1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS in these trucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:36 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GPS in these trucks

Anyone have a GPS in there trucks. Looks like a neat device to find locations. Do you guys like them?. Any particular brands you prefer? Thanks guys for the help.

JOEL 2003 REG CAB 4 x4

Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 AM
dadsgreenpsd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a tomtom one. They run about $130 at wally world. It is not the fanciest, and you can't look up business names like my daughters gps (I can't remember the brand she has), but I don't hesitate to go anywhere with it. If I am looking for a particular business, I stop at a convenience store, and usually the clerk will give me the address to punch in. It is a little lacking on the back roads in georgia however. It sent me down a dead-end road one night after visiting an atv park. I am just glad I didn't have the toybox behind me that night.....

I created a mount out of a peice of aluminum, and mounted it to the top of the cubby, so the gps is just to the left of the heat controls. I will try to get a pic of it later on today.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:08 AM
Downriver Thunder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one, Garmin Nuvi 750, on my windshield. I have had GPS for years and won't go without one.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:21 AM
smithrngr
Senior User
i have asony nav-u set up and i love it, it is mounted on my dash right above my radio on the top by the mount it came with.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:48 AM
MassSupra
Senior User
I have a Tomtom XL in the truck, and a tomtom one in my car. I don't need it that often, but it's a great thing to have when I do need it, You can enter points of interest, restaurants, businesses, rest areas with bathrooms, etc. It saves past destinations and learns the towns and areas you most often type in which makes quick changes while driving easy. I'll turn it on while just cruising or at night just to see which way the roads turning before I even get to it. Supposedly the only difference between the one and xl is a wider screen, and my XL is supposed to say street names, not just display them on the screen, but the voice's really annoy me, it's almost always muted.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Dsl Lover
Senior User
I've got a TomTom 920 (Fancy one) and love it! The Tom Toms have cotinuous updates & corrections from other users and actually recommend updating monthly.

Tom Tom offers great customer service (from experience) and if you buy one, and they update their major map within the warranty period, you can update to that map for free (I did this). When it is time to replace the map in your GPS, they have self installing, easily downloadable maps on their website for around $100. I bought my unit remanufactured, so I saved half over the cost of a new one.

I really enjoyed this on a recent trip to Florida. It was awesome to go exploring in an unfamiliar area without regard to directions, and then select your hotel, receiving instant instructions back.
My unit also stores and displays (can even do a slide show) digital photos, and can also be used as an FM broadcasting MP3 player - like a jukebox for your car - using your car's FM tuner. In addition to that, it is also a Hands free bluetooth device - I can make calls through it using the bluetooth connectivity of my cell phone.

I also LOVE the bluetooth remote as it makes it MUCH easier than my big fingers trying to push buttons in a bouncing truck.

When I look for points of interest, it almost always includes the phone number, so I can call the place to check business hours, restaurant wait times, etc.

If you do buy one, DO NOT leave it visible in your vehicle as the theft of these is extremely popular. Also, do not keep your true home address in it. It is very popular for thieves to steal the GPS and a garage door opener while you are at an event (Such as a football game or movie). Then they have a direct map to your house, a way to get inside and a timeframe of when you will be home.

My Tomtom has a suction cup mount for the windshield which is VERY sturdy and is super easy to mount and remove.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:36 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Amazon sent me an email last week and they were on sale - picked up another one - Garmin 760 for $199 with bean bag mount and carrying case... does more than just gps !

but if you always know where u are going, you won't use it...
We listen to audio books on our trips...
Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 760 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Automobile Navigator: Electronics

REALLY like the feature of looking up something on google maps and then clicking send to gps and it is there to be used !

Old 02-25-2009, 01:51 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,163 Likes on 1,056 Posts
Only bad thing about GPS' is the requirement to keep the maps current. Most manufacturers require you to BUY the newly released maps (60-100 bucks). I only update mine every OTHER year so I save somewhat. I have a Garmin. Best Buys have the maps for less than the manufacturer. Requires you to have a computer and cd drive to install.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:32 PM
dfooch
Senior User
I have a Tom Tom One. Has all the basic functions I need. For the amount of time I actually use it, it wasn't worth spending the extra money for all the bells and whistles some of the other units have. I am very satisifed with it. I went to Proclip.com and ordered a bracket and mount specific to this unit. It mounts almost flush witht the dash next to the radio. Not a big fan of the suction cup mount that leaves tell tale signs of goodies stashed in the truck to be stolen. When I'm not using the GPS, I just remove the bracket and GPS and stow it away. You can check out where it is mounted in my gallery.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:28 PM
spence13e
More Turbo
got the garmin nuvi 200. little on the small side, but it works quite well for me. haven't had it quite a year yet, but like it well enough that we got the mother-in-law one for christmas. the 200 is still out, 130 at WM, but we started with a 205 from dick's that was on sale for 170.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:36 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
Garmin Nuvi 760. Excellent unit and has all the features I wanted.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:44 PM
OBX Powerstroke
Freshman User
I have a Garmin Nuvi 350, one of those things you would not do without once you have one. Have used it on several trips to locations I had not traveled to and takes you right to location. I have found mine most useful for when we were leaving sporting events and you had no choice on the direction the Highway Patrol would direct you, punch in location and your never lost. This is the only unit I have used, had good luck but as stated above, lots of folks like the TomToms.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:06 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
I have the Garmin 530, it's about 4 years old and I love it. I'm planning on upgrading my Audio system but don't like any of the in dash GPS systems.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:18 PM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a garmin used and abused now have a magellin have one in those brands in all work trucks brother mom dad all have same never leave without it can not beat being able to find anything I want save addresses get businesses phone numbers. We need em for work but even if not I think every one should have one. It's just too convenient not to have try tellin your map to give you a list of nearby hotels or restaurants or find a detour a push of a button. And it's alot of piece of mind

Old 02-25-2009, 07:26 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
In the tow truck I use a Compaq CQ 50 notebook computer with Vista basic. ($298.00) Microsoft Streets and Trips '09 ($39.95) for my mapping program. 15.4" screen for easy to see viewing. USB GPS antenna. ($19.95) Wireless connectivity via Verizon. Plus I can watch DVDs on the computer when I have to wait for some reason. The '05 Taurus has a Alpine Navigation system and the E-350 has an older Alpine nav system which is what got me hooked on GPS.

Quick Reply: GPS in these trucks