1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Rolling back odometer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 05:02 PM
BigDog83
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rolling back odometer?

Hey guys, I was wondering if there is any way you can tell if your odometer has been rolled back? I am asking this because I got my truck with 47,000 miles on it and now I have 78,000 miles on it and I pretty much almost had to replace everything. It was in NJ for most of its life until 2 yrs ago. I was thinking that with that low of miles, could there be that many problems with the truck? EX: whole rear-end, all pulley's on engine, both gas tanks, brackets for leaf-springs etc.

If anyone has a clue my ears are open thanks Greg

Old 02-21-2009, 05:48 PM
MustangMatt96GT
Posting Guru
Car FAX FTW

Old 02-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Diesel_Dirk
Senior User
I dont think rolling odometers back is really possible on digital gauge clusters......but replacing the whole cluster with a low milage one is very easy.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:23 PM
BigDog83
Senior User
I hope not cause thats messed up. My girlfriend is always yelling at me when i have to fix something lol

Old 02-21-2009, 07:34 PM
heathrunkles
Senior User
With a truck this old low milage is sometimes worse. I'm in maryland and I know that the trucks around here (MD, VA, PA) see a ton of salt and chemical inthe winter. With the truck just sitting i can see Rust being a huge problem. Ive replaced both tanks and the entire suspension. Diff covers and Oil pan are my constant fights to keep from rusting out. Plus Only getting driven every other week is bad for the engine keeping lube up in it and the gaskets and stuff drying out. I think I changed about everything made of rubber on the truck now.

oh the joys of a 12 year old truck.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:47 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MustangMatt96GT
Car FAX FTW
x2. I walked away from a few deal because car fax showed odometer inaccuracies. Every time a ride gets inspected the mileage is reported to the states dmv so they will know if it ever comes up short. And it is fraud so you might be able to recoup some of your money for repairs or get it all back. If I were you I would look into things, save every receipt for repairs and talk to a lawyer.

Good luck

Old 02-22-2009, 04:14 AM
kawa
Postmaster
Also, check the interior for wear, Check the brake, clutch & fuel peddles as well as the E-brake pad. Steering wheels, carpet, arm rest, upholstery, etc all of these are tattle tales of wear and tear over or under the indicated mileage.

Check the seat belts and door striker plates for excessive wear.

Good Luck.

Rog

Old 02-22-2009, 07:26 AM
BigDog83
Senior User
Kawa,
I know what you are saying. My interior through is like brand new, no stains on the carpet, no tears in seats except the cushion was a little bad like the rest of the superduty's.

Scatgo,
I'll have to check into it and see what I can find out.
Heath,
I am in the same boat as you. It prolly is from the stupid spray down salt they use, I know its a killer for metal. I'm slowing starting to catch up on everything if it needs to be fix.

Thank guys for your advice
Greg