Transmission Swap :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:57 PM
deerjrky
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Swap :)

Ok, well it seems I lost my Tranny's For Dummies Book. And I am not th emost knowledgable perosn when it comes to Transmissions. After searching everywhere, Junk Yards, U-pull it yards and calling everywhere within a 100 mile radius, I can not find an Auto tranny for a 95 GT Mustang. Apparently they are specific model Trannies ( 94 and 95 ) Ok, will an Auto Tranny from a 3.8 Mustang fit it? I HAVE TO ASK. Any help would be appreciated, even if it is only a big "NO" reply, it will satisfy my need to know. I was wondering because i can get a 96 3.8 mustang ( Complete ) for $300.00 . Thanks

Old 03-16-2009, 10:58 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no idea.
You might try asking in the Transmission forum here at FTE.
Somebody there might know.

Thanks.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It should be either an AOD-E or a 4R70W that is in your mustang now. Leaning towards an AOD-E.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 AM
benshere
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The question about the 3.8 tranny being the same as a 4.6/5.0 has been asked many times at the supercoupe sites. Particularly for the 3.8 supercharged engines. The answer is it almost the same. I think that the only difference is 1 clutch disc less for the NA 3.8. in one of the "clutch" packs.

Apparently one of the best differences is that the supercoupes have the "A" servo, where most others have the "B" servo, which does not apply the OD band as hard. I dont think the GT's have the "A" servo, but it can be added. I also think that the tranny is a 4R70W, which is a later tranny than the AODE and has a 2.84 low gear ratio instead of the 2.42 of most all fords other trannys (except for the E4OD).

Better do some "surfin" My stuff may be a little old