1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Finally Tried starting my 55 F-250 today, but fuel issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Glockem45
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry More news.

Ok guys, tonight was the night I was able to try mounting the M835 fuel pump. Needless to say it does not work as the arm is way to long and I can't even get it close enough to the block to mount it. Yea.

So I figured what the hell, so I took the arm off of both fuel pumps and swapped the arms. The short arm from the M3553 pump fits on the M835 perfectly. Now the M835 fits on the engine perfectly, but I can't tell if the arm is engaging the cam/eccentric or not. It is too dark outside to maintain my patience right now, so I stopped for the evening. If this one doesn't work, I am giving up and going with the electric set up like others have suggested. I have been as diligent as possible with this mess, and I think I am not going to be able to find a mechanical fuel pump for this engine.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Well dang! What a mess. I don't mean to sound to skeptical, but if the new arm were going to work, yo would have felt some tension on it whe nyou installed it. If/when you find one, you will notice that you will get the bolts started and you will have spring tension on it as you bolt it in.

It might be worth the savings in frustration to go electric if it doesn't work. Or maybe another call to the Carter guys for one more go around. But shoot, in the time you have been fooling with this, you could have put on a lot of miles enjoying the truck.

I'm just really curious about this at this point! You seem to have one of theose weird quirk Ford things on your hands that would be interesting to figure out!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:15 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,113 Likes on 820 Posts
I say don't give up yet! You seem to having soooo much fun!

Old 04-02-2009, 09:54 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
#$@&*$#!!! Ain't this hobby fun? We are having fun aren't we????

Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Don't throw the towel in just yet...we have sooo many more pumps to try!!!

Just kiddin of course....give it a break,swap the arms if ya feel like it, give Carter another call, wait till the weekend to give it another shot. In the meantime, look for another frame to salvage some pieces from.( BTW...those tubes on the rear crossmember would be a great place to hide a set of flame-throwers!).Your too close to the end game to stop now....keep after it.
I was just wondering,...if no fuel pumps advertised for this engine actually "fit" this engine...wouldn't that be false and deceptive advertising? Good Luck!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Glockem45
Elder User
Thumbs up

Hey guys. I don't want to give up b/c I am to stubborn to quit. I might give Carter a call today to see what they say. I did swap the arms last night and I don't think either would work. The pumps fit fine, I just need the correct arm. I asked Carter last week couldn't they just send me some arms so that I can try them, and they said no, against policy or legal stuff, liability, etc.

Man this is just crazy. You should have seen the long arm that came with the M835. It passed over the cam and I assume ws very close to touching the crankshaft inside, of course though I couldn't see this unless I was inside the engine. Silly Ford inconsistent engines.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Glockem45
Elder User
Thumbs down

Ok guys, I have been on the phone with Carter all morning, and no dice. The bottom line is that there are severl correct pumps that fit perfectly on the block, but it is the arm that is causing so many problems. I'm stumped now, other than to go electric.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:30 AM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Welcome to the 'Darkside' Luke...

Old 04-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, I tend to be a little agressive sometimes when I get frustrated like this. I might be tempted to take the new fuel pumps you have up to the biggest NAPA in townand ask them to just start pulling pumps out that you can look at. They'll probably want to "brain you" but, that's life.

I take it the one you just installed didn't work?

Here is a thought that might help as well. Without the bolts cozy the pump up to where is should be installed. Then slide it up it slightly (or down as the case may be) until it touches the eccentric. That will give you an indication of how much off the arm is and what to look for in another pump.

I find it odd that this is causing this much trouble. I'm not sure I would believe the numbers you took off the engine block (you did take them off the block, right?) and maybe venture into fuel bumps for a year earlier and a year later. Ford had quite a tendancy to use up old parts in the next years line. And then there's always the PO element.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Glockem45
Elder User
Thumbs up

Yes Julie, I got the casting numbers offf the block. I can take a picture of the numbers if you would like.

My local NAPA is the only place I can where they actually can help me, but most importantly they speak english. I might take them in today and see if they will let me pull them off the shelves and see what might work.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:11 PM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
If your pump is driven off the camshaft, wonder if someone replaced it, which might cause the pump arm to be different on the camshaft. If the eccentric on the cam was larger or smaller than the stock one, the pump arm would be different than the one shown for your engine. Just a thought.
Larry

Old 04-03-2009, 02:09 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,651 Likes on 1,474 Posts
Why don't you just get and engine to fit your fuel pump? It might be easier!!! ha-ha

Old 04-03-2009, 03:05 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
or you could try the one I posted to you on page 2 of this thread.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Glockem45
Elder User
Thumbs up

Hey Dennis, I think the one you have the arm is incorrect and won't make contact to the cam plus the shape of it won't cover the hole in my block. Thanks though.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Glockem45
Elder User
Thumbs up Good News

Ok guys, I got home a little early today b/c I wanted to try the pump arm swap. So here it is again, last night I swapped the curved arm off of the M3553 and placed it on the M835. Keep in mind the curved arm is aimed downwards at 30 degrees now, and is fitting below the cam in the engine. I mounted it today and low and behold it seems to be working at the moment. Julie was right that once the bolts started tightening down, I could feel the pump tightening up b/w the arm and the cam i.e. tension. So I hooked up the fuel lines, cycled some fuel through the hoses over to the carb and hit the starter. The truck is still idling outside as I write this post. The funny thing is now that I swapped the arms, I can't return either pump, and since you can't get glass bowls anymore for the M835, I can take the glass bowl setup off of the M3553 and mount it up to the M835 if I want to.

Here are a few of the pics from this evening.

Quick Reply: Finally Tried starting my 55 F-250 today, but fuel issue?