1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

valve cover baffles

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 12:12 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
valve cover baffles

I have a 71 302 in my 55 does it matter which side the valve cover with the baffle is on or the PVC valve?
Thanks in advance

Old 03-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
In physical function - venting - no, the PCV system can suck from either side. But I think the covers have a slope to the tops that is designed to go on certain sides - parrelling the slope of the lifters. And usually the valve covers are designed to have the PCV cover on the right (passenger side). You want that in the back of the engine because that is where the drain channel for the oil in the upper head flows down to the crankcase - so it is the most direct route for venting.

I can't think of any other reason other than fit, but I'm not sure I know all the caveats either - not sure I'd fool with going different on that. I'd put the PCV on the right and filler baffle on the left.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:19 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Julie is right, no difference except if you put it on the left side you would have to put oil in the right rear valve cover and that can be a problem under some hoods. Usually not a problem on our trucks as there is so much room.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:10 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses, the reason I asked was that my PVC is on the driver's side and it does make a sucking/clicking sound while its running. I can squeeze the hose so there isn't any suction coming off the carb base and it stops maybe the PVC valve is toast?