Patch panel/Rust repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 08:10 AM
Rosati
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
Sheetmetal with my welder will be a challenge I'm sure, with only 4 heat settings. Sam
I use the 2nd lowest setting on my welder for sheetmetal. The lowest does not penetrate very good and any higher and you can blow holes. Test weld a couple of pieces together and view it from both sides, you wil see what I mean.
I also like to leave a small gap around my panels. This allows the weld to grip both pieces. A tight fitting butt joint may expand or contract and contort the surface and require even more dolly work.
This reminds me, you may want to hammer between rounds of spot welding. The finished result will be a smoother panel that requires little or no filler.

Old 07-10-2004, 08:23 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, I did some practicing on sheetmetal yesterday. I'll admit it was all old cab corner material (up in the good section of the cut off material) and that I didn't clean the material prior to experimenting.

I am using some butt welding clamps that I found at Harbor Freight. They hold the material in a forced gap of .040.

The lowest heat setting did not penetrate as you mentioned, the highest blew holes.. one of the other two worked sometimes..

Thanks,

Sam

Old 07-10-2004, 09:25 AM
ke6bnl
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
Yes, I did some practicing on sheetmetal yesterday. I'll admit it was all old cab corner material (up in the good section of the cut off material) and that I didn't clean the material prior to experimenting.

I am using some butt welding clamps that I found at Harbor Freight. They hold the material in a forced gap of .040.

The lowest heat setting did not penetrate as you mentioned, the highest blew holes.. one of the other two worked sometimes..

Thanks,

Sam

As I said I am no pro, but my understanding is that the wire speed and how much stick out is more of a factor on the amps then the 1,2.3.4 settings. the closer you get the more amps are put to the metal and the faster the wire feed the more amps avialable. try to cut back on the wire feed speed. I have the but weld spacers you mention maybe $4 a pack compared to Eastwood 2-4$ ea. What size wire are you using the smaller .023 is better for sheetmetal. Hammering after first setting up the panel and tacking is a good Idea because the big disadvantage to mig is the wire is too hard to hammerweld flat as apposed to gas and tig when the project is done. Grinding is in store to level the weld area leaving room for more warping. Esab has a wire that is called EZ Grind that is designed for this but welding and patch panel repair being EZier to grind after welding. Ed ke6bnl

Old 07-10-2004, 11:40 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by ke6bnl
What size wire are you using? The smaller .023 is better for sheetmetal. Hammering after first setting up the panel and tacking is a good idea because the big disadvantage to mig is the wire is too hard to hammerweld flat as apposed to gas and tig when the project is done.
I am using .023, having read your article, outstanding by the way.

My welder has the four power settings, 25/35/50 and 75 amps.

More experimentation to go!.. I have a while til I need the good sheetmetal skill. Will do the cab floor first, have already done all the heavy welding with flux.

Sam

Old 07-11-2004, 10:07 PM
Rosati
Postmaster
If I can make a suggestion on grinding the welds:
Use a grinder if you must, but only to take down the welds just above the surface. I have found that finishing up the grinds with one of the Dewalt (only brand I have found) flap sanding discs works best at keeping the weld area from getting gouged. I use the 220 grit for this because it sands welds quick but if used gingerly, the weld area is left flat (providing the panels are on the same plane).

Old 08-28-2004, 08:50 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Thanks for an inspiring post

Krosati...I have been restoring my 53 F-100 for the past two months. The time finally came for me to deal with the rusted out edge of my roof panel. I've never worked with sheet metal before I began this restore. Your post on patch panels gave me the confidence to proceed with doing all the body repairs myself. The results off my work based on your instruction can be veiwed in my gallery. Thanks. Jvmcc

Old 09-02-2004, 09:54 AM
Rosati
Postmaster
Great job, I can't wait to see the final result.
$40 an hour times 10 hrs adds up. I'd rather spend that money on thee truck rather than the bodyshop!
Keep us updated on the progress.

Old 11-14-2004, 07:22 PM
BillF250P
Cross-Country
Welding over Por-15

Originally Posted by jvmcc
Thanks for the post. I have very little experience working with sheet metal, but I did as you described, and the results are great. One question, you say that you apply the POR onto the metal surfaces before welding. Doesn't this still leave vunerable spots where the welds are? Wouldn't I still have to get some kind of undercoat or more POR on the backside of parts of the patch when it is in?
If you coat an area where you are going to weld with Por-15, you need a supplied air respirator. Under the heat of welding, Por-15 breaks down into, among other noxious gases, Oxides of Nitrogen, and Oxides of Sulphur,both of which have a 2PPM level of which is IDLH-( immediately dangerous to life and health). I was wearing a respirator with charcoal filters, but the gases came right thru. I couldn't smell or taste them ,but I got enough of a dose to wind up in the ER. It felt like a 500Lb weight was on my chest. The hospital said that since I wasn't already dead, I probably wouldn't go toes up, but there was no way to tell if lasting harm had been done. Por-15 is a good product, and I was smart enuf to use a respirator when applying it, but the welding thing was unforseen. I buy all my autobody stuff at Finishmaster, and it all comes with MSDS's ( material safety data sheets). And this is for use by professionals. Por-15 is sold for use by amateurs, and,in my opinion you are not adequately warned.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:31 AM
lookingtozion
New User
Hey I was just wandering how you held the patch panels in to spot weld? I am getting ready to do the corners on my 55, but I am not sure how to hold them in place once I get them cut to fit. Thanks

Old 12-01-2004, 07:54 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I am going to use a set of clamps I got from Harbor Freight. They have a small band that slides between the two pieces and clamps from both sides

called Butt welding clamps

here is the HF item

Butt Clamps

Sam

Old 12-01-2004, 08:08 AM
mt54
Posting Guru
Sam,
those clamps are great, Thanks for postin the link. I've been lookin for them even in H.F. I couldn't find them . Ididn't know what they called em. Now I can get them!!!
Thanks
Mike

Old 12-01-2004, 03:40 PM
ke6bnl
Senior User
Originally Posted by mt54
Sam,
those clamps are great, Thanks for postin the link. I've been lookin for them even in H.F. I couldn't find them . Ididn't know what they called em. Now I can get them!!!
Thanks
Mike

seems like HF get about 5$ a set while Eastwood get about 25$ a set for what seems like the same thing. Ed ke6bnl

Old 12-01-2004, 04:19 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used whatever is handy for butt welds..."C"-clamps and sometimes even tape, just to get the joint started. Those little clamps look pretty handy.

Old 12-01-2004, 04:26 PM
ke6bnl
Senior User
Originally Posted by jvmcc
I've used whatever is handy for butt welds..."C"-clamps and sometimes even tape, just to get the joint started. Those little clamps look pretty handy.
I have even used large speaker magnets to hold things in place at the other end of the weld. Ed ke6bnl

Old 12-01-2004, 05:21 PM
PabloSantana
New User
Thank you for the very helpfull information; it is greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: Patch panel/Rust repair