Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Removing catalytic converter legal or not

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 10:45 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by swing fixer
Reviving and OLD thread vs starting a new one....

Here's my situation, just bought an '02 7.3 w/manual tranny from a Dealership. Vehicle was sold by the dealership on consignment. All of my paperwork on the sale states that I bought the vehicle from them (actual owner's name no where on paperwork). Live in Colorado, some counties have emissions testing while others don't.

My county does have emissions testing. Took it in to get tested yesterday, truck passed on the actual test (runs VERY clean) but upon visual inspection there was no Cat. Engine sticker says the truck has to have a Cat, truck failed as a result.

My question is this ... how culpable is the dealership for selling me a vehicle that was missing required equipment to pass emissions and thus get registered? Their story is that since they didn't actually own the truck, they never did and inspection and thus never knew about the missing Cat. Dealership has offered to split the cost with me to have a cat installed but that means i'm still coming out of pocket hundreds of dollars.

Any advice you experts can give would be great. I really feel that the dealership should pay for the entire install to make the truck right. Wasn't sure if I had a legal leg to stand on.

Thanks for listening.
I would just register in another county that does not inspect.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:40 AM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was it a new/Ford car dealer or side lot? I would think that it is on the dealer, period. It is their responsibility to insure a vehicle is legal. Manual transmission trucks did have a CAT from the factory, autos did not regardless of the state sold (e'99 to '03 7.3). Mine is a Cali truck sold new here and no CAT. Has the sticker to prove it. Guy at a local truck shop lost a sale on a whole new 4" exhaust system because he demanded that I have a CAT installed when it was not needed.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:15 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 127 Posts
I have an '02 and this question has been around the board several times. I live (not by choice, long story) in CA that has the strictest smog laws and I can assure you, even here, the '02 7.3 did not come with nor is a catalytic converter required.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:33 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
Depends, was the truck sold "as is" or did it come with a warranty. The loophole will be that someone living in an area that does not require a CAT could just have easily purchased it and would not have a problem. If the truck was manufactured without one then you are not required to put one on it. Going by the sticker is another issue as I have seen some recommend to others on here to swap out the stickers to a non-cat sticker so they could try and pass a smog. I read an early reply to this post some years ago that said only 07 and later needed smog but this is not true. I have an 02 that gets smog checked every two years but the problem with CA smog checks are that they are not state wide. Even specific counties may only have a partial smog check zone. I live in Riverside County so the west half gets smog checks while the east half is not required to have them. Another idea may be to contact the original owner and see if he/she had a CAT and if they removed it and/or if they still have it if it did come with one.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:36 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Lightbulb

Mecdac, I think you were pointing me in the direction of a VIN check. I used the VIN decoder on this site and didn't see any info on the Cat. Did I screw it up? Is there a more complete VIN decoder site somewhere?
How about getting the OASIS report? It is normally free of charge from your FORD dealer. I have seen a better VIN decoder..let me look.

Originally Posted by tjc transport
if the engine sticker said it needs a cat,i would not look any further, because anything else you will find will say the same thing.
And again...
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Unfortunately, the sticker is not the final say and doesn't confirm official standing because stickers can be taken off or added. The VIN is where the official word is determined.
Stewart
The answer:
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
I have an '02 and this question has been around the board several times. I live (not by choice, long story) in CA that has the strictest smog laws and I can assure you, even here, the '02 7.3 did not come with nor is a catalytic converter required.
One of the many reason I bought a 7.3.

BTW, this thread was originated almost six (6) years ago, just sayin'.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
And FYI, E99 7.3L in California do have to have Cat's with Auto trans. I have one. And sticks did not on the E99. It changed after that.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:49 PM
greg_8507
Elder User
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
I would think that it is on the dealer, period. It is their responsibility to insure a vehicle is legal.
I don't know if it is common practice anymore with all the changes in credit laws over the last several years, but most dealers use to have a hand full of run down, beat up, barely running cars that they would finance to people with bad credit through a local lender(for a kick back I assume). The lender might get the first few payments before the loan went to collections and and the car got repo'd. 6 mo's later that same car would be back at the same dealership. These cars were sold strictly AS-IS and probably shouldn't have been on the road. But it was a way for people with fat pockets to make more money.

This was also in South Carolina where they stopped doing vehicle inspections back in the early 90's. You can buy a new 6.7 and remove all emissions controls off of it with no worries.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:11 PM
swing fixer
Junior User
Truck was bought from a Ford Dealership....as small family owned one but a Ford dealership nonetheless. Truck was NOT sold with a warranty provided by the dealership but at the time of purchase I did purchase a supplemental warranty with the truck. I'll have to make a call but I doubt the warranty I purchased would cover equipment that was never there.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Truck was bought from a Ford Dealership....as small family owned one but a Ford dealership nonetheless. Truck was NOT sold with a warranty provided by the dealership but at the time of purchase I did purchase a supplemental warranty with the truck. I'll have to make a call but I doubt the warranty I purchased would cover equipment that was never there.
Check the law. I know for certain a vehicle sold here in California by a commercial dealer has to have a certain percentage of brake pad material left, front and back, and all safety equipment must be present and in working order (seat belts, air bags, etc).

I'm not sure, but I believe all OEM emissions equipment must be on the vehicle and in proper working order too.

Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
... and I can assure you, even here, the '02 7.3 did not come with nor is a catalytic converter required.
Correct, an '02 7.3L equipped with a 4R100 didn't come with a cat. However, manual transmissions are a different story.

Stewart

Old 11-23-2014, 07:13 PM
swing fixer
Junior User
Been trying to find the colorado laws but so far haven't come accross anything helpful.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:33 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
You could go back to them and ask. If it's a small family-owned one they may favor customer loyalty over volume sales. You could talk to the sales manager and tell him/her what you found. Ask them if they are willing to work with you to fix this issue. If they ask, let them know they did not discuss any emission equipment issues so you were under the impression that all the required equipment was installed and in working order in able to pass the emissions test. Tell them you are doing legal research on the issue but feel they should make it right and install a catalytic converter on the truck at no cost to you.

If that doesn't work you can request to talk to someone higher. I'm not sure of the legal aspect but I would think that is something they should have told you since they should have found that on one of the inspections they did on it before putting out front for sale. I don't think it's unrealistic that you should be able to buy a vehicle from a dealership, drive it down the street and have it pass a smog check.

It may not work, but they may ask you for your information. I would think something that's a drop in the bucket for them is worth resolving rather than wasting time haggling over. It's not like they gave a flat tire for a spare.

Just my .02. That's what I would do. As my wife always tells me...you catch more flies with honey.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:46 AM
sowaxeman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm guessing this situation varies by state. I learned here in Indiana last year when looking at a 2004 F-350 Dually, that a dealer (actual Ford dealer) will not keep/sell a used vehicle if the catalytic has been removed. The truck I was looking at had no cat or muffler. The Car Fax report showed the dealer took it in on trade, and rather than selling it they sent it to auction right away where the local used car lot where I test drove it found it. Called the Ford dealer to inquire WHY they would let it go rather than sell it (nice truck ~$18k) thinking they might have known something seriously wrong with it. They said it was flagged for auction because "no cat", that they can't resell a used vehicle with no cats. I also learned that once that was discovered they don't even continue to inspect the truck for "certified used vehicle" status. They'd make more at auction then spending the money on exhaust restoration to resell.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:18 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 127 Posts
I am sure CO has a governing body that over sees there smog program (CA uses BAR, Bureau of Automotive Repair). Contact them to determine if a cat is needed for your specific truck. All this might be for naught if it is not required. That is where I would start.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:15 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Here in California it's the sellers responsibility to have it smog certified before sale.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:32 PM
swing fixer
Junior User
Thanks everyone for the advise/help/insight. Got the cat put on and my truck passed emissions. So far dealership has paid for 1/2. I'm going to keep contacting them to see if they can meet me a little closer than 1/2 way. I may not make much progress but at least I've got my truck back, it's legal, and I wasn't stuck for the full amount.

Quick Reply: Removing catalytic converter legal or not