Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

79' F-350 SuperCab Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:30 AM
northeaster79
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey big,hows the project 350 comming,you must be busy working on it?let us know how your making out.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Big Dam 350
Junior User
Hey guys I'm finally getting back to the truck. I decided to wait till the floor got finished in my garage to get back to work. Man what a difference a little concrete makes the project is going great. I have the "B" pillar back in of the drivers side and both cab corner supports. This weeks plan is to get the inner and outer rocker panels back on the passenger side. This truck has been a great learning experience. I'm just still trying to decide how far to take it for now. My wife has been pushing to get a full paint job on it before we put it back on the road. I’ve started looking at the enamel paints at Tractor supply. Does any have any experience with them?

Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 AM
northeaster79
Elder User
its good to hear your back at your project big,sounds like its comming along nicely,enamal is pretty good paint,and its not overly hard to work with,I use alot of hardner in it once its reduced to give it a little more shine without having to lay the paint on to thinck and get runs.
and the price is right when you compair it to base clear,but the omni brand base/clear is pretty cheap too.either way I'm sure it will turn out looking good.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Big Dam 350
Junior User

Fixed inner cab support and "B" pillar on drivers side.

Rebuilt inner cab support on the pass. side too. Did a lot of floor work and rebuilt the inner lip of the outer rocker panel and replaced the whole inner rocker panel. Starting on Pass side "B" pillar. Getting there slow going and hour or two at a time. I was hoping to have it on the road by winter to play in the snow but that's not going to happen. The new goal is to have the body ready to paint by spring.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:19 AM
northeaster79
Elder User
looking good big,it all takes time,I wanted to have my 78 ready for the car show in june,my new goal is to have it ready for the car show next june.I could have rushed the body work and had it done but I figured I'm this far into it,and wouldn't be happy with a rush job so I might as well do it the way I wanted to start with.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:33 AM
ford141
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice work, keep it up! Good to see another Pa dentside owner with a '79 1 ton! Wish mine was a supercab... How are the cab mounts on it? Mine has similar rot in the corners and floors, but the front cab mounts are starting to go as well.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Big Dam 350
Junior User
The cab mount brackets coming off the frame are in good shape, but all the rubber bushings are cracked up. One is sagging a little so I'm going to replace it before I start putting the outside sheet metal on. I'm really happy I found a super cab the kids and the dog can't wait to go for a ride back there. There was a truck just like mine at the Carisle show with a 460 it was a sweet looking truck. Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Old 08-18-2009, 02:34 PM
fordrealdrive
Fleet Mechanic
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
nice truck, looks to be coming along nicely. heres a motivational image if you like
Attachment 17086
this is my 79 f350 4x4 ranger lariat 33k orig. miles 6'' lift 38.5'' procomps 400m 4spd 4:10gears

looking forward to seeing yours finished!!!...........but are they really ever finished?

Old 08-18-2009, 03:19 PM
ford141
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Dam 350
The cab mount brackets coming off the frame are in good shape, but all the rubber bushings are cracked up. One is sagging a little so I'm going to replace it before I start putting the outside sheet metal on. I'm really happy I found a super cab the kids and the dog can't wait to go for a ride back there. There was a truck just like mine at the Carisle show with a 460 it was a sweet looking truck. Thanks for the encouragement guys!
Was it in the show or in the car corral? I was at the show but saw so many dentsides that I can't keep them all straight.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:15 PM
kadrocker
Senior User
I still wanna see this truck in person! I'm not too far away!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:36 AM
Big Dam 350
Junior User
FordRealDrive Great truck that pic is defiantly inspiration. That paint on your truck, did you do it yourself? Mine came with the opposite layout. The dark was inside the racetrack and the light brown was on the out side then at some point the PO did the red. How does your 400 do moving your truck around? I have 4.10's also and the long term plan is to go to 37's. This truck has a lot of hauling and towing my car trailer in it's future.

kadrocker you more then welcome to come up and see the truck. It doesn't look like much right now but it's getting there. Your right down the road from me. But be warned I'll put you to work! j/k!!

Ford141 the dent side I was talking about was in the corral. It was on the end of a row near the midway. It was parked next to another dent side regular cab.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:45 AM
kadrocker
Senior User
put me to work! i don't care!

Old 08-19-2009, 04:14 PM
fordrealdrive
Fleet Mechanic
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
[quote=Big Dam 350;7845071]FordRealDrive Great truck that pic is defiantly inspiration. That paint on your truck, did you do it yourself? Mine came with the opposite layout. The dark was inside the racetrack and the light brown was on the out side then at some point the PO did the red. How does your 400 do moving your truck around? I have 4.10's also and the long term plan is to go to 37's. This truck has a lot of hauling and towing my car trailer in it's future.[quote]

thank you big dam 350, the paint on my truck is in original cond. the top of the cab needs to be repainted as its faded pretty bad. I'm not sure if I've ever seen one w/the opposite paint layout. will you be going w/the original paint scheme? that would make for a good picture to have the two trucks side by side!!!

as for the 400 moving the truck, ill say the trk pulls hard but is not fast by any means. my tires are 10ply radials & are the heaviest tires I've ever owned so it takes some power to get that rolling mass moving. the only real load I've put on the trk is a full pallet of 50lbs sand bags & i was rather pleased w/how the trk performed

Old 08-20-2009, 06:45 AM
Big Dam 350
Junior User
fordrealdrive the paint style is still undecided but the thought now is "tunnel ram" kinda grey/tan from eastwood outside the race track. Then black inside the track, I was thinking about doing the carbon fiber effect that they showed on musle car tv.

Do you have any work done to your 400? Headers, carb, cam? I'm hoping that it will tow my trailer without to much trouble. I might have to stay will 35's because PA lift law is only 30" to the bumpers.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:00 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Big dam 350. Its too bad you are doin all that work on your cab. At truck carlisle earlier this month there was a RUST FREE super cab for only $400. I almost bought it, even though i dont even need one

Quick Reply: 79' F-350 SuperCab Build Thread