How much Methanol expected to recover?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How much Methanol expected to recover?

After Distilling about a gallon of methanol out of a batch that started with 32 gallons of oil and 7.5 gallons of Methoxide, we went to drain bio from the processor to the wash tank. Had a very strong smell of methanol present, so back into the processor it goes. Manage to distill about a half gallon more out @ about 145-150 degrees. The Glycerol also has a very strong smell to it, and I thought that most of the methanol was in there. My question is, about how much methanol should be expected in each? What happens if methanol is introduced into the wash tank, or if gets into the engine?

thanks

Old 02-15-2009, 06:42 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There are quite a few variables in Methanol recovery. I recover about 45% of the total methanol I use ( I use 20%) on average. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Most of it is in the glycerol. I usually get about 20-30% from the glycerol, and 10-15% from the bio.

I usually make 10 fifty gallons batches at a time ( 50 gallons WVO/10 gallons of Methanol) and will recover about 4.5 gallons of Methanol from each batch.

Washing will remove most all the remaining Methanol out( either dry or water) Leaving excess methanol in the fuel is not good for your engine! It will absorb moisture, and can cause corrosion of the IP, and injectors........

Old 02-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

So figuring 10-15% from the bio, 1.5 gallons fits right in there. That's comforting. We were a little concerned due to the strong methanol smell. Is the strong smell common? Should attach a picture of the bio, it turned out a slight honey color like the pics you've posted.
The weather's finally getting warm enough to do something, hope to get at least another batch going this week, hopefully 2.
thanks again.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:43 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, the smell is common in unwashed bio. Be very careful of breathing Methanol fumes! Methanol is a neurotoxin, and even a small amount is dangerous to humans!

Sounds like you are comming along just fine!

Old 02-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Yes, the smell is common in unwashed bio. Be very careful of breathing Methanol fumes! Methanol is a neurotoxin, and even a small amount is dangerous to humans!
yes, we are going to put one of those ventilation turbines in the roof, along with opening up windows...