Sponsored by: Moser

Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:48 PM
dontrowell
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny

I';m going to get my first Ford as soon as the 2010's come out, after reading as many forums as possible one common theme is the rough downshifting 6 speed tranny, just wondering is there a TSB from Ford regarding this issue, I would love to hear from members that have taken their trucks in for service regarding this matter, thanks.
sparky56

Old 03-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
To date i aint had this problem nor seen one member with an 09 with this problem! I did see one or 2 threads about people having problems with their expy's with the 6 speed but these seem to be isolated problems. The 09 does shift into second with quite a jolt when it's a cold day but i have only found it do do this just the once on the very first gear change. It's nothing major though. So far the 6 seed has been perfect and at times you can hardly even feel it up/down shift. Very smooth so far.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:09 PM
dontrowell
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bsimmer3000
To date i aint had this problem nor seen one member with an 09 with this problem! I did see one or 2 threads about people having problems with their expy's with the 6 speed but these seem to be isolated problems. The 09 does shift into second with quite a jolt when it's a cold day but i have only found it do do this just the once on the very first gear change. It's nothing major though. So far the 6 seed has been perfect and at times you can hardly even feel it up/down shift. Very smooth so far.
Most of what I have read seem's to be a complaint of it downshifting hard when your foot is taken off the gas, but one member say's that when it does this the fuel supply is cut off to aid in MPG.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dontrowell
Most of what I have read seem's to be a complaint of it downshifting hard when your foot is taken off the gas, but one member say's that when it does this the fuel supply is cut off to aid in MPG.
Ohhh yes thats a feature of the trans. I think i read that it keeps the tq converter engadged and it then uses the engine to brake just like a manual and then it shuts the fuel off. It's a great feature. you just tap ya brake when ya slowing down and it will downshift into a lower gear. If you brake hard then you prob wouldnt even notice it doing it.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:40 PM
dontrowell
Junior User
Ohhh yes thats a feature of the trans. I think i read that it keeps the tq converter engadged and it then uses the engine to brake just like a manual and then it shuts the fuel off. It's a great feature. you just tap ya brake when ya slowing down and it will downshift into a lower gear. If you brake hard then you prob wouldnt even notice it doing it.
Ahah, good feature, thanks.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
My only complaint when i drove an 09. Up to a 5 second delay on kickdown. The fuel cutoff thing could be the answer? Wouldnt stop me from buying it though

Old 03-18-2009, 06:32 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Exactly^^^^^

The design of the 5.4 heads made cylinder deactivation nearly impossible from an engineering standpoint, so this is one thing they came up with to help improve city mileage. I don't find it annoying or even noticeable whatsoever unless I am really paying attention.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:02 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
The 6 speed has tow/haul mode also. If the tranny in the '09 F-150 downshifts anything like the Torqshift with tow/haul, it will downshift pretty hard when it's in tow/haul mode as well. Mine does this but it's the way it's supposed to work. Never considered it a problem and actually, when towing, it does inspire a little more confidence.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:12 PM
dontrowell
Junior User
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
The 6 speed has tow/haul mode also. If the tranny in the '09 F-150 downshifts anything like the Torqshift with tow/haul, it will downshift pretty hard when it's in tow/haul mode as well. Mine does this but it's the way it's supposed to work. Never considered it a problem and actually, when towing, it does inspire a little more confidence.
I've been checking other forums & it would seem that since this is a new tranny people are getting alarmed at the downshifting, especially when at a good clip they take their foot of the gas & it immediatly downshifts, read of one guy that took his in three times, was told all times this is the way it is.
I had a GMC Sierra that had a real clunk from first to second when freewheeling, took it in numerous times, they even put in a new tranny to no avail, finally an exasperated sevice manager says this is the way it is just drive it , gave me 200k, no problem!!!!

Old 03-18-2009, 07:16 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Yeah. And I wouldn't worry about it too much anyways. The 6 speed has been in the Expedition since the startup of the '07 model year and from what I have read, there have been very few problems with it. Additionally, they've had a couple of years to get any bugs worked out of it by now. I really have heard nothing but good things about it myself.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:19 PM
dontrowell
Junior User
Yeah. And I wouldn't worry about it too much anyways. The 6 speed has been in the Expedition since the startup of the '07 model year and from what I have read, there have been very few problems with it. Additionally, they've had a couple of years to get any bugs worked out of it by now. I really have heard nothing but good things about it myself.
Thanks, as this will be my first Ford, just trying to get as much feedback as possible before getting my 2010 Platinum, can't wait.
Don in Toronto

Old 03-18-2009, 07:27 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Good luck. I think the general consensus is that they are great trucks. At least that's my opinion anyways and the guys above that have responded to you have a wealth of firsthand knowledge with them. They won't steer you wrong. I think you'll be well pleased with the truck when you get it as I'm sure all of them have been. Be sure to post up some pics when you get it also!

Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 PM
dontrowell
Junior User
Good luck. I think the general consensus is that they are great trucks. At least that's my opinion anyways and the guys above that have responded to you have a wealth of firsthand knowledge with them. They won't steer you wrong. I think you'll be well pleased with the truck when you get it as I'm sure all of them have been. Be sure to post up some pics when you get it also!
Will do, thanks.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:43 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Originally Posted by dontrowell
I've been checking other forums & it would seem that since this is a new tranny people are getting alarmed at the downshifting, especially when at a good clip they take their foot of the gas & it immediatly downshifts, read of one guy that took his in three times, was told all times this is the way it is.
I had a GMC Sierra that had a real clunk from first to second when freewheeling, took it in numerous times, they even put in a new tranny to no avail, finally an exasperated sevice manager says this is the way it is just drive it , gave me 200k, no problem!!!!
I definitely wouldn't call the downshifts rough. It doesn't downshift until rpms slow to 700-800rpm, and then the rpms jump to 1100-1200 MAX in the next gear. I think some people have a harder time adjusting to an automatic that doesn't unlock the torque converter and free-wheel every time you let off the throttle. I have adjusted just fine.

Let me put it this way....the downshifts are smoother than 98% of manual drivers are with their downshifts.

Several of my family members have had GM trucks and all have had the clunky 1-2 shift you mentioned, and like yours, it didn't cause any problems. The 1-2 shift in the Ford 6 speed is pretty similar when cold, probably a little more firm. Once it warms up, or if the ambient air temperature is above 40 F (or so) it is smoother than the GM.