Sponsored by:

Finally Have an X

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 11:37 PM
arhuranna
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally Have an X

I've been looking for a while and finally found an 01 Excursion XLT 4x4 with 70,000 miles. It's in great shape and is all stock. First order of business is new shocks and the lift gate needs new struts. Drove it around 400 miles home and not much in the way of a wandering problem. I have a 6500 lb. travel trailer theat I will pull 2-3 times a year, are the Bilsteins overkill for this? They have a buy 3 get one free promo going now. I thought I would get the lift gate struts at the local auto parts shop unless there are better recomendations. This site has been a great help in learning about the X and I will continue to plow through the search option.

Regards,

Mitch

Old 03-01-2009, 01:23 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The bilsteins arent a waste of money. Their good shocks and many ppl on here like them. BTW what engine is in the x?

Old 03-01-2009, 05:30 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Mitch,

I'll second that Bilsteins are a great way to go. I installed a set on mine and have been very happy with the towing performance since I did. Much less noticable bounce after hitting bumps or rough roads. The OEM shocks would allow 2-3 bounces and the Bilsteins dampen out after just one...so the family is much happier inside.

I tow a 9000# TT with 1100-1200#'s of tongue weight and couldn't be happier with the towing performance of the Ex.

One thing you should check is whether your Ex has a rear sway bar. If you have the telescoping towing mirrors you likely do...but some earlier models didn't always come equipped that way. Poke your head under the rear of your Ex and take a look. If you don't and you plan to tow...the single best mod you can do for yourself while doing the shocks is to install a rear Hellwig sway bar. You will already be unbolting the shocks and this is a great time to do that mod too. I posted a 20% off coupon code for JCWhitney in this forum that expires tomorrow and they carry the Hellwig. Just a thought since it really helps reduce body roll when hitched to a trailer or not.

Finally on the rear struts. Many on here that have 4x4's and are taller individuals have actually installed the 4x2 hatch struts and have gained about 4" of added lift on the rear hatch...if you need extra clearance back there...do a search for rear lift struts to read all about it.

Good luck and congrats on the new to you Ex!

Joe.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:17 AM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Lets make it three in a row, the Bilsteins are great shocks and by no means are overkill but are a good quality shock. It's a good idea to replace those lift gate struts, there have been a few here who have shattered the rear glass due to bad struts. Good luck and welcome.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:18 AM
arhuranna
Junior User
Thanks for the replies,

the Ex is a V-10 and I'm very pleased with it. I looked for a PSD but all the ones I looked at were junked out on the interior and had no modifications done on them and they were still 4-5,000.00 more than mine. Not trying to start another debate. Had to drive 6 hours to get this one. The back struts are shot. They won't hold the back glass up at all. I plan to replace them first thing. I will get them at NAPA unless there are better struts to be had? I'm going to take advantage of the 20% at J.C. Whitney and get the sway bar also. After these mods and working over the stero I'm just going to drive it for awhile and see how she handles, then go from there. Again, thanks for the help. I'm sure I will have lots more questions.

Regards,

Mitch

Old 03-01-2009, 10:02 AM
bigdaddymedic2000
Senior User
welcome to the club. the lift gate struts is an easy fix, i should have gotten the 4x2's (i did not know at the time), after i replaced the dirty air filer, changed to synthetic oil and inflated all of the tires to the proper psi ( none of my tires had the same psi, one had about 20-25 psi), i saw a good increase in mpg. the EX is a towing beast.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:08 AM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
yep you are about right on the price difference. KBB, NADA etc. will show about a 4k difference between identical spec diesel vs gas engine...

Old 03-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
+1 to the Bilsteins, I love mine. I ordered my rear lift gate struts from Napa by the way. Welcome to the club man!

Old 03-01-2009, 02:45 PM
arhuranna
Junior User
Do most of you run the synthetic motor oil in the V-10's ? Have decided to get the bilsteins. They are on sale buy 3 get one free so hope to get those on the way this week. All and all I am very pleased with the new ride. Planning on a roadtrip for springbreak.

Mitch

Old 03-01-2009, 03:22 PM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by arhuranna
Do most of you run the synthetic motor oil in the V-10's ? Have decided to get the bilsteins.

Mitch

I run Mobil 1 full synthetic and have always had good results. Good choice on the Bilsteins you will not be disappointed.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:33 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by arhuranna
Do most of you run the synthetic motor oil in the V-10's ? Have decided to get the bilsteins. They are on sale buy 3 get one free so hope to get those on the way this week. All and all I am very pleased with the new ride. Planning on a roadtrip for springbreak.

Mitch
I use royal purple syn 5w20

Old 03-01-2009, 03:33 PM
arhuranna
Junior User
Just placed my order for the Bilsteins from shockwarehouse.com for $204.42 with free shipping. Now to get the sway bar on the way.

Mitch

Old 03-01-2009, 03:36 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
What brand sway bar are you going to get?

Old 03-01-2009, 04:14 PM
arhuranna
Junior User
I just ordered the Hellwig rear anti-sway bar from J.C. Whitney for $194.99 including shipping. Feel good about getting both the shocks and the sway bar ordered today. Hope both come in about the same time and will get busy putting it together. as soon as it warms up a little I will hook up the camper and take the maiden voyage.

Regards,

Mitch

Old 03-01-2009, 04:33 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Mitch,

Congrats...you won't be disappointed in either of these modifications...

Installation wise you are doing it in the right sequence...installation of the Hellwig will go much smoother with the shocks REMOVED from the lower brackets...at least in my experience...

Last question would be how have you actually set up the WD on your hitch?

Here's a great tutorial for you to follow. Print it out and read it over...it will walk you thru proper WD hitch setup which is critical for stress free towing...let me know if you have any questions.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Travel Trailer Hitch Set-up Procedure

Good luck,
joe.

Quick Reply: Finally Have an X