Vendor Specials, Discounts, Product Announcements & Group Buys This is the place to check out offers from FTE sponsors. Non-sponsor vendors may not post here.

Finally the CCV Mod kit is done...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:46 AM
krejci.mike
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBoat
I think I want to do mine this way also, I am running Rotella T dino and that is supposedly the worst offending stinker. So I need to build a trap and then reroute the hose back to the intake. Another weekend project gets added to the list.
Just wondering, why is taking it back to the intake necessary?

Old 03-19-2009, 09:04 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

It is not necessary but the Rotella T dino smell coming out of the hose stinks the worst from what I have read here, if I am going down the road no problem but if I am stopped/ideling I dont want to have to smell it?? Other reasons:
1) Im **** 2) I have a remote start on my truck and i always start it and let it idle a couple of mins before I take off and I dont want to have to smell it 3) Im **** 4) A question for the pros with the ccv open to the atmosphere. With this oily residue comming out of the ccv does the mist get on what you are towing or do you get a oily mist under your truck?

Old 03-19-2009, 09:46 AM
throwdown
Senior User
I would like to do this mod and Clays kit looks like the way to go, however, shipping to Canada is restrictive. I just got my new T-stat and housing delivered and the border tacked on an additional $20 for my trouble. So for the T-stat and housing and getting it here it cost about $150 Can. Don't get me wrong I know it's not Clays fault (BTW--thanks for the good service and great product Clay), it's just that if I had a parts list I think I can probably save buying local parts. Does anyone know the link for parts list and install instructions? Thanks

Old 03-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by throwdown
I would like to do this mod and Clays kit looks like the way to go, however, shipping to Canada is restrictive. I just got my new T-stat and housing delivered and the border tacked on an additional $20 for my trouble. So for the T-stat and housing and getting it here it cost about $150 Can. Don't get me wrong I know it's not Clays fault (BTW--thanks for the good service and great product Clay), it's just that if I had a parts list I think I can probably save buying local parts. Does anyone know the link for parts list and install instructions? Thanks
Here's my version and write up on the CCV with a parts list. This version includes a filter trap that vents to atmosphere as well so if you don't want to do that, just skip over the first few pictures. Hope this helps. I bought everything from the local hardware store.

CCV_Mod_pictures

Old 03-19-2009, 10:06 AM
throwdown
Senior User
Thanks, I'll give it a look and if I have any questions, I'll post.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
It is not necessary but the Rotella T dino smell coming out of the hose stinks the worst from what I have read here, if I am going down the road no problem but if I am stopped/ideling I dont want to have to smell it?? Other reasons:
1) Im **** 2) I have a remote start on my truck and i always start it and let it idle a couple of mins before I take off and I dont want to have to smell it 3) Im **** 4) A question for the pros with the ccv open to the atmosphere. With this oily residue comming out of the ccv does the mist get on what you are towing or do you get a oily mist under your truck?
The smell and oil mist/drip I think has been made a little bigger of an issue than it really is. I don't run mine very far back and very rarely ever smell anything, and I have Zero oil drips in my driveway( **** also) And think of it this way, if you were moving enough oil to see actual mist on what your towing, you would be actually losing enough oil to see on the dip stick. Just a thought

Old 03-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Bigfwt04
Elder User
Bump to top....

Old 03-19-2009, 03:11 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Not to diss, but you are basically negating any effect the CCV mod does for the truck by running it back to the intake. The dog house is already stuffed full of SS wool, so running it back to a catch can with more SS wool only adds restriction. Plus the SS wool will not take all the oil out of the mist, and you will still be dumping oily mist into your inake, and IC. There is a reason that International vents theirs to the atomosphere.

And, no Costa, nothing will get coated with oil. The smell is not as bad as you have been lead to believe. Yeah sure it stinks if you get under the truck while it is running and directly breathe the vapors out of the hose, but if you in the carpool line waiting for your kids to get out of school, you will not see other folks opening their doors to throw up after getting a wiff. I guess what I am saying is that it dissapates VERY quickly, and only if the wind is just right will you ever smell it while sitting in at a red light with the windows down.

OC is good sometimes Costa, but you are over thinking this. In the three years that I have had my CCV open to atmosphere (oh, and BTW I am running dual CCVs, one on the filler tube, and one on the doghouse) I have yet to see a drop of oil in my driveway from it.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:14 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
Because Brandon said so, LOL Plus it will give you +28hp
Only if you throw some of those nice stickers in with the kit.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:36 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Originally Posted by bdrummonds
Not to diss, but you are basically negating any effect the CCV mod does for the truck by running it back to the intake. The dog house is already stuffed full of SS wool, so running it back to a catch can with more SS wool only adds restriction. Plus the SS wool will not take all the oil out of the mist, and you will still be dumping oily mist into your inake, and IC. There is a reason that International vents theirs to the atomosphere.

And, no Costa, nothing will get coated with oil. The smell is not as bad as you have been lead to believe. Yeah sure it stinks if you get under the truck while it is running and directly breathe the vapors out of the hose, but if you in the carpool line waiting for your kids to get out of school, you will not see other folks opening their doors to throw up after getting a wiff. I guess what I am saying is that it dissapates VERY quickly, and only if the wind is just right will you ever smell it while sitting in at a red light with the windows down.

OC is good sometimes Costa, but you are over thinking this. In the three years that I have had my CCV open to atmosphere (oh, and BTW I am running dual CCVs, one on the filler tube, and one on the doghouse) I have yet to see a drop of oil in my driveway from it.
Thanks Brandon that really clears things up. I guess I can do it and if it turns out for some stupid reason I dont like it I can build a catch trap then.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Thanks Brandon that really clears things up. I guess I can do it and if it turns out for some stupid reason I dont like it I can build a catch trap then.
I'd say go for it and buy Clay's kit and see what you think. It'll be easy to alter it for a trap if you don't like the smell that you have. I can smell just a very small amount of oil but like Brandon said, I think we tend to over think stuff.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:00 PM
MX_Fyrcaptain
Senior User
Message sent. Gonna do this as soon as possible,

Old 03-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Originally Posted by MX_Fyrcaptain
Message sent. Gonna do this as soon as possible,
You know the rules, post pics of the finished product!

Old 03-19-2009, 04:41 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to see you've finally got it put together, Clay!

Hopefully the dang mailman will get to you soon. I'm kinda sick of waiting for the mail man.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:52 PM
MX_Fyrcaptain
Senior User
Just talked to Clay (a real nice guy). He told me that I have the early 99. I asked about the intake for the 6637. We're gonna work on both at the same time. I will get pics as soon as I get it all together.