Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 02:45 PM
GB
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATF recommendations/4R70W problem

1995 F150 4x4 ext. cab
4R70W

I recently took a 900-mile trip home for Thanksgiving. No problems, truck ran great. On return trip, about 6 hrs from home, I stopped for coffee. I noticed that the tranny didn't want to shift into 2nd. It eventually would, but only after I backed off the RPMs. This was intermittent. Fluid level fine, fluid appearance and smell all ok. On the highway, no problems, with exception of one time it shifted a bit strangely into OD. Difficult to describe this. Since returning a week ago, I have only had this shifting-into-2nd gear problem a couple times. I have tried to induce it, with rapid acceleration, and slow acceleration, both cold and warmed up. Still I am feeling the slightest double-grabbing in the 2nd-to-3rd shift. I don't know that I would call it a shudder. It is very subtle. It connects, and then connects again within a split second.

I am the 3rd owner. The previous owner told me that he changed out the ATF once, and that the original owner also changed it once, so it hasn't been neglected. Previous owner tells me it has Mobil 1 ATF in it now. I have heard mixed reviews on Mobil 1 ATF.

When it comes to trannys, I don't work on them. I'm don't have a garage right now, and I have never opened up a tranny. I'm wondering what could be going on in there that is causing this. Could there be an electrical issue that is responsible? I'm wondering if perhaps the filter is causing a problem (I'm inclined to say no, since it's been serviced twice, but who knows...maybe they didn't change out the filter with the last change, etc.). Perhaps it is something as simple as getting the Mobil 1 out and something better in.

There are no funny noises...no clunks, whines, or anything strange that I can hear. I could probably get in it right now and drive away without any noticable problem.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-15-2003, 10:07 PM
jetfiremuck
Mountain Pass

Just cruising thru the problem pages....I worked at a LincMerc dealer same trans in linc mark 8 car. We were told do a trans fluid change first, if it came back put a new torque converter. Ford had a tsb on it. It appears that the same problems occur in all vehicle lines with ford linc merc. Hope this helps.

Old 01-16-2003, 12:59 PM
cmlind
Senior User

I have a brother and an uncle who have had similar problems with their 4R70W tranny. They both went to the same shop who changed the fluid and put in Chrysler ATF+3 fluid in and solved the problem. I don't know who else would recommend this, but I did see a jug of Chrysler(mopar) brand fluid sitting by the desk at the Ford dealership parts counter.

I guess a little shuddering is common in these transmissions. My best advice would be to find a good transmission shop and have them drop the pan and inspect the transmission.

Old 01-16-2003, 09:52 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Drain the pan...and tighten all the bolts holding the valve body up. Mine was doing the same thing and thats what it turned out to be, all the bolts were only finger tight.

Ryan

Old 01-17-2003, 12:28 AM
74crwcb429hibPS4spd
Elder User