Sponsored by: Moser

Rock Chips

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 05:03 PM
broncobran68
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock Chips

Anyone else chipped their windshield yet? I have four chips and only 1700 miles. I had them repaired at the local windshield shop today and I think it looks worse. Are fords windshields notorious for being junk? I drive the same roads that i did with my last truck and it didn't chip like this.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:29 PM
BartStar
Junior User
Pass up those semi trucks with missing mud flaps.
I'm afraid to say this cause people on this board is going to think I'm crazy, I do a lot of off roading and to keep my paint from being chipped or scratched by tree branches, I cover my truck with clear thick plastic and duct tape, yea I know you can't install that on the windshield cause you won't be able to see.
just had to tell everybody cause most people on this board have no off roading experience, no fun
I have been called names and critized cause i take my F150 off road, its funny cause i kinda wonder why anybody would spend money and buy a 4X4 if they never take it off road?? i kinda think thats a waste of money, they should have got the 2 wheel drive F150

Old 04-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BartStar
Pass up those semi trucks with missing mud flaps.
I'm afraid to say this cause people on this board is going to think I'm crazy, I do a lot of off roading and to keep my paint from being chipped or scratched by tree branches, I cover my truck with clear thick plastic and duct tape, yea I know you can't install that on the windshield cause you won't be able to see.
just had to tell everybody cause most people on this board have no off roading experience, no fun
I have been called names and critized cause i take my F150 off road, its funny cause i kinda wonder why anybody would spend money and buy a 4X4 if they never take it off road?? i kinda think thats a waste of money, they should have got the 2 wheel drive F150
Wow it just flows from your trap lol Lots of people on this board have 1000X more experience of roading than you do so stop making crap up. Also there's more uses to 4x4 than just off roading. I have 4x4 for when it snows and i need to get to the top of the mountains on snow covered roads. I don't intend to do any off roading so 4x4 is not just for off roading. You have come out with more crap than i have ever seen anyone come out with on a forum. Your even worse than I Eye on engadget lol

Old 04-01-2009, 06:07 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Originally Posted by broncobran68
Anyone else chipped their windshield yet? I have four chips and only 1700 miles. I had them repaired at the local windshield shop today and I think it looks worse. Are fords windshields notorious for being junk? I drive the same roads that i did with my last truck and it didn't chip like this.
I'm not aware of this being a known issue, but 4 chips does seem like a lot. The windshield in my SD seemed to take a beating until finally a rock that looked to be a little bigger than a quarter came flying off a coal truck I was meeting on the highway. Now, that left a pretty decent chip.

I don't know if this will help, but I bought one of those do-it yourself kits from Auto-Zone and repaired it myself. You could still see it a little bit, but it looked 90% better.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by broncobran68
Well 3700miles so far and not one chip "touch wood" What i will say though is there seems to be an optimum distance behind a truck that throws them at your windscreen. My wifes mazda looks like the front bumper has been shot with a machine gun but she drives about 5ft from the trucks Yeah i know way to close. I never sit any closer than 150-200 yards to any trucks/cars infront of me and very rarely get stone chips on bumpers or windows. So i cant really say if the screen is any different than my other cars.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:23 PM
silver05fx4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you must have just found the lucky rock that hit it in the right spot, it happens to all cars

but i think PPG makes the glass not ford

and for fixing chips in windsheilds safelite is the best i've seen and offer a warrenty if the fixed chip cracks the windsheild