Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel hub studs question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:52 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
OK, assume you have a 4x4. Guzzle's site has great instructions. It's not too difficult with the right tools. A cheater bar is your best friend - homemade even better. Take your time, have a brew when you get frustrated and take lots of pics. You'll be fine.

Originally Posted by vettdvr
The hub assemblies have 2 different thread assembly, both will work but you must have the correct nuts for the 4 studs.
Agree.

Attached Images    
Old 09-13-2011, 09:00 PM
djkswiss1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if you are replying to me..? Does my post sound like all I need to do is follow guzzles directions and replace the needle bearing or do I need an entire hub assembly?

Old 09-13-2011, 09:35 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by djkswiss1
Not sure if you are replying to me..? Does my post sound like all I need to do is follow guzzles directions and replace the needle bearing or do I need an entire hub assembly?
From your description, I'd plan on replacing the whole assembly and check the stub shaft for damage. There are some detailed write-up's here similar to Guzzles with lots of photos. Check ball joints and tie rod ends while you're in the neighborhood.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The fine vs course thread stud was the stud to mount the bearing hub assembly on a 4wd to the truck, not the wheel studs. The hub assemblies have 2 different thread assembly, both will work but you must have the correct nuts for the 4 studs.
The wheel studs were coarse '99 through '02 and then they went to fine.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:27 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok well I bought new tires and toldthem to do a front end alignment. They wouldn't do the alignment as they said I needed a new left front hub assembly. I jacked the truck up annd grabbed the top annd bottom of the wheel and it rocks back and forth and has quite abit of slop. It is also dificult to spin the wheel. And it makes a grinding noise.
If you have 4wd (update your stats) you will need a whole new hub.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:07 AM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok well I bought new tires and toldthem to do a front end alignment. They wouldn't do the alignment as they said I needed a new left front hub assembly. I jacked the truck up annd grabbed the top annd bottom of the wheel and it rocks back and forth and has quite abit of slop. It is also dificult to spin the wheel. And it makes a grinding noise.

It sounds like they gave you good information. I highly recommend you don't drive but replace the bearing. The bearing can fail and separate from the truck.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:17 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The fine vs course thread stud was the stud to mount the bearing hub assembly on a 4wd to the truck, not the wheel studs. The hub assemblies have 2 different thread assembly, both will work but you must have the correct nuts for the 4 studs.
Sorry it is referring to the wheel studs. Course unto 02 and fine thread in 03 and newer.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:26 PM
wallz
Postmaster
If you have the time I would take the tire off, rotor and investigate further. Check the ball joints and if you have the time check your stub shafts. I know it will be a little to get in there but the last thing you want is to order new hub/bearing assembly if all you need is needle bearings, or you need to get a new stub shaft if the old is grooved.
The reason I say this is if you need new hub assembly, ball joints and stub shaft you are better going onto Dana track web page and looking at thier free spin kit. It will have all the complete kit and be almost cheaper if you need to replace all those parts, plus the bigger point of BETTER quality.

I just replaced my ball joints and was $600 in parts and did the work myself and that was without the hub/bearing units and stub shafts. Hub units in Timken brand run $250-300 each plus the stub shafts that ford hoses you on about $300-400 each.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:03 PM
radmacks
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anybody know where I can order the hub assembly mounting bolts Ford part #F81Z-1107-AA other then a dealer ship that will ship to Canada? I cant find them on Rock

Old 07-06-2013, 10:22 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by radmacks
Does anybody know where I can order the hub assembly mounting bolts Ford part #F81Z-1107-AA other then a dealer ship that will ship to Canada? I cant find them on Rock
Did you get some new hubs with out them? When I replaced mine the new timken hubs had them in the box.

When I did cheap china one 1 1/2 yrs before I just bought new at local ford dealer. I think they were in the $12 range. No t really worth ordering from the states. Maybe if you know someone down there you could have em sent to them and then they mail to you?

Old 07-06-2013, 10:33 PM
radmacks
Senior User
Are you in Canada ? I'm gonna try a different dealer in Monday so frustrating.

Originally Posted by wallz
Did you get some new hubs with out them? When I replaced mine the new timken hubs had them in the box.

When I did cheap china one 1 1/2 yrs before I just bought new at local ford dealer. I think they were in the $12 range. No t really worth ordering from the states. Maybe if you know someone down there you could have em sent to them and then they mail to you?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:07 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Can you reuse the old ones? Will take some heat.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:04 AM
wallz
Postmaster
Are you in Canada ? I'm gonna try a different dealer in Monday so frustrating.
I was in the north wet coast back then. Even further north now, but they can bring in usually over night parts by air at a reasonable cost. Thank goodness they don't even stock a cop up here or it would have cost me $100 to buy one. I bought mine in the states at $54 each and had them air freight up here in 2 days and still saved heaps.
I feel your frustration man.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:10 PM
radmacks
Senior User
I removed the olds ones but one was damaged So i need to replace just one of them

Old 07-07-2013, 03:06 PM
wallz
Postmaster
I think I have a few extra ones and would send them, but would probably take a week to get to you.

Quick Reply: Wheel hub studs question