Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 892504x4

March All Topic, All Welcome Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 01:16 PM
kjvforme
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just picked up a battery last week at Costco and man was that a good deal. 100 month battery for 59.99, 3 year replacement, with after 3 years it's pro-rated for replacement. I looked at Walmart and they didn't even come close to that deal. Think about them next time you need a battery.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:59 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
i buy napa orbital batteries they have better warranty but alittle more spendy ..
the first one i bought was back in 1999 and its still going strong! i have had that same old battery in my stock car and race with it. now its in my shadow that i bought.
last year i bought another one and its in my ranger. thats the way to go i think. for the money... if you get 10 years out of a battery thats really good.. and i'm not kidding either.
and you can mount them upside down if you want... they don't leak either...
the one i have in my shadow has 6 posts on it, the new one i bought for the ranger only has 4 posts on it.... they're gelcell bateries! they run about 130$ w/a core.
but you can't beat'em...

Old 03-13-2009, 07:38 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kjvforme
Do you have any pictures of the back motor mounts? What type of tri-power does the engine have on it? Looks like you guys are doing it right the first time. Is it going to be lowered?

I put Mobil 1 in my Jetta TDI, and the Dodge gets what the dealership gives it. The others get a mix, but with what I've found in the Olds I think i'm switching to Delco all the way. Visited a website last night where they were talking about sludge buildup. The said you could run the high detergent diesel oil in a gasser for about 500 miles, before needing change. I'm thinking about doing it as a flush on this engine, of course after I scrape out what I can. The valve guide seals were in in chunks inside the springs.

With the geographinc isolation of the area that we live in I'm glad I went into the engine. Sure enough I would have been half way between Mount Vernon and Bend and she would have gone out on me.
I'll take some pics of the rear mounts tomorrow. It has a 312Ci Y-block with a polished "offie" manifold, and polished carbs. We stripped the frame, filled all the unused holes, and "boxed" the whole frame from the cab forward. Spent over 200 hours on the frame alone! We drilled the straight Axel, and it will go out to be chromed this spring. We bought "mono leaf" springs for the front and rear. Lowered it about 4". We should finish the body work and have it in final paint this summer.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:12 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
you'll never believe who stopped by betha66 that was cool!!! talking face to face with allen was a treat... i'm excited about that, what a nice person.. so so cool!!

Old 03-13-2009, 10:01 PM
kjvforme
Postmaster
Don, I'm new to the older Ford market, I didn't know the made a 312 all my books are 1964 and newer. When did they make that block, and was it factory for 61?

Old 03-13-2009, 10:31 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kjvforme
Don, I'm new to the older Ford market, I didn't know the made a 312 all my books are 1964 and newer. When did they make that block, and was it factory for 61?
The 312 was never used in trucks. This engine started out as a 57 Police Interceptor. We junked the block, and just kept the crank and rods. 312 crank main journals are larger than the rest of the Y-blocks so you can't put one in a 272 or a 292. UNLESS..........You do what I did!

I had my crank grinder grind the crank mains to the smaller 292 journal size. It's an old hot rodder trick I learned years ago. The 312 blocks are actually weaker in the main bearing area because Ford used the same basic block, but moved the main bearing cap bolts further to the outside for the bigger crank journals. This made the bearing caps prone to breaking under higher stress loads. Buy using a reground 312 crank in a 292 block it makes the bottom end just about bullet proof!

The block was sonic tested, magnafluxed, line-bored, decked, and the whole block had all casting flash removed, and was shot peened for stress relief. I have a friend that does balancing, so we had the whole rotating assembly balanced also. she runs sweeeeet!!

Old 03-13-2009, 11:18 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
67 degrees over here, spring has sprung?.........Lots of rain predicted for the wknd. and next week, Hows the dryside doing?

Old 03-14-2009, 12:04 AM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
i met betha66 this afternoon so so cool...

Old 03-14-2009, 02:02 AM
1984 f-250
Senior User
i like the recession because i was able to talk down the price on new 31x10.5x15 tires.
Anyone else got any type of deals lately??

Old 03-14-2009, 11:12 AM
kjvforme
Postmaster
Where did you go to get thr price knocked off? It must be getting pretty bad when the tire companies are willing to negotiate a deal. Did you make them an offer they can't refuse.

When are they going to get real and start using the right word "depression", come on when the big three are asking for a hand out because no ones buying their cars and trucks and unemployment is on the rise. I talked to a guy a couple of days back who had a 401K that is doing nothing but dropping not growing. He said that he would have to work to 65 insted of retiring early like he wanted to do. Sign of the times, look in the retail stores and fast food and see the elderly working because of losses on investments.

What I cant figure out is, if the economy is doing so bad why is the price of fuel still up?

Ok stepping of the soap box.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:18 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
i haven't had any good deals yet. usually when i go to buy something the price doubles.
Don, i had a 61 galaxi that had a 292 3spd on the tree or column. that was a good motor. if i remember right that engine had that exhaust tube that crossed over on the front top of the engine.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:38 PM
1984 f-250
Senior User
i agree that now is not the best time to be spending money. i have to have two jobs to pay the bills. the tires were from beggs tires in albany/corvallis and they match tireracks prices.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:07 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
no its the not the best time to spend money!! and jobs are harder to come by these days. you can be certified in everything and nobody is hiring...

Old 03-14-2009, 04:20 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Actually this is a very good time to buy! IF you have the cash, and don't borrow the money. There are a lot of good deals out there. I just made a deal today on a $5,000 ultralite airplane for $1,500. The guy lost his job a couple of weeks ago, and couldn't find anybody to buy it............Three months ago I bought a foreclosed home for my daughter and son-in-law that was listed for $189,000. I paid $82,000 cash for it.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:38 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
i have 2 race cars i couldn't give away!!

Quick Reply: March All Topic, All Welcome Thread