Removing catalytic converter legal or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertJohn
Why not just hollow it out ??
Use a pipe or something and a big hammer and make it straight through.. Then you've got a "cat" in appearence but with no guts..
I think the bigger question he has is if the truck don't have it, and doesn't need it therefore no need to have one installed.

To the OP, Does the Vegas area require emission inspections?

Old 02-20-2009, 12:52 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
My early 99 Cali truck must have had a factory cat- the sticker under the hood says "Catalyst" but it was long gone before I bought the truck. At least I don't live somewhere that I have to do emissions testing!

Old 02-20-2009, 02:01 PM
HH60FE
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mines an 03, no cat

Old 05-11-2012, 10:29 AM
89fordhalfton
Freshman User
without them they add power i took mine off and fastened them around the pipe so it looks like i still have them. it also gave good mileage but this is on my gasser.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:57 PM
pminne
Rocky Mountain High
Short answer is no. In general, newer diesels are required to have them due to the newer EPA regs since 2003. Part of the reason Ford went to the dreaded 6.0L in 2004 was to satisfy these new rules within a quick turn around time. I'm assuming that the reason you are in this forum in the first place is likely because you bought a 7.3L to avoid all those hassles with the 6.0L. The only way I would have one installed on my truck now is if the law changed and I wasn't able to register it or pass the emissions test. And then I would have it removed after the inspection ;-) (that's a joke, please don't send me anti-tree hugger messages)

Old 05-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by pminne
Short answer is no.
Just FYI my friend, this thread is over 3 yrs old.

Part of the reason Ford went to the dreaded 6.0L in 2004
2003, actually. Midyear during the production run.

But yeah, like you said, short answer is no.

Gas or diesel, smog equipment cannot be tampered or altered in any way. It doesn't matter if the state has inspections or smog checks.

Stewart

Old 05-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Krazymaan
Senior User
I'll make it easier. If the sticker in the door says NON-CATALYST that means you do not need a converter, you will never need a converter and it doesn't matter what state your in, you will not need to put a converter on your truck, It was converter exempt from the time it was built and never will need one by law. Thats like saying California is going to make you put a converter on your original 1964 Mustang with an original engine. But they will make you put a converter on your mustang if it has a post 1974 engine.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazymaan
I'll make it easier. If the sticker in the door says NON-CATALYST that means you do not need a converter, you will never need a converter and it doesn't matter what state your in, you will not need to put a converter on your truck, It was converter exempt from the time it was built and never will need one by law. Thats like saying California is going to make you put a converter on your original 1964 Mustang with an original engine. But they will make you put a converter on your mustang if it has a post 1974 engine.
Unfortunately, the sticker is not the final say and doesn't confirm official standing because stickers can be taken off or added. The VIN is where the official word is determined.

Stewart

Old 05-12-2012, 03:23 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ponyboychris
I would be very surprised if the state of Nevada requires Cat's.
Chris, you would be surprised...NV requires a cat IF the VIN comes back to a vehicle which originally was equipped with a cat. In practice, it all depends on the county of registration in Nevada...in Clark (Las Vegas region) and Washoe (Reno region) counties diesels under 14k GVCW are inspected, all other counties are exempt. This is why my truck is registered in NM...

Old 05-12-2012, 08:41 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
My '03 doesn't have a cat for the automatic transmission. I can't speak for the manual.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:10 PM
swing fixer
Junior User
Reviving and OLD thread vs starting a new one....

Here's my situation, just bought an '02 7.3 w/manual tranny from a Dealership. Vehicle was sold by the dealership on consignment. All of my paperwork on the sale states that I bought the vehicle from them (actual owner's name no where on paperwork). Live in Colorado, some counties have emissions testing while others don't.

My county does have emissions testing. Took it in to get tested yesterday, truck passed on the actual test (runs VERY clean) but upon visual inspection there was no Cat. Engine sticker says the truck has to have a Cat, truck failed as a result.

My question is this ... how culpable is the dealership for selling me a vehicle that was missing required equipment to pass emissions and thus get registered? Their story is that since they didn't actually own the truck, they never did and inspection and thus never knew about the missing Cat. Dealership has offered to split the cost with me to have a cat installed but that means i'm still coming out of pocket hundreds of dollars.

Any advice you experts can give would be great. I really feel that the dealership should pay for the entire install to make the truck right. Wasn't sure if I had a legal leg to stand on.

Thanks for listening.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:10 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
that is a tough one you will need to talk to a lawyer on. if their name is the only one on the contract, and it was sold as emissions ready, i would say it is all on them. if it was sold as is, it will be on you and they are being decent about it by splitting the price.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:39 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Old 11-23-2014, 08:48 AM
swing fixer
Junior User
Mecdac, I think you were pointing me in the direction of a VIN check. I used the VIN decoder on this site and didn't see any info on the Cat. Did I screw it up? Is there a more complete VIN decoder site somewhere?

Old 11-23-2014, 10:22 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
if the engine sticker said it needs a cat,i would not look any further, because anything else you will find will say the same thing.

Quick Reply: Removing catalytic converter legal or not