6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

FIX ANY 6.OL LEAK By Wyatt66f100

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 01:17 PM
erniek70
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
crank & cam sensor are under the head....are they on the front/side/rear of the engine?

Old 09-08-2010, 04:50 PM
erniek70
Mountain Pass
crank & cam sensor location?

Originally Posted by Wyatt66f100
Ok so im gunna blow your mind on this one.

1. to check a oil leak properly you should think about wind. its the most importaint thing. drips near the rear engine and trans could actually come from the front of the engine and the oil just ran backwords during driving.
heres a list of all "usual" oil leaks on a 6.0L and a short bit on how to identify them.

A. Crank Sensor- crank sensors are located on the passenger side of the engine under the head. if you look under your truck it should be right there, a two wire variable reluctance sensor. if it is leaking it will look wet and sticky. in order to fix this you have to pull the 8mm bolt on it and pop it out. DONT pull on the wires with the connector still connected. the sensor has one o ring on it that should be torn or worn away if it is leaking.

B. Cam Sensor- basically the same at the crank sensor but on the exact opposite side of the engine. (drivers side). this one is a pain in the *** if your new at it. its about five inches long when you remove it out of the hole in the block so it hits stuff on the way out. but this one is identified the same way and has two o rings instead of one.

C. CAC Tube Adaptors (Charged Air Cooler)- these are all the blue tubes going to your turbo and the air cooler and the intake manifold. there is a total of four of them. One is an elbow going to your turbo, the second one is the one that goes to your intake manifold from the tube that comes from the drivers side. third is the one between the air cooler and the drivers side CAC Tube, located down a bit from your air box. and the fourth one is on the exact opposite side from the third, follow the tube from your turbo and you will find it. the way you check these is you put a glove on and run your hand uder them and look at your hand. if there is oil on your had then its time for new CAC Tube Adaptors.

D. Rear Main seal- for the sake of conversation im not going to tell you how to replace this cause it invloves removing your tranny and i dont really wnat to go through that. but you pull the plastic cover out from your tranny where you saw oil drips and you look at the seal on the rear of the crank shaft. if it looks wet then its time to replace it. also if it has a trail of oil down to the plastic cover you removed then its time to replace it.

E. Front crank seal- again i wont tell you how to replace this cause it involves removing the rediator, fan clutch, and other things. but look at your crankshaft dampener while under your truck. if it is wet inside with oil then its time to replace your front crankshaft seal.

F. The all mighty BEDPLATE- this one is a little harder to identify. first fix all the other oil leaks or at least wash them off. then buy a oil dye addative from your ford store (to avoid warrenty coverage problems). then drive it and look for oil dye with a black light. OR if you didnt use dye try this: clean it all up so you cant see a drop of oil on your underside engine anywhere then drive it for about two days. then have a look under again. if it is a bedplate there should be an oil streak coming from where the bedplate meets the engine block. if you look at the bottom of your engine in terms of layers then you should be able to see the bedplate even if your a noobie.

G. Glow Plug Harnesses- these are easy look though your fender well or from under your truck and look at your glow plug harnesses. if they look wet then they need to be replaced.

ONE BIG THING TO KEEP IN MIND- often times crank and cam sensor leaks are thought as bed plate leaks because if a leak is coming from your sensors then the wind takes the oil right across where the bedplate is. same with front crank seal, the oil runs to the back of the engine along the bed plate. so often times you may have a crank, cam, or front seal leak and the bedplate will still be saturated with oil.

congradulations your a oil leak champion now.

any questions a would be happy to answer in this thread or a private message. also i can elaborate on how to do a front crank seal or rear main seal if any one asks.

where can I find the crank & cam sensor?

How do I find the glow plug harnesses? Do I have to remove the inner fender liner?

Old 09-08-2010, 06:48 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
please look in the tech folder

Old 09-09-2010, 05:13 AM
erniek70
Mountain Pass
i looked in "Tech Guids" and found nothing. I found a camshaft sensor pic, but it was already out of the engine. I could not find anything that shows the location of the sensors on the engine. Are they on the front of the block? Rear? Side? How far up the block?

Old 09-09-2010, 07:50 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,508 Likes on 1,743 Posts
Old 09-14-2010, 08:23 AM
erniek70
Mountain Pass
still can't trace down my leak(s). Can on engine overfilled with oil cause more than Normal oil to go into the CAC pipes? If so, could this be the source of my leak(s)? There seems to be oil everywhere at the front of the engine. It just seems like there might be too much oil. On the dipstick, it might be 3/8 past "max". I'm not certain (the dipstick is not intuitive). There is oil on the word "max", and goes all the waty to the end of the palstic, where the wire starts. It's 3/8" past the XXXXXX marking. Is this overfuilled? If so, is this the source of my problem? Is this causing oil to leak out of my engine? Is the leak coming from the CAC hoses (looks like it)? Can i jsut drain out some oil, and it will fix itslef (after I clean out the pipes)? Permanent damage caused?

Last edited by erniek70; 09-14-2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added more detail
Old 04-27-2011, 05:33 AM
sjstrait
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im new to this forum. looking for info on 6.0 oil pans mine is getting ready to leak where should i be looking for replacement and tips on keeping this from happening again. expensive repair.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:18 PM
okla_06psd
New User
My truck is leaking oil from the top of the engin near the intake. I noticed a sensor that has a little hole or plug filled with oil in it????? Sits right on the intake. Any suggestions on what that might be. It has four star shaped bolts....

Old 05-03-2011, 03:38 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's your mass air flow sensor. I don't know why there would be any oil there though?

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-03-2011, 05:27 PM
okla_06psd
New User
Ok thanks. Maybe i should just take it to the shop. Just got my truck and im clueless with diesel. The blue boots have oil around them, but i doubt that much oil is leaking through them.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:38 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They maybe leaking under boost. I would remove them and clean them real good. Spary some hairspray on them before you reinstall them to be sure they won't cone back off.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:00 PM
BIG POPPA 5
Junior User
hey guy's been reading in this thread about oil leaks and i believe the old saying is right, A little info can make you dangerous! anyhow i have 2004 F350 CC LWB and u guessed it i have an oil leak had a leak from oil cooler a year or so ago and had it REPAIRED at the dealer (not replaced) and now it's back. was lookin at the replacement coolers w/ the EGR Delete kit, my question is why would i want to delete that? what bennies are there? thanx

Old 05-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,405 Likes on 2,098 Posts
Welcome to FTE BIG POPPA 5 Make sure you do not have to pass emission inspections before going any further. Recycling exhaust back into the intake causes carbon build up in the intake itself.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:48 PM
BIG POPPA 5
Junior User
THX FOR REPLING BUT I HAVEN'T DECIDED TO DO IT YET NOT SURE OF BENIFITS OF DOING SO. AND NO, NO WORRIES ABOUT EMISSIONS

Old 06-05-2012, 03:26 PM
greeneggsandham
New User
Hi Wyatt,

If I have a bad O ring/leak in my HPOP is this a repair that the average shade tree mechanic could take on, or would it be best to have a certified mechanic do the work? I am an average mechanic when it comes to gas vehicles, but I've never even changed my own oil on the power stroke!

Quick Reply: FIX ANY 6.OL LEAK By Wyatt66f100