Old 03-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Presa C
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 Trouble Codes

I did a diagnostic with my evolution today and it showed 6 codes

P0472 Exhaust back Press. Sensor circuit low input

P0500 vehicle speed sensor (vss) malfunction

P0603 PCM processor keep alive memory error (KAM)

P0478 exhaust Press. control valve high input

P0340 cam position sensor circuit malfunction

P0470 exhaust back press. sensor circuit malfunction

Now i can read what these things say but don't understand what they mean.

Do i clear the codes and see if they come back?

Thank you

Old 03-17-2009, 07:27 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
VSS & Cam sensor are the 2 I would worry about. If the truck starts to hesitate, stumble, cough, or die, change the CPS. If the speedo quits working or starts acting weird, change the VSS. If the truck seems to be perfect, clear the codes and see if they come back. Luckily both of those sensors are in the $30 range, so at least it's an inexpensive fix.

As for the other codes. You will almost always see the 0603 KAM error with any truck that has a chip/tuner, or has had the batteries disconnected recently.

The EBP codes are not critical, but you can clean out the tube to help things. Here's a link with instructions on how to do that Welcome to guzzle's Exhaust Backpressure Sensor Cleaning Maintenance Web Page

Do you know how to change the CPS or VSS if that becomes necessary?

Welcome to FTE.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Presa C
New User
Thanks F350-6 No i do not know how to change them. The truck had a few repairs in the last months and i don't think anyone checked codes and the batteries and alternator were changed.

i'm gonna clear the codes and drive it and see what codes come back but can't hurt to change those sensors either way.

I am moving at the beginning of may from Montreal Quebec to Vancouver British Columbia 2700 miles or so and want to make sure the truck is tip top for the trek.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:50 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Didn't know you were Canadian. Add $5 or $10 to the cost to cover your parts then. If you replace the CPS, only get one from Ford or International. The ones from the parts stores seem more prone to failure. Carrying a spare CPS in your glove box is a good idea, so I'd suggest picking one up even if the code does not come back. Here's the link on how to change that. Welcome to guzzle's CPS R&R Web Page<

I don't have a link on the VSS, but it's even more simple. The VSS is located on top of the rear differential. Find the wires going on top of the rear diff, and you'll find the sensor. Clean any dirt from the surrounding area. Unplug the wire connector, remove the one bolt holding it in, and pull the VSS out. The VSS from the auto parts stores work fine, so no worries about picking one up from there.

Spend some time reading through the threads here and you'll know more about these trucks than you ever dreamed possible. And do be shy about jumping in on a thread and asking questions. We were all new once, but we're all here to learn.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Presa C
New User
Much appreciated F350-6, I will definately take your advice and get a spare CPS sensor and change the VSS aswell. I usually always get Ford replacement parts and change them myself. I checked the link you sent and will do that this week.

" We are all students and teachers in the school of life" Thanks for your help .