CCV Mod with pipe from Turbo to Intake Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:12 AM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
I am glad
Are you sure it is legal for you to make and sell this part? I guess I thought that it was a no no to sell stuff that got rid of emission components. Then again, "mine would be for off highway use only."

With that said, I have been looking for someone who can bend 4" locally so I can get one made. If you had one, I wouldn't have to look anymore!

Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by sflem849
Are you sure it is legal for you to make and sell this part? I guess I thought that it was a no no to sell stuff that got rid of emission components. Then again, "mine would be for off highway use only."

With that said, I have been looking for someone who can bend 4" locally so I can get one made. If you had one, I wouldn't have to look anymore!
Should be an issue since the it is still just a CCV kit and they have been on the market for some time. Check in with me next week and hopefully I will have found some to get it started.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:06 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
I'd be interested for sure... in fact I'm planning on doing this myself, but only running pipe to where the factory CCV ends and keeping the rubber piece that connects to the turbo. You are probably going to want a mount of some sort to keep things in place... it would not be good to have the thing jump off at the turbo or something like that!

Old 03-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
I'd be interested for sure... in fact I'm planning on doing this myself, but only running pipe to where the factory CCV ends and keeping the rubber piece that connects to the turbo. You are probably going to want a mount of some sort to keep things in place... it would not be good to have the thing jump off at the turbo or something like that!
Yeah, and after I saw your post I got to thinking maybe I was mis-understood. I only plan on running close to the turbo and then using a boot. Not metal all the way, that wouldn't be a good idea for many reasons.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
Yeah, and after I saw your post I got to thinking maybe I was mis-understood. I only plan on running close to the turbo and then using a boot. Not metal all the way, that wouldn't be a good idea for many reasons.
Clay- I vote for KISS... run a piece of metal tubing to where the factory CCV ends. Takes less bending (which means less $) plus it works for everyone. Those that have a larger comp. housing will already have the rubber adapter they need, those running a stock housing can use the stocker.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:57 AM
indebt
Posting Guru
Clay- I vote for KISS... run a piece of metal tubing to where the factory CCV ends. Takes less bending (which means less $) plus it works for everyone. Those that have a larger comp. housing will already have the rubber adapter they need, those running a stock housing can use the stocker.
I like this Idea alot, especially since I have the 4" ATS adapter.....

Old 03-10-2009, 11:24 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Plus this still provides a support for the intake. I do a lot of off-roading and had a K&N FIPK II on my old gasser 5.4L F-150. It only had 1 bracket to support the entire tube and filter up to the throttlebody. The tube kept working loose and popping off all the time (I finally had to fabricate another support for the filter). Since then I'm all about support!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:46 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by brian42
Plus this still provides a support for the intake. I do a lot of off-roading and had a K&N FIPK II on my old gasser 5.4L F-150. It only had 1 bracket to support the entire tube and filter up to the throttlebody. The tube kept working loose and popping off all the time (I finally had to fabricate another support for the filter). Since then I'm all about support!
You'd still have to support the metal tube in some way- held up at the filter end, brackets bolted to something etc. or you risk the weight of everything popping the rubber intake off the turbo.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:39 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
I've got a small block of wood that I'm going to shape to size to support the collar of the filter where it connects to the intake tube. Once that's sized right I'm going to bolt it to what's left of the lower airbox where the air channel is coming from the grill (where I put the zoodad). I'm then going to use some velcro straps to hold the filter to the brace and I should be good to go.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:54 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by sflem849

you mean like these?
http://store.airflo.com/exhaust-elbows.html

Old 03-10-2009, 04:14 PM
sideshow
Elder User
something like this

i used the last piece of my old 4" exhaust (the section that went over the axle) for mine. i cleaned it up real good, and threw on a little paint. it is approximately a 45 bend. the large zip tie is there to actually secure it around the brake fluid reservoir and keep it from wiggling around and mucking up the paint. i figured i had the pipe, paint and time, so it was a freebie.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:19 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
you mean like these?

Exhaust Elbows
The link isn't working for me, but I do remember "one of the regulars" posting a site that just had 4" elbows and wyes etc.

BTW, I forgot to chime in. I would like to use the support that the old ccv did. I would also like to ditch the slinky hose. It just seems like it would be better to have a big, smooth tube going straight in the turbo. That way my Vornado will work better
The way I look at it is if I am going to buy a professional product I want it to be better than a DIY kit.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:09 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
click on it where you quoted me in the last post.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:55 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
click on it where you quoted me in the last post.
That works a lot better! It was just kicking me to DI or some hot word ad place before. I thought something was fishy bc it underlined both words when I quoted you and only one in the OP.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:06 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sideshow
something like this

i used the last piece of my old 4" exhaust (the section that went over the axle) for mine. i cleaned it up real good, and threw on a little paint. it is approximately a 45 bend. the large zip tie is there to actually secure it around the brake fluid reservoir and keep it from wiggling around and mucking up the paint. i figured i had the pipe, paint and time, so it was a freebie.
I like how that looks Kevin.Was thinking of doing the same thing myself.

Quick Reply: CCV Mod with pipe from Turbo to Intake Filter