Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

what dose everyone do for a living?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:54 PM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harleyjohn45
Gun business should be booming. Ammo is up 200% since December. When I got out of college in 1959 and was armed with a degree in math, I got a job at Martin co. in orlando as a junior engineer. I later spent 1.5 years with RCA at PAFB in Cocoa, Beach and then in 1963 I took a job with NASA at the Air Force Test Range. Retired in 1993. In 1971, I got permission from NASA to open a small retail gunshop and in 1974 we added a pawnshop license. My wife ran the business for 34 years and sold it in 2005. Pawn broking is a lot of fun so we have fond memories.
Yeah, if I'da known Obama was gonna be such a good gun sales man I might have voted for him............well maybe not.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:06 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by George D.
I'm also waiting to hear back from the doctor so I can get a new job as a United States Marine. Hopefully I will hear back from them by tomarow so I can go to MEPS thursday.

Good luck with the new job and thanks from all of us.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:09 PM
George D.
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the suport starmilt.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:43 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Only the things I have not tried yet.

Secret, If a person really sets their mind to it, and are willing to study and practice plus give it 123% effort, you can do almost anything you want to.

I have enough different stuff I have done over the years that I believe I could show up almost anywhere tomorrow and have a job doing something before next week was over.

Half the jobs I have had over the years when I talked to the person doing the hiring I had the job right after I said I was from WV.

75% of the people here have been doing so much for so long with so little, most of us are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Employers like that in a person.
Plus if it breaks, we can usually figure out how to make it work again.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:25 AM
Lead_Pusher
Senior User
HarleyJohn-
What gun / pawn shop did you own? I grew up in Melbourne. My Grandfather retired from NASA right before the Challenger incident, and to top it all off I work for Martin Co. Sheriff's Office. What a small world....

Old 03-17-2009, 05:04 AM
adamdh1
New User
I was in the Marines, now I'm an electronics technician in a semiconductor fab that makes flash memory. Semper Fi.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:56 PM
tbone91
Elder User
You guys make me jealous (except the ones currently out of work). 100% support for our troops, you rock!

Currently working for Pioneer Electronics writing software for Bluray players. The only things I've ever really made money at were writing software and designing electronics. The money is really good, but it's easy to lose touch with the real world out there.

Wish I could be out working on my truck, framing, wiring, plumbing, digging, pouring, laying, installing ... something -- at least when the weather is good

Always wanted to learn how to weld...

Old 03-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tbone91
The money is really good, but it's easy to lose touch with the real world out there.
Amen!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 03-17-2009, 04:18 PM
harleyjohn45
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lead_Pusher
HarleyJohn-
What gun / pawn shop did you own? I grew up in Melbourne. My Grandfather retired from NASA right before the Challenger incident, and to top it all off I work for Martin Co. Sheriff's Office. What a small world....
The pawnshop is the Florida Cracker Pawn Shop (I know, a horrible name) it was purchased by two young fellows who worked for us 18 years. I should have known your grandpa, At the time of the challenger incident, I was working in the launch control complex. I did not work for Martin County, I worked for Martin Company in Orlando, Fl. They are an areospace company and I worked on the pershing missile project. I agree its a small world and no matter where I go I always see people I know.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:27 PM
harleyjohn45
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dodge/Cummins
Yeah, if I'da known Obama was gonna be such a good gun sales man I might have voted for him............well maybe not.
No matter who is in power, I think firearms are the best investment in the world. I know of no other product that has higher resale than firearms. Since Walmart has stopped selling firearms and ammo, the privately owned stores will be able to make some money. The chains were buying direct and could sell ammo cheaper that a distributor would sell to me.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:34 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Wallmart here still sell guns and ammo just not pistols.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:44 AM
harleyjohn45
Senior User
Originally Posted by starmilt
Wallmart here still sell guns and ammo just not pistols.
Maybe you know something I don't know, but the walmart stores in our area are totally out of ammo and have had no weapons for a year. I wanted a couple more bricks of 22 and the clerk said they weren't getting any more. They have a decent selection of air rifles now, some of the 22 cal. are reaching 1000 fps. thats close to the velocity of a standard 22 LR.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:13 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Well I better check then as I don't do wallmart here often I actually don't like them I know it is business but wallmart has run many of good businesses out of business including gunshops and here in alaska we have fred meyers that has everything wallmarts do anyway. When I am in nm we shop in amarillo and its only been a couple months ago I bought a brick of 22 shells and they still had the 2 display cases one shotguns and one rifles. At home many of the good gun shops stock pistols and used rifles but will only order rifles for you because they can't afford to tie their money up and compete with WM.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
The Wal-Mart here still has long guns and ammo. They are seeing the same suppply problems, maybe worse, that everyone else is though and they don't have much ammo left. People are scared of what the gov't is going to do to their gunrights and they are hoarding stuff.
I think it's a lot to do about nothing as the gun control meqasures are going nowhere in congress. That could change in the blink of an eye though.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:58 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
That may be just a florida deal.

Quick Reply: what dose everyone do for a living?