Notices

Is there any point?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Extacie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any point?

In adding stuff to a 2wd half ton truck? I was looking at a 2wd 93 F150 with a 350 in it and it has been taking real good care of n is pretty cheap, but is there any point in adding mud tires and exhaust and other performance parts to it for looks/sound/power/mudding or not really? I was trying to decide if I should make an offer on the truck or wait till I find a decent 4 wheel in my price range. Any help is greatly appriceated.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Mawk
Senior User
It depends on you.
What are you going to use the truck for?

I wouldn't purchase mud tires for a 2wd, because you'll only be able to splash a few small puddles, otherwise the front tires will slow you down in good mud, essentially becoming plows. Mud tires will give you an awesome looks, but you won't have much capabilities of doing so.

Looks, sound, power, always. Not everything out there will help you achieve what you're looking for, some are superior in one area, inferior in another. A nice exhaust is to be appreciated on any truck. And power is always nice.

BUT if you're planning on wanting a 4x4, wait for it. Spending that money on a 4x2, dropping a few grand into suspension and performance, as well as tires, only to realize it's not going to do what you want is a waste of money.

If you only plan on towing toys (track bikes, dirt bikes, atv's etc.) and aren't going to see much more off-road than a few dirt driveways, then this could be a good choice for you.

So back to the question at hand, what's the truck going to be used for?
What's the most extreme you're wanting to do (reasonable extreme)?
What kind of daily action do you need it for in the winter?
What about weekends?
THose are a few questions to help find the right performer for you.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Extacie
Senior User
So back to the question at hand, what's the truck going to be used for?
-It is going to be used for getting me to school/work and wherever else I need to be, and it will also be used for mudding and just having fun in.

What's the most extreme you're wanting to do (reasonable extreme)?
-Just go mudding when bored type of thing. Not racing in the mud or anything anywhere near that, just mudding through friends fields ect ect and depending on wat truck i get making it look better like adding mud tires possibly or at least bigger tires and a lift n dif exhaust ect.

What kind of daily action do you need it for in the winter?
-In the winter just getting me to n from school/work/wherever I need to be.

What about weekends?
-The same as the above, but that is when I actually generally am "mudding" or just going to bon fires to hang out.
THose are a few questions to help find the right performer for you.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:48 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I did and the work was fun to do. The tires I picked were more for sand and I didn't get stuck in sand. I did get stuck in everything else though. The right tires will make a big difference in how it will handle mud, I would use something with a lot of grip and fairly wide in the back and a skinny, smooth tire up front. Grips up front will plow and make mudding more difficult, skinny smooth tires will have the pie plate effect and offer decent steering without pushing a mound infront.

My 2wd was a 89 long bed F150 with the 300I6 and 4spd granny low. With the 31/13.50 mickey thompsons and 3.55 gears, it was quick on the street. I could take most imports off the light with ease.

For the fun of modding, I put on a cold air intake, some exhaust work, gears, MSD ignition, and some other bolt ons. Then I did a couple of different bed covers, tool box, stereo system, interior.

I would recommend a good rope and a friend with a truck or tractor handy, but I would like either with my 4wd as well.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Mawk
Senior User
Safe to assume you won't be doing any of those shennanigans without another capable vehicle with proper recovery tools?

Old 04-29-2009, 06:09 AM
dixiemudder04
Elder User
Just wait for a 4x4. I drove my 2wd out in a field to get my deer feeder. I hit a soft spot buried it to the rear axle. I had all terrains under it. Plus I always played in the mud with my 4x4. IMO I think putting a lift, m/t's or any kind of suspension mods are pointless on a 2wd. And from my experience once you hit one mud hole you gotta hit em all. They just get deeper and sloppier.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:46 AM
fireball 440
Elder User
Mudding with 2WD trucks is for high school kids who think they're cool, but really aren't. I've been there and had my cooler friends with 4x4's pulling me out left and right. Mine was a 1980 F-150 300 I-6 4spd. It sure was fun, but I'd never do it again.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:45 PM
racerx6466
Senior User
For what you're planning on doing with the truck a 2 wheel drive would be fine. Throw a small lift on it (Suspension), some 33 inch all terrains and a locker or a limited slip and appropriate gears for whatever size tires you go with. Pushing both tires in the rear will make it a pretty capable truck and the 351 is a good engine. Unless you plan on getting into some pretty hairy or deep S*%t the 4x4 would be overkill going off of your intentions

Old 05-28-2009, 03:33 PM
DonMajikJuan
New User
I think a 2WD will do the trick for you for the purposes you need it. If you add some aftermarket truck accessories, then you should definitely be good to go. Plus you can always resell the 2WD if you end up getting more money for a newer 4WD. Best of luck, post a picture up of whatever truck you end up getting.