM
hgoody77
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350

This is the **** on the dash, and the wire harness going into the box at the kicker panel. how can it have 6 position switch and only have 3 wires?

Old 03-29-2009, 11:18 PM
hgoody77
Senior User
should i go ahead and try to swap out that CPS on it too. see if that does anything for it? that may be the idleing rough.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:46 PM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Generally speaking, white smoke is an indicator of unburnt fuel. If you HPOP is going *****-up, it may not be injecting high enough oil psi to get a full stroke on the injector.

If it were me, I would get a scanner on it and watch my ICP and duty cycle. That will tell you alot about your HPOP and whether is toast.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by hgoody77
should i go ahead and try to swap out that CPS on it too. see if that does anything for it? that may be the idleing rough.
I am thinking your best bet would be to hook up with one of the members that is close to you with an AE and some experience and have them take a look at it. I know that there are several FTE guys in Tennessee area...

Old 03-29-2009, 11:54 PM
hgoody77
Senior User
alot of them seem to be east TN or at least in Nashville, 4 hours from me, hell i ain't sure the truck would make it there.
I will chime in the regional room and see though. thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: white smoke, and other issues. ahh