Rear fender bodywork

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 03:17 PM
CathyC
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear fender bodywork

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 15-Oct-01 AT 04:45 PM (EST)[/font][p]I am making an offer on a 1994 F350 SLT CrewCab 2WD with dual rear wheels. Both rear fenders that extend out over the dual rear wheels have been cracked/dented. Each fender has a damaged area that is about 3-4 inches. Can anyone give me a rough idea what this kind of bodywork would cost. Are we talking $300 or $3000? They aren't noticeable until you are up close and I could live with the damage - just wondering how much it would cost if I wanted the truck to look "perfect" again. I guess the entire quarter panel would be repainted after the repair - do you think they would replace the entire fender and repaint?

Old 10-15-2001, 06:25 PM
Hausladen
Senior User
Rear fender bodywork

Can you do the work yourself.

Old 10-15-2001, 07:06 PM
CathyC
New User
Rear fender bodywork

No - I guess I should have been more clear. I was wondering what a good body shop would charge for quality work. I guess the fiberglass fenders are repairable and therefore would not be replaced? I would rather just live with the cracks than have a poor repair job so I was just curious what a reputable body shop would charge. If I do go ahead and purchase the truck I will get an estimate but I was hoping for a ballpark figure before then.

Old 10-20-2001, 01:43 AM
rtwardle
Junior User
Rear fender bodywork

The fibreglass fenders are an easy repair. I have repaired them before on a flare side. The cracks are from rocks shooting up fracturing the fibreglass and then the paint. You need to grind down into the fractured glass then apply a short strand fibreglass filler. This is not an extensive repair. The tops probably need most of the work. I would suggest 3.5 to 4.5 hours per side. This would be body work only. I believe paint is around 1 hour per fender. So, say 10 hours body work plus 2 hours paint. Call some shops and ask them what the shop rate is for painting and body work repair. Then do the math.
Russ

Old 10-20-2001, 03:29 AM
elsmith
Senior User
Rear fender bodywork