6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Death of a giant?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:38 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Death of a giant?

Why are all the automakers killing off the Stick shifts? I just read an artical on the 2011 superduty and it stated that this will most likely be the end of the manuel trasmition. I understand that Automatics have come aloooooonnnggggg way since they first came out. Now they can be programmed to Tow/Haul,Race,Save Fuel, and what have you but It still seems like there would be a large market for Stick shift buyers.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Dean88
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They aren't completely dead, the Toyota diesel concept had a 6 spd eaton tranny in it.

One of the reasons they are disappearing is that the only people who can afford a 50K truck don't want a manual tranny, they want it to ride like a car, and be quite and not smell.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:07 AM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean88
One of the reasons they are disappearing is that the only people who can afford a 50K truck don't want a manual tranny, they want it to ride like a car, and be quite and not smell.
Not completely true. One of the biggest reasons is the lack of demand from the fleet market which is one of if not the biggest market for Ford trucks. Fleet purchasers used to want base trucks with manual transmissions and no A/C. These days that is no longer true and most want auto transmissions and A/C...

Old 04-09-2009, 08:49 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my experience being a mechanic at several dealers the problem is just as was posted. People want quiet, smooth ride, easy to drive and a cup holder. They do want their trucks to drive and feel like a car
and that is the problem with the new trucks these days.
One little squeek, rattle or harsh feeling from running over a pothole and it's back into the dealer for warranty problems. Probably more than 75% of the repairs I did at the dealers were for squeaks and rattles. People like that do not want stick shifts. It takes too much effort on their part to drive.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:43 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
As a fleet operator it is my belief that we have dumbed down the population on how to operate most anything mechanical.
In the eighties we still had people who could drive sticks but couldn't operate a manual choke correctly. Today if you send someone out to start an older vehicle with an automatic choke they can't do that properly or understand how to kick it down off fast idle, and we have people with doctorate degrees who can't drive a stick.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:46 PM
valdor
Senior User
To stickshift

imo, driving a stick is much more rewardind and satisfying and make you feel less than a passenger in your truck. Am sure tons will dissagree but i like to "work" my truck through the gears. I may also be a dinosoar...

Old 04-09-2009, 02:55 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Its also possible that the power ratings of the new Super Duty Diesel have crossed the point where they can have the pickup driveline live long enough with an acceptable amount of warranty claims behind the manual transmission.
Automatic trannys are easier on the driveline allowing smaller, less costly components and can be programmed to manage the power output of the engine during shifts.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Jordan M
Junior User
people are just pussies, thats why they dont like driving sticks

Old 04-09-2009, 07:45 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jordan M
people are just pussies, thats why they dont like driving sticks

People are LAZY, end of story.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:29 PM
bubbasinafordf150
Senior User
i gotta agree with what was said earlier, more people now days are wimps and dont have a clue on how to start and or drive a standard transmission. i think it should be mandatory when a person gets their licesne that they know how to drive a manual transmission. every one now days wants a automatic cause of ease and comfort but i say hell with that cause that the problem with half of the drivers on the road now. they are to comfortable and therfore they have more wrecks. in a manual transmission you have to pay more attention then you do in an automatic. look at the statistics more automobiles that are automatic have more wrcks than manuals and im not talking about little roll back on a hill and tap some ones bumper im mean totalled vehicles (not drivable). does any one else agree on this

Old 04-11-2009, 01:49 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I disagree bubba, with standard it just becomes so natural that you don't even have to think about it to shift or anything, just do it. I don't pay any less attention with my auto truck then I did with my stick truck.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:08 AM
bubbasinafordf150
Senior User
to some people it may not but then again all ive owned since before and after i got my licsense is a standard transmission cause when i get in an automatic it screws me all up to where im all over the road. then there some people who can drive an automatic aand not be all over the road then jump in a manual and scare teh crap outta you drivin.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:05 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Manual transmissions are too distracting, they interfere with eating, napping, texting, drinking, shaving, phone calling, makeup application, reading, bird flipping, DVD watching...................................etc.
You know, all the important stuff that needs to get done while people are behind the wheel.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:05 AM
stevestroke01
Senior User
Originally Posted by origcharger
Manual transmissions are too distracting, they interfere with eating, napping, texting, drinking, shaving, phone calling, makeup application, reading, bird flipping, DVD watching...................................etc.
You know, all the important stuff that needs to get done while people are behind the wheel.
So True !

Old 04-12-2009, 02:22 AM
icrman
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It is most likely emissions related. Since engine parameters are more easily controlled with an automatic transmission behind it.
When an automatic is a pain with problems I like a manual. But still prefer automatics saves pumping a pedal and having a hand shifting.

Quick Reply: Death of a giant?