Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

the Virginia Chapter GARDEN thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 07:32 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have yet to water any....the heavens are doing a pretty good job of it here. Don't think we've had a 4 day stretch without rain since I planted over a month ago. Sometimes it rains every day. I worried the seeds would rot we had so much rain the first few weeks after planting. Do have a couple soaker hoses standing by tho, just in case.

Welfare-"I think the best possible social program is a job." Ronald Reagan

Old 07-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WORD:

I've been talking to the folks at Weeks Seeds in N.C. At this point in the season, they are willing to sell seeds retail - you don't have to buy a display or get a referrel to one of their "Customers" in your local area, and they cut me a deal on a whole bunch of packs of their GIANT varieties!

Mellon, Pumpkin, Cantalope, and others...

In a week or so I'll have more than enough for next year, and I'm going to cut another pumpkin patch this year just to see what a super-gigantic pumpkin hill DOES!

If you ever wanted seeds for stuff that grows so big it's STUPID now is the time

Old 07-15-2009, 05:23 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Good info to know Wolf !! Reps Too ya !!

With all this really wet weather at the first of the planting season..i thought my plants were going to get root rot? and now with the lack of Rain...I have had to water the garden patch every few days...But I did pull off our first Vine Rippened Mater off the vine and man were they good on whole wheat bread and plenty of Mayo !!

Old 07-15-2009, 05:50 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Originally Posted by alchymist
Got a feeling that 1500 acres is field corn? Tastes a lot different than sweet corn.
Corn up here is only about 8-10 inches high. "Knee high by the 4th of July" is our standard. Got some tough tomato plants tho. One was about 6" high when I ran smack dab over it with the F350. Squashed it good. Two weeks later, you'd never know it. Looks as good as it's companions..

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. - modern adage.

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--><!--[endif]--><o></o>
Yeah I found out yesterday that a company has leased that 1500 acre's from my neighbor, and there going to sell it for bio -fuel...

Old 07-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
My mater vines finally are starting to wake up, but they were an afterthought. There's a mellon just barely started, and I decided to pop together a divider fence between the mellons and pumpkins in the #2 bed. Pictures later...

Old 07-15-2009, 08:10 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

(Left half of garden -Last week):

Attached Images   
Old 07-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
You've definitely got a lot more room to play with than I do - I'm going to have to put a sign next to the street that reads: "CAUTION! WATERMELLON CROSSING"

I seeded three more hills of yellow crooked neck squash, several rows of butter lettuce, two rows of giant Cucumber (Cucumis Sativa) *Weeks NC Giant Variety, broccoli, and a block of "Silver Queen" sweet corn that will have various beans cross-cultivated among them. One of the beans is a variety of string bean from Weeks that has three foot long pods, and should be pretty amazing...

Old 07-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice patches yall have going

My garden is basically dead. . .I have a few cherry tomatoes still going but it's done. . .Not sure what happened, everything was growing better than perfect. . .then about 2 weeks ago everything just kind of stopped. . .now most everything is dead or dying with just the cheeries producing but poorly

last 2 years have been bountiful outside of powdery mildew on the squash but you couldn't want any more vegetables

Could it be a fertilizer thing or nutrients? Is it possible I have stripped the soil of all the good stuff?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I thought about getting a soil test kit from Lowes next year, because at this point I have no idea what that dirt is like (Except BOMBED with Miracle Grow and Sevin dust).

Soil test kits are fairly cheap and worth doing at least once.

It could be over fertilized, leached out, minerals missing, the Ph screwed way off to the side - and there's no way to be sure without testing.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I can only post up a few pics at a time without them being ford truck pic's - but here's a small update -

The "STREET-SIDE" garden is the first picture, and I wish my Ranger was in it. That stuff is all running wild now, and the watermellons are beginning to "MELLONATE" nicely The one shown is only three or four days old and well on it's way to a foot long.

The third pic is from the first patch where you can see sure-fire "PUNKINIZATION" taking place

And GET THIS: I started two hills in the back with giant variety seeds from WEEKS of NC. One of watermellon, and one of Cantaloupe with six seeds in each hill - more about that later, but I have a plan now to make it easier to do the tilling.

~Dutch

PS: I know this much now - vine plants like these are positively UNRULY and grow wherever they WANT to... And yes - there are morning glories from God knows where competing with the vines

Attached Images    
Old 07-29-2009, 01:38 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Greywolf, the plants in the picture...in the background are potatoes, the foreground are bush beans. Here's a shot of some "Burpee Golden Tender" squash just picked. Taste great fried!

Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
(YES, I'm a "Thread Archeologist")

If anyone is interested in GIANT varieties of vegetables, I have a lot of seeds left over for Weeks North Carolina Giant:

Tomatos
Watermellons
Cantaloupe
and Pumpkins

I also have a whole bunch of hot pepper seeds:
Thai Hots
Tobasco
Long Red Cayenne

Shoot me a PM, and I'll give you my mail address where you can send a self addressed stamped envelope and I will HOOK YOU UP for free!

Just let me know what seeds you want....

~Dutch

Old 03-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
According to the 2010 FARMERS ALMANAC, these are the predicted "Last Frost" dates for the following cities in VIRGINIA:

Charlottesville - April 7
Norfolk - March 20
Richmond - April 6
Roanoke - April 13

I guess we'll see how close they are...