97 F-250 questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
97 F-250 questions

Went and did a once over on the truck.

Tim wont answer his phone or call me back, so you guys get to listen to me. har har har.

Lift kit is all spring. That is good thing.
He didn't do anything to the stearing linkage though.
I think its a 4 inch lift. You should have a drop from the box at 4 inches shouldn't you? I do not know anything about lift kits. He put in a stabilizer in there. The linkage all pointing up instead of being straighter seems like it would hinder the turning of the vehicle, or put unnecessary stress on the joints. I didn't drive it, so I cannot say how well it turned. But if it just needs that drop from the box, easy peasy fix.

Underneath isn't to rusty, which is good. The cab corners have surface rust, but there is no rust behind on the rocker panel.

Front drivers side fender was replaced. Guy did a good job, I didn't notice except that it seemed flimsy, but I noticed one of the bolts was loose, so I just wrote it off that it was moving from that. Could be a Chinese panel. You can't tell. guy did a great job painting it.
Somebody backed into that corner in a parking lot.
I duno how the hell they had something high enough to hit it, but they did. haha.

He has shimmed out the front bumper. Looks alright. I think I would redo it though.
Nerf bars are mounted on the cab bushing bolts. Is that normal? They are rusting a lot right there, I think I'd cut em off. Nerf bars are for sissies. :P
They are in the way for my side pipes!

Exhaust is junk. Been cobbled a bit and stock DP. The only performance upgrade he has done is a superchip. You can tell it's chipped riding in it. The exhaust is really holding it back, he was wondering why he was only getting 13-15 mpg. Well dude, you cant have a crappy stock DP, then choke it down and then run it out the back at 4 inches. haha.
I see why you guys change that stock DP, man that thing is just junk!!!!!!!!

I haven't seen this for a while, but the outside window trim on the door has fallen in. Its original glass all the way around, I checked that because my truck only has 2 original windows in it. (poor truck.)
It's been down long enough for that lip it clips in to rust a bit. This easy to fix? I have never done it. Generally I attribute this to somebody trying to pop the lock with a slim jim or one of those new deals they have.

He's broke in though the back window on the truck. He has a replacement lock in there, but you can see where somebody ran a screw driver though it.
The door locks didn't work, gotta use the Fabb, at least he still has it, my truck is missing its. So, I'm guessing that's why the windows are messed up.
On both sides the flap that keeps stuff out of the locks are gone, or screwed up. No idea about that.

There is oil around the oil pan denoting an oil pan leak, but I saw it on top of the starter as well, that means the pedestal is leaking as well, correct? Big Deal?
I would imagine myself plugging the one dealy bob on there with the whatchamacallit that rick does. haha, Had to throw that in, I forgot what the hell it is he welds on those.

Stock air box, looks good. (well as good as it can)
I hope he changes the fuel filters. The stock cover is still on there as well.

Only cosmetic problems I noticed were the bit of rust on the cab corners, which can be sanded and fixed. cause it is surface rust.
and the tailgate is pretty beat up. He's got the bow in the gate. haha. not often you see that, but its an older style gate too, doesn't have the aluminum on it.
The latch doesn't work. That is always fun to fix. =\ oh joy. There are some dent's in the bed, just glad they are not in the cab or the front. Bed should probably be pulled and replaced. It's the same color as coons truck.
Oh, yes, the passenger side rear brake cylinder is leaking. And the rear bumper is bent, cause he backed into something. haha.

He has cheepie mud flaps screwed into the front and back.
I actually hate that. but, it makes me wanna put old man style mud flaps on my truck.

oh, one of the arms on the seats is broken off.
it has the captains chairs and the weird center counsel, not the 30/40/30 or however it works.
40/20/40 there we go.
I like the chairs, but the arm being broke is kinda sad.
The back seat looks great though.
The other set of tires, 35's, are junk, but he has the nice aluminum stock wheels. They need to be cleaned up. BFG's look like they were not aligned for a while. So much history you can tell from tires. But i dont think he has ran them for a while, the tires on the truck are at about 40%

oh, clutch bushing needs to be replaced.
I'm so jealous of you guys with the diesels. That metal clip rocks. I got a plastic on in my truck
Must be because of the zf5 and a different master cylinder setup. I like how that works compared to my m5od.

Everything looked good.

Looks like about 300 dollars and it will be good for whatever, and 1000 will get it really lookin good. Then there is the pedestal and oil pan issue.

I took a picture of the door tag.
I don't know the info as well as you guys. and I'm to lazy to go find the decoder on dial up at the moment.
I don't have it bookmarked.
Just a review quickly
97 f-250.
4.11's
5speed
4wd
supercab

Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Oh yea, Needs new batteries.
How much am I looking at for batteries?

Old 04-03-2009, 10:20 AM
powersmoker96
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my batteries at adv auto for 150.00 or so for the pair. there are better ones than the ones I got but they always start it. as fo all the other things that have issues, they are not all that bad. Hope you get it so you can stop complaining about not having a psd! lol.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Sweet. I get a discount at Advanced too!!!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:22 AM
powersmoker96
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here ya go vin decoded
Your VIN number: 1FTHX26FXVEA81931 <table style="border: 1px solid rgb(153, 0, 0);" width="600" align="center"><tbody><tr> <td colspan="2" style="padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 5px; padding-left: 15px;" align="left" bgcolor="#0099cc"> World Manufacturer Identifier - 1st, 2nd, 3rd Positions: </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="padding-left: 15px;" width="25%">Manufacturer: </td> <td>Ford Motor Company, USA</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#0099cc" height="1">
</td></tr> <tr> <td style="padding-left: 15px;">Make:</td> <td>Ford</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#0099cc" height="1">
</td></tr> <tr> <td style="padding-left: 15px;">Vehicle Type:</td> <td>Truck (Completed Vehicle)</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#0099cc" height="1">
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" style="padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 5px; padding-left: 15px;" align="left" bgcolor="#0099cc"> Brake Type and GVWR Class - 4th Position: </td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#0099cc" height="1">
</td></tr> <tr> <td style="padding-left: 15px;">Brake System: </td> <td> • Hydraulic brake system, Class G, GVWR 8,501-9,000 pounds, None</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#0099cc" height="1">
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" style="padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 5px; padding-left: 15px;" align="left" bgcolor="#0099cc"> Line Series, Chassis Type, Body Type - 5th, 6th, 7th Positions: </td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#0099cc" height="1">
</td></tr> <tr> <td style="padding-left: 15px;">Line Series: </td> <td>F-Series - F250</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#0099cc" height="1">
</td></tr> <tr> <td style="padding-left: 15px;">Chassis Type: </td> <td>4x4</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#0099cc" height="1">
</td></tr> <tr> <td style="padding-left: 15px;">Body Type: </td> <td>Super Cab</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#0099cc" height="1">
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" style="padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 5px; padding-left: 15px;" align="left" bgcolor="#0099cc"> Engine Type - 8th Position: </td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#0099cc" height="1">
</td></tr> <tr> <td style="padding-left: 15px;">Engine: </td> <td>7.3(445cid) DI-Turbo</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#0099cc" height="1">
</td></tr> <tr> <td style="padding-left: 15px;">Cylinders: </td> <td>V-8</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#0099cc" height="1">
</td></tr> <tr> <td style="padding-left: 15px;">Fuel Type: </td> <td>Diesel</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#0099cc" height="1">
</td></tr> <tr> <td style="padding-left: 15px;">Horse Power: </td> <td>TBD</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#0099cc" height="1">
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" style="padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 5px; padding-left: 15px;" align="left" bgcolor="#0099cc"> Model Year - 10th Position: </td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#0099cc" height="1">
</td></tr> <tr> <td style="padding-left: 15px;">Model Year: </td> <td>1997</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#0099cc" height="1">
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" style="padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 5px; padding-left: 15px;" align="left" bgcolor="#0099cc"> Assembly Plant - 11th Position: </td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#0099cc" height="1">
</td></tr> <tr> <td style="padding-left: 15px;">Assembly Plant: </td> <td>Kentucky Truck: Jefferson County, Kentucky</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#0099cc" height="1">
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" style="padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 5px; padding-left: 15px;" align="left" bgcolor="#0099cc"> Production Sequence Number - 12th - 17th: </td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" bgcolor="#0099cc" height="1">
</td></tr> <tr> <td style="padding-left: 15px;">Sequence Number: </td> <td>A81931</td></tr></tbody></table>

Old 04-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Yea. I found it there easily.
I forgot the Vin Doesn't tell you jack diddly. hahaha.

I love the HP rating though. "TBD - Turbo Diesel!"

I duno the axle decode numbers.
It should have 4.10's or 4.11's whatever fords is.
4.10's I think.
I'd like 3.73's. *dreams*

Old 04-03-2009, 11:03 AM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
c5 axle code is a 4.10 limited slip. here is a list for future reference. https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...de_Chart_.html

the tailgate without the moulding is actually the new one, not the old one. 97 models just had the plain tailgate.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
oh, my bad. I can never remmeber which years had it. I like the older style, like on the 91's.
They were a little bit stronger back then as well.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:17 AM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
oh, my bad. I can never remmeber which years had it. I like the older style, like on the 91's.
They were a little bit stronger back then as well.
i like the looks of the older ones, but they can be troublesome for trucks that havent "lived" in a perfect climate or been taken good care of. anything with cracks and crevises that can collect road salt, water, sand, etc almost always leads to rust.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Yea. i know that for sure.

Looks like he didn't drive it in the winter to much. Just in the water a lot. haha, or mud. But the parts are not wore down. he just neglected to wash the under carage before putting it to the road. DOH!

If I purchased, I'd get under there with a can of anti rust and a hoze and just lay it in some places for now.
some of the typical spots are showing signs of starting to rust.
I can save it though! i have the power/knowledge to do it.

I always wanted to have the time and space to do a frame up start on one of these trucks. start with a frame/motor/powertrain and just get it all setup and put the cab and everything on. I'm just a bit afraid of all the electrical.
It would be a mint truck that would avoid almost all rust.
Just spend time fixing the spots where things gather with a welder and some brains.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where's the pictures??? We all like pictures.
An address too he he!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
I didn't have my camera with me yesterday and the phone was almost dead, so i just snapped the door tag really quick.

Like I said, it looks like coons truck.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
I took some pictures. I'll post them a bit later.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
set one of pictures

Attached Images    
Old 04-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Looks good T ...Definitely something you can work with ....

Quick Reply: 97 F-250 questions