Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Instant water heater

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 11:18 AM
srqdiesel chef
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We put a Rinnai on a 600 sq ft addition and it works great still using electric for the main house with solar booster( lots of black hose on roof) and that works out pretty good too.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:26 PM
jsoko
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
price of water heaters has dropped (but not at the home stores)
if you have 220V (saves $) get the smallest one with 2 elements
enjoy

Old 03-29-2009, 01:31 PM
jsoko
Senior User
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by srqdiesel chef
We put a Rinnai on a 600 sq ft addition and it works great still using electric for the main house with solar booster( lots of black hose on roof) and that works out pretty good too.
Rinnai ; no way at $1,100 (includes valves) no flue pipe

Old 03-29-2009, 02:56 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Ran the conduit for 220v just need to get off my backside and run the wire. Leaning towards propane and tankless; don't want to revisit the issue if decide to do something about the heating, or go with the elect. water heater which would be by far less labor intensive. Appreciate the suggestions, thank you!!.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:51 AM
srqdiesel chef
Senior User
Originally Posted by jsoko
Rinnai ; no way at $1,100 (includes valves) no flue pipe
buddy works for local propane co. got it on closeout for $400, we ran all the piping ourselves, even put in a full kitchen that the inspector thought was a bunch of empty boxes(heh-heh).

Old 03-30-2009, 05:12 PM
f4fran
Senior User
Originally Posted by srqdiesel chef
buddy works for local propane co. got it on closeout for $400, we ran all the piping ourselves, even put in a full kitchen that the inspector thought was a bunch of empty boxes(heh-heh).
And he's reading this thread right now!!!!!

JK

Fran

Old 04-04-2009, 11:58 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,719 Likes on 1,404 Posts
In our garage with a guest room and "kitchenette" I installed a 30 gal electric WH from Sears. I left it on the 20 amp setting; it also has a 30 amp setting. That was satisfactory for a couple of showers when my sister and her hubby were down. BR sink runs off it too. For the "kitchenette", I have a 2 gal. electric under the sink. It is 120v 15a, and is on it's own 20a circuit.

So, I shut them off at the panel when not in use, and when guests are on the way, I click them on. For a party with no overnighters, I can just turn on that kitchen unit for hot water there.

Now I don't have freeze issues or need heat in the garage part, so that's a bit different maybe....

Old 04-05-2009, 03:37 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
While doing some cyber shopping came across the 120v, 20gl electric water heater which has the on/off switch, hmmmm.

'Chaosracing' is right on, installing a tankless electric heater is not an option, if understand correctly, they require an 80A circuit, wow.

Also came across the G.E. Hybrid electric water heater, from what I was able to gather, works on water pump principle, using heat exchange. Claims to cut elect. cost inhalf, problem is it's not being introduced until 4th quarter of this year and not sure willing to wait. Also, assume G.E. will put the unit thru series of test and quality control procedures but usually not enthusiastic being among the first group to test any appliance or piece of equipment.

In meantime, arrange for local propane provider to come out for site inspection to determine if feasable to install a tank and still be able to route the pipe thru grove of redwoods.

Appreciate the input, still considering all options and have couple months before installing. Thanks!!

Old 04-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
The new tax credits for energy star tankless (all tankless are rated energy star) you get 30% tax credit up to $1500 max for this year and next year. So if the unit costs $1500, that will mean a $450 tax credit. That includes this year and next year. So do garage this year, house next year.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:59 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Chaosracing
The new tax credits for energy star tankless (all tankless are rated energy star) you get 30% tax credit up to $1500 max for this year and next year. So if the unit costs $1500, that will mean a $450 tax credit. That includes this year and next year. So do garage this year, house next year.
Just waiting for delivery company to let me know if propane is an option. Appreciate the tax credit info, imagine not eligible for tax credit if it's a 'do it yourselfer' and would have to be installed by a license contractor. To have it done by a professional, thus documented, seems like a great opportunity to upgrade with a discount. Appreciate the info.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
No, you still qualify for the tax credits if you install yourself. Just talk to your tax guy about them. I believe all you need is some kind of documentation on the product and a copy of the sales slip.
Check out
How has the new Stimulus bill affected the tax credits for energy efficient home improvements?
It tells all kinds of info for heaters, windows, doors, insulation and other stuff.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:28 PM
popbreed
Junior User
Hey Dave,

I am using a tankless in my shop which includes a shower. It is a small unit with a 40 amp 220 volt current draw. I bought it from Ace Hardware on line and delivered free to my local store. It will provide enough "warm" water for a shower in the winter months even. No body had better turn on a faucet someplace else in the shop. I have been using it for 2 years. I had a 50 gallon electric which the utility company provided no charge but I estimated the monthly cost of keeping the water heater running was $25+ per month. I shut it off for 2 or 3 years before I bought the tankless unit. I love it!

POP

Old 04-11-2009, 05:29 PM
popbreed
Junior User
forgot to mention, I think the cost was less than $200 on sale!

Old 04-12-2009, 08:06 AM
jsoko
Senior User
dont know if the tankless heaters need one
but dont forget the Thermal Expansion Tank

Old 04-12-2009, 08:33 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 886 Likes on 735 Posts
Originally Posted by jsoko
dont know if the tankless heaters need one
but dont forget the Thermal Expansion Tank
There is no need for an expansion tank with an instant heater. Think about it for a minute or two and you'll realize why....

Quick Reply: Instant water heater